Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My friend has just bought a 2008 Astra VXR, looks lovely.
Anyway he is going on about how in a quarter mile my GT would be crushed- I said otherwise!!
His car is standard, mine has decat after manifolds and razzagon middle section.

Any thoughts on how a quarter mile drag between the two would go?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
although the V6 has a touch more HP the VXR has a bit more tourque and less weight.

i would expect it to be pretty close, I have driven both plenty of times, the handling of the astra isnt as nice and the tranny / diff is **** poor on astra, they just spin and tourque steer everywhere and inside wheel spins like a git where as the alfa is so much nicer handling if you have the Q2 on your side.

straight line given bit more tourque and less weight I think the astra would have it, but only just.

if however when the road gets twisty you have Q2, there would be no contest.

if you asked where I would rather be, Alfa all the way. the cheap silver and black dash in the VXR made to feel worse by lashings of shiney metal and cheap shiney bits and leather isnt nice, the visibilty is pretty poor esp out the back and i can never get comfortable in them. the only nice thing I can think is the seats are rather nice looking albeit a bit of a squeeze for a 6ft2 15 stone lad like me.

alfa has far better interior styling and quality, although I do like the exterior styling of both I can't choose between really, esp if VXR is in arden blue I like that colour.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
if on the otherhand you get a chance to have a play in an insignia VXR 2.8 V6 bi-turbo I whole heartedly recommend you jump in, press the VXR button and turn the traction control off. they are utter animals and sound spectacular.

the insignia vxr is the only newer car that I found that would ever tempt me away from the GTA I had. its the only thing I've seen that comes close to being just as mad as a stoned badger and fun to drive as GTA.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Don't know mate. Those VXR's are quick alright.

Even at low speeds the Corsa VXR is quick...

The stats are equal on the GT and VXR though, quarter mile 15.3 ish and 0-60, 6.3.

Take the rear seats out before you do it. ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know mate, have looked at the stats and they are bang on!!!
It would be so tight that it would come down to driving skills that would see someone take it.
Would love to actually make it happen though!

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
he will have to get his changes spot on. and if you catch him in the wrong gear he's done for.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Just be careful :lol:! them VXRs torque steer like crazy! I would say that would be a close match, he would have advantage off line specialiy if you dont have Q2.

Ive noticed when ive had the odd lil race off the lights on private roads of course :cheese: the Q2 on mine has made the car accelerate allot quiker of the line.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The Vauxhall VXR is brutally quick, a capable chassis and probably very easy to live with, but if it could have
even one tenth of the character and sense of occasion of the Alfa V6 which it doesn't, then it would be
a serious alternative (if you could stomach the vauhall badge), but as always Italian cars are not picked because
they are ther fastest cars on the road, they are picked for emotional reasons, the style, the engines which turn
engineering into an art form, no matter how fast the Vauxhall is it will never come close to an Alfa for carisma
and desirability, not for me anyway...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just park the Alfa romeo next to the Vauxhall and you will see which one is the clear winner..
I know which one i will be taking home no matter how much slower it may be, even Skoda are entering the
performance arena with the RS models, and even if they perform better and more efficently than the Italian
alternative i would still take the italian supermodel home everytime...
Power is very nice but power alone isn't enough.

Most of these high performance cars deliver their speed in a clinical way with no sense of fun/ entertainment
Alfa may not be the fastest car but it has glamour, an integrity and a magic that eludes the alternative brands like vauxhall etc
Although for me there is no alternative to an italian beauty...
The Alfa might not be an out and out stormer compared to the VXR's but it is far more appealling in all other areas, anyway the 3.2 V6 is no slouch, its fast enough for most especially wrapped in an Armani suit, unlike the poor Vauxhall in the shellsuit..
A vauxhall compared to an Alfa romeo...easy, i'd take the mad italian everytime...

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
I was very unimpressed when I looked at the stats of the new Skoda VRS, the advert makes it sound like a total animal.. But it's only got 180 brake, and it's only luke warm rather than hot if you ask me. Cheap though.

I do think the new Renault Clio cup however is a great car, and would be interested to see how that stacks up next to the GT 3.2 or the GTA's. (with Q2's of course)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts