Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm debating whether to keep my V6 GT or not.

My main frustrations are the knocking from the drivers side going over light bumps, when turning left its worse and makes the steering go light and the car feels horrendous. Both upper and lower wishbones, arb links and bushes are fine.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
My GTA has only covered 53000 and there is always something that needs sorting.
Does that help?? :biglaugh:

A gearbox overhaul with Q2, and more recently a ground up engine rebuild after a HG failure have cost me nearly £6000, and then there's all of the servicing and brake/suspension/electrical components that I've fitted over the last 8 years....they're worth it though, aren't they??

·
Registered
198 Posts
Keep it mate, you'll just regret it. I've had all the problems you describe (plus more!) and mine's only on 70k, but I wouldn't have any other car!

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I'm debating whether to keep my V6 GT or not. Yes keep it so worth the money when fixed.

When i bought it i loved it massively, but as its ticked over 125K there just always seems to be something that needs 'sorting'.

My main frustrations are the knocking from the drivers side going over light bumps, when turning left its worse and makes the steering go light and the car feels horrendous. Both upper and lower wishbones, arb links and bushes are fine. Must be suspension related. might be shock or top mounts.

Other than that the blowing exhaust,wizard time draining coolant, either rad or metal pipe under rad squeaky brakes, pads or seals creaking when pulling away/stopping, engine mounts leaky headlights, time for a reseal chipped paintwork remain niggling annoyances. Yeah chipped paintwork sucks

It just seems to want £1000 spending to get it properly 'sorted'. However the valuations are just horrific, i'd be lucky to get £1500- £2000 for mine I reckon but my patience on spending my weekends fixing/diagnosing is fading..

Someone make me feel better !
Worth it every day it drives well

·
Registered
376 Posts
it's a keeper, only 4244 where ever made!

The 2000 you'll make from selling is not gonna buy you happiness, not that lasts anyway

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would be slightly concerned about the 'draining coolant' issue though. This could be anything from a leaky jubilee clip to a failing waterpump or head problem!

blowing exhaust and brakes squeeking are easy cheap fixes.

Paintwork is entirely upto you, but hardly a reason to sell the car.

As for the steering, it sounds like some of the those arms have been badly installed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I'm debating whether to keep my V6 GT or not.

When i bought it i loved it massively, but as its ticked over 125K there just always seems to be something that needs 'sorting'.

My main frustrations are the knocking from the drivers side going over light bumps, when turning left its worse and makes the steering go light and the car feels horrendous. Both upper and lower wishbones, arb links and bushes are fine.

Other than that the blowing exhaust, draining coolant, squeaky brakes, creaking when pulling away/stopping, leaky headlights, chipped paintwork remain niggling annoyances.

It just seems to want £1000 spending to get it properly 'sorted'. However the valuations are just horrific, i'd be lucky to get £1500- £2000 for mine I reckon but my patience on spending my weekends fixing/diagnosing is fading..

Someone make me feel better !
I am not part of the GTA club, but my 1.6 147 requires much more than that spending on it, and I have only ticked over 35,000 miles in the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm selling my GT 3.2 soon as well, it is such a tough decision when selling these cars!!! Good luck with what you decide

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm selling my GT 3.2 soon as well, it is such a tough decision when selling these cars!!! Good luck with what you decide
No chance lol

Your car has been for sale then not for sale more times than I've been told 'not tonight love' by the wife :wink_org:

It will be second only to alfadoits by the time you eventually do sell it though, with all the work your doing to it...

·
Registered
600 Posts
haha that is very true, I wake up daily with a change of mind. My intention is to get photos done soon and get it online, that way there is no going back...well sort of

1 - 11 of 11 Posts