Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 2007 GT LUSSO JTDM tonight with Alfa FSH and 36k on the clock.

What are the things I should be looking out for on this model? I've had plenty of Alfa's but never a GT.

Also, what does the LUSSO name include with regard to this model?

Thanks,

dc

·
Registered
30,085 Posts
Loads of GTs with dented sills from people putting jacks in the wrong place...

·
Registered
37,778 Posts
Due to the GT being mechanically similar to the 147 and 156, the things to look for are pretty much the same as those models.

·
Registered
30,085 Posts
Squeaky tailgates are a GT issue too, one official "fix" was to cut away most of the rubber that closes the gap at the top!
Later a proper fix was to bolt the panels together above the rear side windows.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had 3 156's (although never a diesel) so I should have a pretty good idea..

Any idea what the LUSSO includes on the GT?

DC

·
Registered
110 Posts
lusso was the best spec before the special editions came out (blackline, Q2, cloverleaf), so I think you get Bose, leather, parking sensors over the standard, not sure what else if anything.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The GT was a very nice example with a full service history and no apparent faults. However, I assume it is due for a cambelt change this year with 36k on the clock and it being nearly 5 years old. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The official belt change for a diesel is 72k miles or 5 Years - so yes it is due based on time.

Most forum users and indis will suggest that 60K miles and 4 years is a better limit - oh and remember to change the waterpump at each belt change as this seems to be a weak item.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've decided against the GT. Although it was a good price it is going to need a cambelt/water pump change along with a service which will jack the price up quite a bit..

I'm drawn to the Brera again and have looked at a couple of nice examples..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found when looking that the equivalent Brera is 2k more (at least) than the GT at the same age and mileage, as well as being smaller inside. looks I guess are up to you. I was more drawn to the Brera initially but the GT really grew on me, and I probably prefer it now (although both are jaw-dropping cars). A cambelt change and waterpump is about £500 so I'd be surprised if you found a Brera better value/ cheaper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
and cheaper to tax compared to the 2.4 JTDm. And an insurance group cheaper, despite near identical performance. And you can fit passengers in the back :p

From your original post, I would guess budget is 8-9k ish, I reckon you could find a nice 2007 blackline for that money with similar miles, or a cloverleaf / Q2 with higher miles (maybe 50k odd). They have a slight facelift and nicer (IMO) interior. If you saw one of them and then compared it to a non-facelift 2007 Brera with all the extra weight on it, i'd be surprised if you still thought the Brera was better. That was the decision I went with anyway when I was looking at some 58 plates 2 months ago. Brera smaller, more expensive, slower, more expensive to run = easy choice!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know, I change my mind from day to day...

When did the facelift appear and what did it change?

Also, does the 1.9 deisel really have the same performance as the diesel Brera? What about if both were remapped?

·
Registered
30,085 Posts
When did the facelift appear and what did it change?
If you mean the Brera, I think the biggest change was to the seats.
Different colour options.
And a lot of waffle about weight saving, which in reality wasn't much weight reduction at all.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Also, does the 1.9 deisel really have the same performance as the diesel Brera? What about if both were remapped?
Some of the 1.9 GTs are quoted at 170BHP (I think the Cloverleaf and Black line) though most will be 150BHP vs the 2.4 Brera at 200BHP or later ones at 210BHP.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts