Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage just phoned. The inner driveshaft gaiters are no longer available as a separate item... and they want £280 exchange for a complete new drive shaft.

Someone must have stepped in to buy up all the old stock or fill a void like that in the market... any ideas? Google's not turning up anything immediately obvious... :cry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know Motor Parts Direct can get them. I'm sure J & R can too.
They are the same on the 2.5 V6 and 2.4 10v 156, along with the 3.0 GTV and no doubt 166 V6s.
Thanks for that. No luck at MPD (tried 147 3.2 and 156 2.5 for the '03 model year).

J&R seem to have stuff. On terminology though... I get that boot = gaiter but nearly every part has "CV" thrown in the description when the garage assure me CV gaiter and driveshaft gaiter are distinctly different things... I need inner driveshaft gaiter (D/S but not handed AFAIK).

Alfa Romeo - bootkits - J & R Trading (UK) Ltd Store

Is my bit here? On the brink of saving a pretty penny here...

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Ned's solution looks like a winner.

The other alternative is to use a universal boot. A lot of all makes garages use them because it means they can cover whatever comes in without carrying a big stock or waiting on the motor factor's van arriving. Trim it to size and nobody will be any the wiser.

There are probably other cars with the same size boot too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTA inner CV boots have never been available from officially from Alfa, we use 2.4 diesel ones and have them in stock, they are a bit tight to fit but work perfectly

£14.40 each

Ned
I've emailed the details and await a call back for credit card processing... thanks everyone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ned's solution looks like a winner.

The other alternative is to use a universal boot. A lot of all makes garages use them because it means they can cover whatever comes in without carrying a big stock or waiting on the motor factor's van arriving. Trim it to size and nobody will be any the wiser.

There are probably other cars with the same size boot too.
My garage did give me this option... they just said they would know it it was going to work until they got in there... fair enough really. Sorted now though. Thanks for the help. Friendly here isn't it? :) Forums for other car brands can be a bit OFFS :rant: with newbies...

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
My garage did give me this option... they just said they would know it it was going to work until they got in there... fair enough really. Sorted now though. Thanks for the help. Friendly here isn't it? :) Forums for other car brands can be a bit OFFS :rant: with newbies...
As long as you don't ask about oil or tyres you'll mostly be fine on here. :lol:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
You have to trim universal ones very, very short in order for them to fit. Trust me - I had to use one to get someone's GTV through an MOT.
Fitted a proper one as soon as I could get one though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts