Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I have found the only car I will happily get out of my GTA for and now I'm getting itchy feet.

Most will know I had a MK5 R32 before the GTA and I have always been a VAG fan.

Now as I will never want another R32 as I don't fancy it going walkies again I am leaning towards replacing my GTA for a MK1 S3, the new one has helped bring the prices down and if im honest it is really making me think.

Anyone driven both S3 and GTA or have opinions on the original S3?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Right, I have found the only car I will happily get out of my GTA for and now I'm getting itchy feet.

Most will know I had a MK5 R32 before the GTA and I have always been a VAG fan.

Now as I will never want another R32 as I don't fancy it going walkies again I am leaning towards replacing my GTA for a MK1 S3, the new one has helped bring the prices down and if im honest it is really making me think.

Anyone driven both S3 and GTA or have opinions on the original S3?
is that the 4 cylinder turbo version?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
erm yeah, 1.8 turbo 225 version. on around an 02/03 reg.

I can sense you have information.....

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Not driven one but I know there is scope for big power gains for relativly modest costs. I did consider one but they are a bit bland and in terms of it getting nicked I would think it is just as bad as the golf

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I drove a mates for approx 300 miles.........fast, discreet, quiet, safe and soul-less.

Running costs are similar to a GTA, interior build quality is better but he's had some big bills this year (125,000miles on a 52 plate)

Not for me:tut:

edit - oh and his other car is a girly Boxster.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not driven one but I know there is scope for big power gains for relativly modest costs. I did consider one but they are a bit bland and in terms of it getting nicked I would think it is just as bad as the golf
yeah thats what is still in my head, not sure whether they are still a target with the new ones being out for a good while now but it is what stopped me when the Golf originally went

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove a mates for approx 300 miles.........fast, discreet, quiet, safe and soul-less.

Running costs are similar to a GTA, interior build quality is better but he's had some big bills this year (125,000miles on a 52 plate)

Not for me:tut:

edit - oh and his other car is a girly Boxster.........:rolleyes:
dont know what it is that interests me, in real life I should not be looking as I ADORE my GTA

·
Registered
681 Posts
erm yeah, 1.8 turbo 225 version. on around an 02/03 reg.

I can sense you have information.....
It is a very good car don't get me wrong and you will need to find a well looked after exampleas I don't find the VAG build quality that great nowa days!
Not much to look at though is it, and when you work on them day in day out its just a glorified golf really engine wise its a set of cams and map for the extra horses.
I guess on the upside there fast handle really well
The airflow, coolant temp, coils, and water leaks from thermostat + housings, water pumps are the main cause of head gasket which are the only problems so nothing major.

oh and Dash display can go funny. also window regs are very weak on all VAG models

If that what your heart wants then go for it

M

·
0 Posts
I have always liked the understated looks of the S3, although never been a fan of the interior. I can only imagine you might just regret the swap.................................

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'd have one as a stealthy motorway mile muncher if I had to but not to replace a GTA with.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why not make the swap to a 147GTA if you want a hatch:thumbs::thumbs:
prefer the saloon ;)

No but seriously I dont know what it is, maybe as the weather has been garbage and ive not been able to give it a full detail and the fact I need a new slave cylinder or clutch at worse.

Bloody VAG has some kind of curse over me.

I NEED AN INFLUX OF CASH TO GET A Q2!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've never driven an S3 (which makes me perfectly situated to comment on them on an internet forum) but they've dated incredibly badly, IMO.

If you're after a project car to make devistatingly quick, its a good way to go. If it were me, though, and I was after something VAG around a similar price, I'd be looking at Mk4 R32's, or early MK5 Golf GTi's.

M

·
0 Posts
prefer the saloon ;)

No but seriously I dont know what it is, maybe as the weather has been garbage and ive not been able to give it a full detail and the fact I need a new slave cylinder or clutch at worse.

Bloody VAG has some kind of curse over me.

I NEED AN INFLUX OF CASH TO GET A Q2!!!!!!

Mate, don't let impending costs cloud your judgement....all cars as you know will need money and time spent on them if you want to keep them in top condition.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never driven an S3 (which makes me perfectly situated to comment on them on an internet forum) but they've dated incredibly badly, IMO.

If you're after a project car to make devistatingly quick, its a good way to go. If it were me, though, and I was after something VAG around a similar price, I'd be looking at Mk4 R32's, or early MK5 Golf GTi's.
Wont do another R32 after mine was stolen from the house, my mate has just had a terrible experience with Masked Robbers break his door down for his MK5 56reg GTI!!!! so VW is out the question for me

Mate, don't let impending costs cloud your judgement....all cars as you know will need money and time spent on them if you want to keep them in top condition.
I know mate, on paper it makes no sense at all really, just something about them....

BUT as I have just noticed Gus is going to have equal length downpipes for the GTA soon for sale I got second thoughts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
s3 is great on paper - dull but very quick in the flesh

mate had one for 6 months - prefered his old octavia vrs 2wd apparently

i didnt like how it shunted power front to back - you never get a feel for exactly what its doing - same as r32 i assume (never driven one)

i too have had a vw thing - golf g60 edtion one - again attracted all the scum for miles around

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Funny, before my first GTA I reached a point back in 2003 that I had enough of the crap Alfa service, having had quite a few Alfa's beforehand, I decided I would not buy another Alfa. So I tried a Merc C320i, Leon Cupra R, 3.0 Jag x-type, Audi A4 3.0 avant and Audi S3 - none of them really hit the spot, but I did really like the Jag because the interior was actually the nicest of the lot - the Cupra R was a great laugh to drive and had a good sized boot! - but the interior was terrible. The Audi's were just dull very much "less is more" but actually lots less.

Then I decided to check out a GTA Sportwagon - moment we looked at it (wife and I), and then drove it, we were both totally hooked. Had the exterior look, interior was just so nice (seats and the type of leather), and still the thing I love most about the GTA - the sound it makes. I hated Alfa for hooking me back in.

I actually think that today Audi and Merc have come a long way and both externally and internally are not as dull as they used to be where Alfa I think have lost the special edge that they used to have.

Six months ago we decided to get a people carrier thingy and decided upon the current Touran and went for a 170 DSG lots of options (including the park itself assist). The van is great at what it does, and does it very well, it even handles for it's size (based on the Golf) - the GTA is high maintenance but is so special I really love it, and I forgive it every time a new thing thing needs attention. We really don't need two cars and the GTA has done about 50 miles now in about 7 weeks - it's kept as a toy... I can't bring myself to sell it. However, the only car out there right now that I could replace the GTA with is an Audi RS4 Avant - but it would be at more than twice what the GTA is worth - but it ain't twice the car - and I'm not sure that its quite as good looking as a GTA.

The van has every toy on it I could need, but if it ever puts one foot wrong, the slighest of problems, I'll take it outside and burn it, and that's the thing it feels just like those Audi's I drove back in 2003, very good at what it does - well built, logical, some great technology - but they all lack something really special.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
rs4 avant would be my choice but twice the money ??? (are you talikng about the new shape) 30K +, the old shape are nice and seem to hold valu better than the new ones a i guess due to rarity, but the rs4 is something ill look at once ive saved up for bigger house etc, for the money a gta is very hard to replace. being used to bmw in the past, a e43 m3 is tempting for the money, and was what i was lookin at before i bought the gta on an impulse buy, cos if i didnt buy the gta and bought an m3 i dont think i would have bought a gta after and ive always wanted one so for me i will keep until i can afford a serious upgrade.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts