Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took wife to local (and only!) Alfa garage in N.Ireland today and have got the official okay for either a Brera or Gt. We agreed on Black as I previously had a 147GTA and my OCD couldnt cope with the fading paint! As I have a limited budget a 2nd hand one is the only option. Dont mind what engine option as this will be used for special outings (Panda 100hp for daily use...both work in same place) about
5ooomiles per year.

Purchase will be in about 4-6 weeks so if you are thinking of selling soon pm me, but unsure of what...she loves styling of Brera, I think it is a little stout. Gt just feels as though it would be less of an effort to live with....any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ps Does the rear window not having a wiper cause problems?

G

·
0 Posts
they are both very nice looking but personally i would go for the GT.
thats what im getting next anyway :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a 3.2 Brera for just over 2 years & have now had my 06 GT (1.9jtd) for a month or two.
Both LOVELY cars.
I do prefer the look of the Brera, but beauty is in the eye etc etc.
It feels better put together, but as a result is heavier which makes it feel nice & planted (the 4wd helped as well), but it does blunt the performance & crucify the economy (22mpg or so). It was totally reliable, the only minor faults (the well-known drivers rocking chair syndrome, & an ocassionally erratic alarm) both fixed under warranty by the dealer. I had more positive comments about the look of it than any other car I've owned including several Porsches.
The down-sides were the mpg, the very little rear room (kids getting bigger day by day!).
I got the GT 2nd hand from our local dealer, as the lease I had on the Brera was coming close to the end.
It has far more room, I also like the dash/interior styling a lot & it does twice the mpg of the Brera. Mine is pretty highly specc'd up & I'm equally happy with it. Yes, the lack of rear wiper is a minor annoyance when reversing out of the driveway on frosty/wet days, but I wouldn't say its a deal-breaker.
If you only need 2 seats & you are under 6'2" tall the Brera is superb as long as the performance & mpg is OK for you.
If you sometimes need a 3rd or 4th seat, even for kids take the GT. The Brera rides better than the GT on rougher roads, but on M-ways & smooth surfaces I think the GT is fine. I find the front seats in the GT better, but I guess thats a personal fit thing.
Would I go back to a Brera? Probaly not, as I'll always need a 4 seater & if I could get away with a 2 seater I'd get a Spider!
Have fun choosing.
Matt.
Both great cars

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention have 2.2year old daughter who will be using the rear seat occasionally, so have to keep this in mind. Not concerned about performance as getting close to the big 4 0 and have had my fun with previous purchases inc Integrale Evo 1 and my 147 GTA.

·
Registered
694 Posts
OK,
1st thing is to see how easy it is to fit a kiddies seat into the back of a Brera, or ask here how Brera owners have got on with toddlers in the back of a Brera.
The Skyline roof will be a good thing to cut down on the claustrophobia in the back, but the low roofline & very limited access to the rear seats may end up being frustrating.
The GT has a bigger boot from pushchairs etc & easier access to the rear seats for kids & parents alike!
When I 1st got the Brera my daughter was about 6 or 7 years old & just fitted OK into the rear of the Brera, but she just keeps on bloomin growing & at 8 or 9 years old she didn't like the rear of the Brera at all, but she LOVES the GT!
I'd get to a dealers & see how easy it is to get your daughter in & out of the car seat in the rear of both cars.
Matt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rinsor - I got the GT Q2 Lusso in black (ex-demo from Mango's) after being in the same position as you.

The front end of the Brera is really stunning, but the back end reminds me of a Maestro. I'd rather get the 159 with the boot - the front end looks like the Brera, but the Brera was like seeing a gorgeous looking girl only to turn and see she's got an horrendously fat ****! imo!

FYI after a re-map at Alfatune I get 50mpg's out of her too :thumbs:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Brera and GT Magic Cars, i have GT so that i can take Kids around it is 100mm longer so at least you can use the back seats

1 - 9 of 9 Posts