Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read numerous times that the 147 GTA will outdrag a Civic Type R, Focus ST and Golf GTI but what i want to know is will it give a Porsche Boxter a run for its money.

If it does then can the GTA be put into the junior supercar class and not just a quick hot hatch?

Im asking because the GTA bug has bitten me! (I want one!!!!)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think the 147gta is a great car.
There is more than one type of Boxster, eg 2.5, 2.7 & S variants.
It may out-drag an early Boxster tiptronic, but I doubt very much that its as good as a Boxster S around twisty country lanes. The Boxster is a brilliant car, superb balance, handling,response,+ reliable, OK with high miles, cheap to run, etc etc. Its good enough to question the need for a 911 unless badge snobbery/its a girls car stuff is important to you.
But hey, a Boxster is a 2 seater & costs £35k+, with a couple of toys, & a 2nd hand 147gta allows for kids, & is outrageous vfm.
Both are great, in different ways. If you want to be a traffic-light hero, the gta may be enough, but its no Boxster.
Love 'em both, in different ways.
Matt.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The later boxter-S are a bit quicker quicker in s straight line, but a hell of a lot quicker around corners.

The Boxter really does have a delicious balance and a well driven boxter-S (even the older version Boxter-s) would keep an M3 honest, somehting that a standard GTA wouldn't be able to do.

The 147 GTA sounds better though!
(and looks better too imho)

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
169 Posts
I dont realy care if the boxter is quicker than a GTA ! all i know is the GTA is a lot nicer looking, and a lot more comfy and it dont look like a girls car! :thumbs:

·
Registered
271 Posts
yep fantastic car the boxster may be, but mostly driven by posh totty (high-class *****s ;) ).

doubt wether on-the-limit-handling is top concern when parking outside a boutique.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The 147 GTA's performance is fantastic. In Autocar's 0-100-0 mph test a couple of years ago it beat the Boxter(S??) and 350Z....

With my GTA I've raced various other (generally German) cars with mixed results.

I've raced various 911s and there was nothing in it. Even a new 2007 911 through 2nd, 3rd, 4th couldn't get away from me.It made me laugh that a brand new 100, 000 euro+ Porsche couldn't beat my 147 that cost me 15, 000 euro.... And the Boxters I've raced were easy meat too.

2 cars that I have had to move over for with the were a 335i and a 350slk....

An RX-7 was much quicker from a standing start(better traction, bad driving by me) but once up and running the 147 kills it.

In a straight line I'd say only the S3 can match the 147. But the noise from the 147 is much better. There's nothing like it.

I fitted Q2, Bilstein, Eibach to my 147 to make it handle properly and for a hatch it's great but a sorted GTV handles better.

H

·
0 Posts
Its good enough to question the need for a 911 unless badge snobbery/its a girls car stuff is important to you.

The boxter and the 911 are aimed at two completely different groups. The Cayman is the non essential Porsche, sitting pretty much exactly half way between it's big (911) and little (boxter) brothers) in cost and performance

Of the Porsche line up I'd take the 911 GT2 or 3 any day of the week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts