Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gta is in on weds for new rad and silicon pipes etc so the front bumper will be coming off.

Im gonna take the opportunity to get the front bumper mesh grills off and have them shot blasted and painted.

My question is dare I paint them silver rather than standard black? Will it look cool :cool: or :vomit:

Anyone who is handy with photoshop feel free to mock it up and see how it looks ;)

Opinions appreciated :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
The mesh in clips, but is really thin metal. Getting it out intact will be tricky. I'd suggest if you want black, clean it up with degreaser/paint prep solvent. Hand paint with plasti-kote liquid paint or mask and spray. It is proper @@@@ to a blanket stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mesh in clips, but is really thin metal. Getting it out intact will be tricky. I'd suggest if you want black, clean it up with degreaser/paint prep solvent. Hand paint with plasti-kote liquid paint or mask and spray. It is proper @@@@ to a blanket stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I did think about plasticote but thought because of the exposed position of the grilles it would peel off pretty easily and then look poo.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Silver will look shocking!! Painted mine last week. Masked all off n sprayed with a can of satin black. Looks the business now. Don't mind if it chips or that cause it takes 2 mins n ill jus keep doin it!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silver will look shocking!! Painted mine last week. Masked all off n sprayed with a can of satin black. Looks the business now. Don't mind if it chips or that cause it takes 2 mins n ill jus keep doin it!
Suppose I can always paint over them if they look s**t :lol:

Did you put something behind the grill to stop the paint going through onto the radiator etc?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just paint it very sideways if u know wat I mean lol. To get inside the wee honeycomb bit u'll have to anyway. Others nite say it wud go through n hurt the radiator but tbh it's minimal. Did it on my old bm many many times. If u do the silver put a pic up for a looksie

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just paint it very sideways if u know wat I mean lol. To get inside the wee honeycomb bit u'll have to anyway. Others nite say it wud go through n hurt the radiator but tbh it's minimal. Did it on my old bm many many times. If u do the silver put a pic up for a looksie
Will do :thumbs: Then i'll duck and wait for the slating comments :lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Tom here had his silver car painted and the shop accidentally painted them silver. I saw it and it did look a bit odd. Ha wasn't very happy and got them to change it but he might have a picture of it. Pm fa57gta :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tom here had his silver car painted and the shop accidentally painted them silver. I saw it and it did look a bit odd. Ha wasn't very happy and got them to change it but he might have a picture of it. Pm fa57gta :)
Cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Lol I'd say there will b a few. Love ur black n silver plenum n cover. Did u do that urself?? I want to do mine black n silver ridges with red alfa romeo
Had it all powder coated by a factory when it was all in bits getting the cambelt changed a couple of months ago. Been wanting it done for years but waited until the cambelt service to save a bit of cash ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
I had mine done last week. As has been said, clips/nuts were rusted and they binned them and refitted them with new fasteners (the body shop did this part).

Had them powder coated at Romax (in Stockton). They were shocking before, they look like new now. Well chuffed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts