Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering something this morning whilst steering my GT around a roundabout. Back when i switched from a 147 to the GT, i got the impression that the GT was less agile, less sharp into the corners so to speak. I always attributed this to the wheelbase being 5 cm longer (and the GT being a bit heavier, taking more grip etc.. to change direction, so feeling less nimble), but this morning the thought occured to me that there might also be a different in the steering rack ratios, with the GT set up more for relaxed touring, so having a "slower" rack.

So, does anyone know if there is any difference, and if so, if swapping a 147 rack into a GT will sharpen up the steering?

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
ePER shows the same part numbers for the 147 and GT racks, 71722484 and 60693866. The GTA and 3.2 racks are different, slightly quicker but also a larger turning circle. I believe lock to lock a standard rack is 2.2 turns but don't hold me to that. See the ePER links below for the parts / numbers:

147 - FIAT ePER

GT - FIAT ePER

(y)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ePER shows the same part numbers for the 147 and GT racks, 71722484 and 60693866. The GTA and 3.2 racks are different, slightly quicker but also a larger turning circle. I believe lock to lock a standard rack is 2.2 turns but don't hold me to that. See the ePER links below for the parts / numbers:

147 - FIAT ePER

GT - FIAT ePER

(y)
Thanks, makes sense i suppose, and im guessing GTA/V6 racks will be like hen's teeths, like anything GTA related, so upgrading wont be an easy job (and besides, having to deal with a larger turning radius doesnt sound awesome, the GT already isnt the most nimble and manouverable of cars in the car park)

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Thanks, makes sense i suppose, and im guessing GTA/V6 racks will be like hen's teeths, like anything GTA related, so upgrading wont be an easy job (and besides, having to deal with a larger turning radius doesnt sound awesome, the GT already isnt the most nimble and manouverable of cars in the car park)
You can still get the GTA racks but they're either used or refurbished and quite expensive, not sure new is still an option. I used to have a 147 Q2 Sport and the steering was ok, reasonably quick and direct but I've never driven a GT to compare it though :(. I'm in a loaner 156 JTD Wagon at the moment and finding the steering lock much more agreeable :D.

I suppose a conversion is doable but a lot of the parts are different, track rod ends are the same but the rack ends, boots and steering column knuckle are different I think. The GTA rack is quick at 1.7 turns from lock to lock but the rack is shorter, presumably to accommodate the 3.2. 3-point turns are always fun and lacking in dignity :D

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
The GTA and 3.2 racks are different, slightly quicker but also a larger turning circle.
I've always been a little sceptical about if the GTA rack is actually truly quicker or if its reduced turns lock-lock are just from a reduced lock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can still get the GTA racks but they're either used or refurbished and quite expensive, not sure new is still an option. I used to have a 147 Q2 Sport and the steering was ok, reasonably quick and direct but I've never driven a GT to compare it though :(. I'm in a loaner 156 JTD Wagon at the moment and finding the steering lock much more agreeable :D.

I suppose a conversion is doable but a lot of the parts are different, track rod ends are the same but the rack ends, boots and steering column knuckle are different I think. The GTA rack is quick at 1.7 turns from lock to lock but the rack is shorter, presumably to accommodate the 3.2. 3-point turns are always fun and lacking in dignity :D
I guess it is just the difference in wheelbase then, i thought so before, but this morning for some reason i thought the rack might be another factor. I wont bother with swapping over then though, if i ever feel like delving into the abyss that is removing the front subframe, itll be for the ARBs

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
There are quite a few companies who do what they term remanufactured racks. Generally it is for £200 or perhaps less. They can fully service individual units also if stocks have been exhausted.

I have found tyres can completely change how a car steers. There is a huge difference between sports or touring tyres and even very large difference between manufacturers in supposedly the same category. I found this out without even driving with spirit. That and the individual geometry settings make a larger difference than most realise.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
I have found tyres can completely change how a car steers. There is a huge difference between sports or touring tyres and even very large difference between manufacturers in supposedly the same category. I found this out without even driving with spirit. That and the individual geometry settings make a larger difference than most realise.
Absolutely
When I got my TT it had a mixture of Dunlop tyres.
Three were various flavours of Dunlop SportMaxx, but the left front was a Dunlop SP9000.
Under braking you could feel it diving to the left and left turns were better than right turns as the left front was soooo much squishier than the right front.

With a matched set of SportMaxx RT it was spot on.
It’s on SportMaxx RT2 now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A decent set of tyres might be interesting as well, ive got a set of four matching hankooks, two older, two newer, but same type. The only complaint i have is that they are a bit slippery when wet, on dry roads i generally dont hit the limit on them. Im toying with the idea of sharpening the GT a bit though, but i just cant figure out where to begin. Weight loss is an obvious start, but i dont want to go full racing buckets on it, considering it will still be a daily driver.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ventus prime 2 I would guess? Had those aswell, and the same experience. Strong carcas, ok grip in the dry, high tolerance for aquaplaning, but not the best grip in the wet.

Got a pair of hankook V12 evo2 to try out, and those do grip in the wet. Better in every way excluding tyre wear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts