Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before..

Anybody else have windscreen wipers on thier GT that crack the paint off the edge of thier bonnet...

I noticed that there was some touch up done when I bought the car which was no big deal..

But since I have used the wipers and seen that there has been a notch angle ground out of the wiper but still it is hitting the bonnet..WTF!!!

Is this something that all GT have..? Is it just the wiper aint on its spindle far enough?

Any thoughts? thanks..

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I removed the wiper arm and trim and carefully levered the linkage so that the whole assembly sits lower, there's now a decent gap between arm and bonnet.

It's the bonnet that's worn the groove, not the previous owner.

I touched up the arm and bonnet, but I still need to replace the arm as the groove plays on my mind, the touch-up I did on the bonnet didn't last long either. Another couple of things on my 'to do' list.

I think most RH drive GTs suffer this, although they may have cured it on the later Blackline/Cloverleaf models.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers fella.. Mine is a 57 blackline .. 3 and half years in...Maybe they didn't bother..

Its definately bin ground away in an attempt to fix the problem....You can tell it's not wear...

I love my GT but it seems a bit shoddy in a lot of ways....It's a good thing she's so good looking the biyatch..lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same problem as mine, the joint on the wiper motor is broken and the whole thing needs replacing.

The issue causes the arm to sit too high on the upward stroke which causes the arm to rub on the bonnet.

Managed to get mine done under warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same problem as mine, the joint on the wiper motor is broken and the whole thing needs replacing.
Had exactly the same problem with my car, wiper mechanism replaced under warranty - this is a known problem (read design fault), so get it fixed; I think AR should own up to this and replace them no matter what the age of the car.
Mine got so severe before I noticed it, that the bonnet had nearly cut through the wiper arm!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
My 2007 GT does the same. I have a nice notch worn in the drivers side wiper arm. And paint taken off the bonnet. It hasn't got any worse in the last 14K miles, so I'm just keeping an eye on it.

It's a design feature, deliberately put there on the request of BMW/Audi/Merc to make Alfa owners have a little something to complain about, thus making the German Marque owning experience seem better.....:thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts