Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having started my "Petrolhead" weekend with a full tank of gas, I then covered 278 miles in various manners.

Mainly sensible motorway driving (fun speeds when travelling with other alfas can easily result in "Road Racing" charges for all concerned!), the occasional 'warp speed' moment and the odd dice with mr twit in his Carrera (they're actually quite slow!) but what REALLY killed it was the frustrating queuing into SAD. Those V6s do NOT like stop start stuff.

As a result, on refilling I worked it out at 21mpg. Which is pretty poor. Normally get 28+ and that's driving it like it's possessed (which I think it is!)

This topic has probably been covered before but I couldn't find it.

So is 21 reasonable to other GTAers or what?

(I am not complaining btw. Anyone who buys a 3.2 V6 SERIOUSLY cant gripe about regular trios to the pumps :lol: )

E

·
0 Posts
If you were stuck in a queue for some time, yeah 21 seems reasonable. That really is the killer for fuel consumption with a 3.2 lump, I think mine got to under 20mpg last year when I got stuck going to the biggin hill air show. Normally with a mix of driving I will get about 26 mpg and on a run with mostly motorway I can squeeze about 34 mpg.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm getting an average 25mpg which is much better than I thought and well worth it for the fantastic engine! No need for a stereo!

M

·
0 Posts
My short trips to work return me about 16 mpg! But then we buy these cars to drive them(unless it's just been cleaned and it starts raining in which case it stays on the drive:lol: )so if it needs a little money spent on fuel then who cares! Listening to that V6 sing is a privilege, so I don't mind giving the fuel station an open cheque book when I need to fill up!! Not sure how long the wife will put up with beans on toast though:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
i think 22-25mpg is around the average consumption for a standard GTA, on normal every day journeys....

highest I have ever had is about 31mpg on a long motorway run at 80mph

·
Registered
809 Posts
i get 24-30 in my 1.6!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: what the hell?!!!
Crikey, You must be doing something wrong.

I regularly get upper 30's over a tankful.

One thing though...

I can't help thinking there's a lot of Fuel Economy issues/queries on this forum.

If ya want 50 to the gallon... Buy a Micra.:lol:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've been monitoring my fuel 'economy' since January using a little iPhone app called Road Trip (Lite – the free version). Rather geeky I know, but interesting all the same. Will post some screen grabs once the 'experiment' is over, but for now, some current stats...
  • Average: 20.9 MPG (over 2,631 miles)
  • Best: 24.2 MPG
  • Worst: 18.3 MPG
Interestingly, the price of fuel has fluctuated between 0.87p and 0.96p per litre during this period. Most I've had out of tank is 320 miles.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I dont get much worse fuel economy from my GTA than i did from my 2.0 twinny.
Makes sense really. apart from the extra energy lost to heat and noise, the engine is propelling a car of a similar weight, but with taller gearing and more torque so less revs per mph.

My twinny was very poor on fuel when driven hard and the GTA is not much worse,just more fun:)

G

·
0 Posts
just for laugh I drove home steadily ( ie boring ) last night 14 miles got38.4 !:)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
If you were stuck in a queue for some time, yeah 21 seems reasonable. That really is the killer for fuel consumption with a 3.2 lump, I think mine got to under 20mpg last year when I got stuck going to the biggin hill air show. Normally with a mix of driving I will get about 26 mpg and on a run with mostly motorway I can squeeze about 34 mpg.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
That's the thing I noticed when I owned one. Driving around fuel economy was ok, at motorway speeds it was good, in traffic it was awful.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Since changing jobs a month ago I have been doing a lot of business miles, shared between my GTA SW (for sale due to the mileage I'm now doing!) and my wife's A4 2.0T. In the GTA I very often get 28-32mpg for long runs, especially when they are almost all flowing, yet traffic means speed is limited to say 50-70mph. For all use I'm averaging about 28 for this period. I should probably add my air con doesn't work, so that helps...

Traffic is the killer - especially if done with a cold engine at the start of the journey - the same run in reverse (starting free-flowing then with traffic at the end) results in much better economy. The other day I drove into central London and for the first 60 miles of the 70 mile journey I was around 30mpg average. Then it dropped to 28 ish with 5 miles to go, and was down below 24 for the journey by the end - all caused by the traffic in the last few miles. Driving across London that night, to exit the other side of town, I was around 14-18mpg for much of the journey (rush hour!) and even a decent motorway run at the end barely saw it scrape above 20mpg for the journey (40 miles ish in this case). Town cars, GTA's are not...

Used frugally I push 500 miles a tank in the Audi, approaching 400 in the GTA. But the Audi tends to return 450 ish even when pressing on where possible, whereas the Alfa easily drops to sub-300. But it's worth every penny :cool: I really don't like turbo lumps, even supposedly "lag free" ones like the VAG 2.0T lump.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts