Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
My wife recently purchased a 2005 Gt V6 and on the first drive back from the city to the country (on a fairly warm day 30 degrees) had a message displayed "Oil Fuel Maximum Temperature" . The message flashed up - she slowed down and it didn't come back. Does anyone know what this means? I've had a look through the manual/handbook and there is no reference to it. Temp gauge was arounfd 90 degrees and slightly above for most of the trip which i presume is ok as it was a hot day and i've read that the v6 runs a bit hot.
Is there a reason to be concerned about this message. Any help would be appreciated. regards, David.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quite possible that the waterpump is shot.

It doesn't get +30C very often here either, but at +25C my temp gauge is rock steady at 90 deg, never above. Higher than 90 is a sign of broken wp.

Can you hear a supercharger-ish whine when revving?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just realized my suggestion was from the drastic end of the spectrum, but I've never had more than 3 bars oil temp (~100C) even while enthusiastic driving on 20-25C days.

I take it you've done the basic checks, coolant level, etc?

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is a strange message for a petrol powered car. I would expect oil fuel temperature warning to refer to the fuel temperature. I know this is monitored in diesel engines (and I guess it is also monitored in fuel injected petrol engines) Because fuel density changes significantly with temperature it is necessary for the ECU to know the temperature so that it can adjust the amount of fuel appropriately.

If the temperature reading goes out of range, either because the fuel is actually too hot or because the sensor is giving a false reading then the ECU will resort to a default setting which may well trigger the limp home mode

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
The only time I had an oil temp warning was as the first sign (in retrospect) that my voltage/power supply was failing, and ultimately, my alternator/voltage regulator failed that same day, and I needed a new voltage regulator fitted.

As long as decent oil is in the car, and the oil cooler is not caked with bugs/grime, it would be extremely unlikely to cook your oil, even in the Australian heat. I've never had a 'real' oil issue despite many enthusiastic drives on hot days.

Have her drive around with the oil temp 'bar graph' on display, to keep an eye on things. 2-3 bars is normal, once warmed up, and I don't know anyone that's had theirs higher when things are working normally.

Also have her keep an eye out for any electrical gremlins that might suggest a failing alternator.

:)

NB: for 'climate relevant' advice, feel free to join us at ausalfa.com ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I should start by checking the oil cooler - where is that located exactly? And also setting the bar graph for display - I presume you can do that on the v6. i will take it out today and give it a decent run and let you know how i get on. Will keep close eye on temp level as well - broken water pump doesn't sound good. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
the oil cooler is located on the left hand side (OSF) behind the bumper. you can get to the oil bar graph by pressing the end of the wiper stalk once.

·
7,713 Posts
the oil cooler is located on the left hand side (OSF) behind the bumper.
"left" only when viewed from infront of the car. It's on the driver's side (Australia), and requires the front bumper to be removed for proper access. It'd be unlucky to have it all gunged up; maybe check the condition of the AC condenser 'radiator' through the bumper mesh and if that looks surprisingly clogged, probably worth removing the bumper to check the oil cooler.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Same setup on the GT. I'd imagine if the oil cooler is all mucked up the ps cooler would be too, so might be worthwile cleaning both if you have the bumper off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a look through bumper mesh on both sides and saw clean radiators - they don't look clogged at all. Main radiator looks ok as well.
I read the manual twice through and didn't see that you can access the oil bar graph by pressing wiper button - so well done. We can now monitor the oil temperature. Took it for a spin yesterday - oil bar graph was normal - on 100 ( 3rd bar) temp guage hovered between 90 and 100 - outside temperature was 25 degrees. I presume the thermostat is performing normally - interestingly it gets to 90 degress within about 1 km. My older gtv takes much longer than that. ( and stays between 70 - 80 degrees) GT seems to run just over 90 or on the mark of 90.
Big test - she wants to take it new years day about 250 kms south and temperature is going to be 36 degrees. Speed limit is 100 km per hour so she will be taking it easy - but still a risk.
Plan to do timing belt change soon - so probably change water pump at the same time. See if this makes a difference.
Any other thoughts? Is that thermostat function normal for V6 Gt?
cheers, David

·
7,713 Posts
90 degrees is spot-on normal. It should hardly fluctuate from that, even on a hot day. If it strays significantly then that could be a sign of a failing water pump, for sure. But when everything's healthy, expect the temp to be rock solid.

With the pump, ensure you go for the metal-impeller version, readily aviailable, as used in the 916 GTV V6; and not a factory GT/GTA plastic-impeller version. As these get old, they develop hairline cracks and can ultimately shear off the spindle, rendering them useless (and is the usual mechanism for them failing).

A lot of us buy parts from EB Spares, UK, cos it's a lot cheaper, and they offer good, reliable service.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
As Johnny Rash stated this is a very strange message "oil fuel" usually refers to diesel not engine lubricating oil. If you have just purchased it and from a dealer I would get the fault codes read and see what they say about the message. We love tinkering here but, if it is a dealer purchased car, I would avoid tinkering with this strange message and get the dealers view.
The probably won't know but that is where you should start. Even if it is a private sale I would ask the previous owner. there may be a history of this message that they can explain though, of course, they may not want to admit that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update on the overheating problem. After highway travel we have deducted that it heats up more at higher speed ie: Drive around 100 - 110 and it stays around 90 degrees. Speed up to 150 and the temperature climbs to around 100, back off and it returns to around 90 degrees. So we suspect a blocked radiator - it doesn't sound like the symptoms of a failing water pump. is that correct? Now my problem is i've shown the radiator to a radiator repair person and he says this type of radiator can't be pulled apart and unblocked and i will have to replace it. Reading the threads it seems like a fairly big job to get radiator out of GT - but it looks like i have no option. Do i have to purchase new radiator or can they be pulled apart - any views on this? Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To me those symptoms do sound like a water pump failing. My V6 Gt was fine driving at 60-65 mph dead on 90 degrees but the faster I went (on the motorway so sustained speed) the higher the temperature got. If I slowed down again to 60 ish the temp returned to normal.

The problem was the plastic impeller of the water pump had a crack in it (common problem) so while at slower speeds there was no problem but as the speed (and therefore water resistance) increased then the impeller started to slip on the spindle of the waterpump, water stops moving and engine over heats!

This was my experience anyway, hope it helps.

Tony

·
Registered
397 Posts
+1 on the WP problems. Sorry to be so negative.

Mine had exactly the same symptoms, going to 100+ at greater speeds, and returning to 90 when slowing down to 100 kph or so. I didn't have all parts necessary to change the WP straight away so it got to the point where I had to slow down to 70-80 kph and keep the AC off to get the temperature back down before I got it fixed. It took about 3 tanks of petrol to get from first noticed symptoms to that point. It might have been broken long before, but was winter then, so less likely to show up.

Are you sure you don't hear a whining supercharger-ish noise under acceleration? That would be the impeller slipping on the spindle. In my case the whine was very obvious once I knew what to listen for.:(

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Unlikely but very cheap if you can do it yourself - try a thermostat change as it may not be fully opening. What is happening when driving in stop / start town driving?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Car warms up very quickly ( 1-2 kms)and then stays on 90 degrees around town. I say it warms up quickly - i have a GTV that takes twice as long to warm up and then stays around 80 degrees (on road and around town) - only gets to 90 degrees if idling in city traffic on a hot day. I presume from reading responses that my thermostat is working ok as it takes car to 90 degrees - which is around the correct temp for V6 GT. If this isn't correct let me know as it would be easy to change thermostat. My problem is out on highway it gets hotter as speed increases. I am booked in for timing belt change and going to change water pump and see if it fixs problem - otherwise will need to look at radiator blockage i guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts