Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an unfortunate cambelt snap earlier this year causing complete mayhem the the heads. All the valves were bent, but fortunately no piston damage. Dawie de Villers (Glenwood Motors) redid the heads, and everything is working well, except the lifters that are quite noisy now. The noise is not excessive, but noticable. It is not the sort of noise when they are drained on startup with some clatter that goes away until filled with oil. It is a constant remote clatter, and definitely more noisy than it used to be.

The questions I have the following:
- Does a noisy lifter mean it operates less effective than it should?
- Any potential of further damage?
- Any ways and means of making it quieter for now? (apart from replacing them which will happen towards the end of the year when I do the 3.7 conversion)

Anybody with either a similar experience or advice they can offer on the problem.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,100 Posts
I had an unfortunate cambelt snap earlier this year causing complete mayhem the the heads. All the valves were bent, but fortunately no piston damage. Dawie de Villers (Glenwood Motors) redid the heads, and everything is working well, except the lifters that are quite noisy now. The noise is not excessive, but noticable. It is not the sort of noise when they are drained on startup with some clatter that goes away until filled with oil. It is a constant remote clatter, and definitely more noisy than it used to be.

The questions I have the following:
- Does a noisy lifter mean it operates less effective than it should?
- Any potential of further damage?
- Any ways and means of making it quieter for now? (apart from replacing them which will happen towards the end of the year when I do the 3.7 conversion)

Anybody with either a similar experience or advice they can offer on the problem.

Thanks
Noise is caused by an excessive amount of play... Maybe some dirt left behind in the oil channels of the hydraulic tappets ?
You could try something like this:
Liqui Moly Official Website

Other makes have similar stuff, like f.i. Forte ...
http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Top_end.htm

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes Forte is the only additive I would recommend as it really does work. Unlike the over priced trash in a bottle you see in most Halfords.

When I used it in my Fiat, it improved performance, made it nicer to start and you should have seen what it flushed out :O

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
After 3 flushes mine still came back after a few weeks

I finally changed all 24, even though it was only 1 bugger.

The bligters are cheap, 80 bucks a shot here.

It's the cambelt change and labour that is the real money.

Oddly enough, mine started a week or two after a cambelt change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts