Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
46,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only got 260 miles out of my first tank of petrol! :eek:

I have been, on the drive to work (which is in traffic so generally involves cruising at between 40 and 60 mph), sticking it in 6th. The torque this engine has means that it seemed quite happy at this, even though it meant the revs were down to about 1500rpm - I assumed this would give me the best economy. On a quick (and not necessarily conclusive) experiment on Friday though, it seems that, at that type of speed, 5th is more economical, despite obviously meaning higher revs.
I seem to have found that if revs drop much below 2000 rpm, fuel economy suffers, maybe the engine is struggling a bit at that.

Mind you, not sure I trust the computer that much, I seem to get the best figures when crawling along in 2nd, surely same revs in 5th should give better range?

·
Administrator
46,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping economy would be quite comparable with the Coupe, but it looks like I'll have to cope with a drop of about 10%.
Mind you, it's worth it for that exhaust note. Come to think of it, once I get more used to that exhauist note, I might get slightly better figures, if you see what I mean.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Certainly at 40mph I have found 5th better than 6th, my recollection is that this was the case when my car was standard too.

Set the trip computer to show real time MPG if you haven't already, its very educational.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just put a tank in so Ill see how I go. averaging 22ish tho on the combined trip.

sucks ass but worth it for the times you get to floor it.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Don't worry too much, sounds like you're suffering from new GTA syndrome. My first few tanks I got around 200 miles out of. Then once I was used to the growl this improved somewhat. I currently get around 27 out of mine, but this can be considerably lower if I decide to "push on!";)

·
Registered
352 Posts
out of interest what would cause poor mpg on a gta? Bar too much of the loud pedal of course!

on the motorway at 80 in 6th with the cruise control on Im seeing 29ish mpg which seems a little low to me.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I was always under the impression that in ANY engine, driving everywhere at 1500rpm would result in a WORSE fuel economy than allowing the engine to rev.
Something to do with labouring, requiring more effort to speed up due to lack of momentum (if needed) and the way the fuel map is geared towards more at low end for standing starts.

:confused:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
29ish at 80mph is about normal I would say.

out of interest what would cause poor mpg on a gta? Bar too much of the loud pedal of course!

on the motorway at 80 in 6th with the cruise control on Im seeing 29ish mpg which seems a little low to me.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
that sounds about right - I get between 260 and 280 out of a tank on mine. Only a few times have I managed 300....
I range from about 240 to 270 in ordinary, non-motorway driving. The only times I've seen 300+ is on longish motorway trips. But it's worth it:D

·
Administrator
46,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was always under the impression that in ANY engine, driving everywhere at 1500rpm would result in a WORSE fuel economy than allowing the engine to rev.
Something to do with labouring, requiring more effort to speed up due to lack of momentum (if needed) and the way the fuel map is geared towards more at low end for standing starts.

:confused:
Yep, I agree Bob. I was 'tricked' into thinking the GTA wasn't labouring at that rev range by the torque it has, being quite happy to pull away even at such low revs.
Do I remember reading somewhere that most efficient running should be around max torque? Maybe someone should experiment with that. I'm not going to though, despite the GTA seemign to have good low down torque, according to the handbook it maxes at about 4750rpm. Would be interesting to see the curve - I guess it must be pretty flat across a very wide rev band.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Thats just for a given gear Bazza.
I guess the real answer is the highest gear where the engine isn't labouring for a given speed/hill,load,wind etc.

Do I remember reading somewhere that most efficient running should be around max torque?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can get mid 30's in 6th at between 80 and 100 on a motorway - this is using the real time actual fuel consumption readout on the computer.

For a 3.2V6 , this is very good on a motorway run - but then, drop a gear and floor it and it's easy to drop to the low 20's.

Around town - screaming up to 6000/6500 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, it's not too hard to get in the region of 11 to 15 mpg, and then easing off, it will rise again to low 20's.

Per

·
Administrator
46,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw 60-odd on the actual readout once. Didn't stay there very long though :D

N

·
0 Posts
I only ever use 6th on the autoroute.

And to be honest 5th doesn't get much look-in
on the run to work either :D:D:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
GTA and fuel economy are words that sit uncomfortably together.

I like to think in terms of tanks per week, rather than miles per tank. :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep, I agree Bob. I was 'tricked' into thinking the GTA wasn't labouring at that rev range by the torque it has, being quite happy to pull away even at such low revs.
Do I remember reading somewhere that most efficient running should be around max torque? Maybe someone should experiment with that. I'm not going to though, despite the GTA seemign to have good low down torque, according to the handbook it maxes at about 4750rpm. Would be interesting to see the curve - I guess it must be pretty flat across a very wide rev band.
Go to Rototest website and look it up. VERY interesting, quite broad torque range, but definitely biased towards plus 3500 revs. :D

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
24.1 mpg average over 48,000 miles.

Falls well under 20mpg if I do short commuting journeys or try and get a move on.

My best 350 miles on a tankful cruising on autoroutes, but I did get 64 litres into the 65 litre tank at the end of that run.

Andy

·
Registered
495 Posts
My best 350 miles on a tankful cruising on autoroutes, but I did get 64 litres into the 65 litre tank at the end of that run.

Andy
'Running on vapour' as it's called I believe :D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts