Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys can you tell me if the door mounted window switch panel on my GT is the same as the 147 ? For some unknown reason my drivers side one has become incredibly sticky looks as if it's shedding its skin it's really bizarre I can't find a GT one but have seen one on eBay for a 147 it looks the same as mine and I know Alfa model parts fit various models . Anyone else had this issue ? Or can help with my question I would be very great-full.
Cheers guys Mark

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My 147 has half-moulted snake syndrome on interior door handles and switches, as well. Should you somehow find a good one, and should it fit, it will go the same way. Better to just repair what you have, I think. There are numerous threads, with Napisan (!) apparently being the most effective solvent for goo removal. What you do with them subsequently varies between leaving them as virgin plastic, or respraying them with Plasticote, or covering them in gold lamé or leather or vinyl wrap. Halfords even do an aerosol rubber coating.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I used nail varnish remover pads on my window switch yesterday. The rubber finish just dissolves away, and in my case (and thus everyone else's) I was left with something that looked identical to a new part including a nice matt finish. The only difference is you don't have a rubberised finish to the unit. I'm going to leave mine as it is because it looks as good as new, and using plastiote etc would involve having to take the switches out of the unit and potentially damage them.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
The 147 switch won't work on the GT, it doesn't have the facility to drop the windows when you open and close the doors and the canbus won't recognise it properly even after a proxy alignment.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I don't know about the GT but a 147 which is also canbus does NOT need a proxy alignment after a switch change. The GT might be different and need a proxy due to the way the windows drop when you open the doors but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
did mine recently, no proxy alignment required, just plug and play....do a soft re-set on the windows by holding all he way down for a count of 10 and then all the way up for a count of ten, also needed after any disconnect of the battery which i no advise when doing any electrical work on the GT, I didn't and blew a OS WCU when cleaning the NS WCU.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice guys thank you all for your Time looks like nail polish remover tomorrow thank god I have daughters ?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Definitely swapped the full drivers side door switch on my son's 3 door 147 and did not require proxy. I have a fully paid MES version so was prepared to do it but it wasn't required.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 147 switch won't work on the GT, it doesn't have the facility to drop the windows when you open and close the doors and the canbus won't recognise it properly even after a proxy alignment.
the GT door auto open/close window drop isn't handled by the window control module it's handled by the passenger compartment module and door lock sensors and will work even if the window switches don't, ( as long as there is a switch in position to complete the link from the lock to the control module, strangely - and that includes the 147 2 door version). Take out the door switch and neither the auto drop or the tailgate will work. I've often wondered why either of those need to go through a door window switch who's only effect on their function is to disable them when removed!

PS after trying Halfords rubber coating I wouldn't recommend it. It can be made to look ok but it's not very durable on things in constant use or contact with greasy fingers ( I'm not making any inference about the greasyness of fellow members fingers . .just my own )

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
the GT door auto open/close window drop isn't handled by the window control module it's handled by the passenger compartment module and door lock sensors and will work even if the window switches don't, ( as long as there is a switch in position to complete the link from the lock to the control module, strangely - and that includes the 147 2 door version). Take out the door switch and neither the auto drop or the tailgate will work. I've often wondered why either of those need to go through a door window switch who's only effect on their function is to disable them when removed!

PS after trying Halfords rubber coating I wouldn't recommend it. It can be made to look ok but it's not very durable on things in constant use or contact with greasy fingers ( I'm not making any inference about the greasyness of fellow members fingers . .just my own )
Strange that, as I fitted my 147 switch to a Gt to try and isolate a window fault and as soon as I did neither the windows or the auto drop function would work, yet with the (as it turned out) faulty Gt switch fitted the Auto drop function worked perfectly but the windows didn't.

Then after fitting a replacement Gt switch it all worked perfectly, but on that car (an 06 plate IIRC) it did need a proxy alignment to stop the odo flashing as Rockhopper said.

·
Registered
446 Posts
they're a law unto themselves aren't they. My GT has a 147 window switch in at present, the windows don't work, (they didn't with the GT switch either) but it did get the mirrors, tailgate, and Auto-drop working again. Possibly it depends on what is actually wrong in the switch or system to start with.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nail polish remover is the way to go guys , used it yesterday and it leaves the switches looking and feeling the nuts. Now have to figure out an excuse for me having nail pilish remover in my workshop. !!! Lol
Thanks everyone for the advice greatly received as always. Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts