Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My GT feels a bit lairy recently. Steering feels really light and when I go for an overtake, hitting the white lines under power seems to really upset the car.
It never used to do this.
I've replaced all front wishbones and drop links, all 4 tyres are good and I've had a 4 wheel alignment which helped a lot but it's still not as planted as it used to be and really doesn't inspire confidence.

Any ideas on what could be an issue??? Just pointers on what to look at would be a great start.

I've had a quick glance and feel of the rear bushes which seem OK. But for when they wear out its hard to tell / see then I may well have missed it.

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Basics first: what tyres are they and what pressures?
What alignment settings were used (do you have an "after" printout)?

Any ABS/ASR warnings/issues?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have my alignment sheet to hand but I've compared it to someone else with a GT 3.2 and it's very similar. Rear toe was well out but had that reset.
Near side rear tyre was at 1.5mm, offside was at 3mm. New PS4 tyres fitted.

Tyres are Michelin PS2 on the front. PS4 just fitted to rear (unable to get PS2 anymore) pressures are I think 26psi but will recheck them.

Will look at track rod ends tomorrow afternoon when it's up on the ramp for a silencer to be fitted instead of the cats.

No ABS issues, no traction control issues (it's off most of the time, rather the Q2 sorted the traction out than the ECU cutting power to the wheels)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 225/40/18. What should they be set at???
I may be wrong with the pressure, just 26 seems to spring to mind when I had the rears fitted. The pressure chart didn't have my size alloy as a standard size wheel for Alfa at all.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot I took a photo of my tracking. Here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The blue should be green. Demon tweeks were running low on ink...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found a tyre pressure chart. 225/40/18 stated as 2.8 front 2.7 rear max load. That's near as damn it 40psi!!!!

Defoe need to put some pressure in all 4 tyres. Think I'll set them all to 38psi, I don't need max load. 36 35 was the low end for the pressures.
Hope that cures something other than tyre wear....

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If you really were only running 26PSI then that would explain a lot...!!!

Which begs the question: what pressures are you running on you Spider...?

Tyre pressures are on the last page of the handbook, so not hard to find.
You should find a sticker with them on the car too.

If you don't have a manual, download a PDF version from here.

Reactions: Aramis

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the very same issue after changing out all my wishbones. Asking the alignment centre to set the front to ZERO Toe solved my issues. David C has recommended this a few times in the past.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked pressures. There were at 39 front 37 rear

Spiders gone so that doesn't matter lol. But they will have been to what the chart said for 225/50/17. They were the standard size.

Checked track rod ends while had it on a ramp before, no play whatso ever.

Think I may go and get the tracking rechecked just to eliminate it. Before I start looking for anything else.

Also noticed the inner CV boot on offside drive shaft has split. Maybe a bit of play in the CV there. I have another drive shaft which I will get fitted when I have my Wizard manifolds fitted.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If you run with the car unloaded, try the unloaded pressures.
An empty car at full load pressures can be lacking in grip.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you run with the car unloaded, try the unloaded pressures.
An empty car at full load pressures can be lacking in grip.
It's not so much of a lack of grip, it's when I'm under power and pressing on it seems to pull, but not the same way each time. When it's bad (like it was on my way home an hour ago) it makes me swerve up the road left to right as I try to compensate / correct it.

Will give a lower pressure a go, it's free to try so why not.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Mine's doing a similar thing. Pulling all over the place on every slight camber.
Steering rack change hasn't fixed the problem. My wallet is still crying over that one.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Swap tyres front to rear and see if that sorts it.
Just done that. Wow. Can't believe how much of a difference it's made. Something so bloody simple too!!!
Anyone want to buy two Michelin PS2 with 7mm tread??? Haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts