Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, first post! First Italian was a 4200GT, sold due to big bills and moving in a different direction, wanted an Italian again in the garage and ended up with a 1972 Spider Veloce which is a thing of beauty but... err, slow. Liking the whole Alfa thing, have bought it a 3.2 V6 GT for company!

Picked it up very cheaply, 85k miles, belts changed twice, seems a good history and an honest, if leggy car.

My intention is to run it as an almost-everyday motor as I have a the Spider for weekends. As a consequence I don't want to spend any money that I don't have to on it. I know that with a 916 and the 156 it's a necessity to have the Q2 diff, my question is do I absolutely need it on the GT? As in, 'it'll lunch the gearbox without it' kind of need it?

I know it'll resolve the handling but this is a £3k car and I don't want to spend money on it unless it's necessary, i.e. repairs and replacements. If I fall in love, I will get a lower mileage car or a pre-sorted one at a later date!

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The standard diff can go either when you are raggin' it or just pulling away from a junction with some steering lock. They take no prisoners..

C

·
0 Posts
3k for an 80k car is seriously cheap.

I think you've just answered your own question though. If you consider a q2 to be essential for the gtv / 156 etc then the same would apply to the gt. It has the same gear box attached to the same engine. The only difference aside from engine capacity is 2 of the 4 gears inside the diff are supposedly slightly stronger.

They still go bang though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3k for an 80k car is seriously cheap.

I think you've just answered your own question though. If you consider a q2 to be essential for the gtv / 156 etc then the same would apply to the gt. It has the same gear box attached to the same engine. The only difference aside from engine capacity is 2 of the 4 gears inside the diff are supposedly slightly stronger.

They still go bang though.
Thanks - I suppose the question was 'is the diff in the GT any stronger than the GTA and 156' so you've answered that one; yes, slightly!

It was seriously cheap and I couldn't leave it, wasn't even on my radar and wasn't looking for a another car. Seems mechanically sound, great history, just slightly tatty on the body. It's going to live in centreal London so I don't really care. The thing killing it was bad advertising on eBay classifieds and being in the middle of Scotland - flying up Tuesday to collect and bring home, going to be a looooong day back to SW London.

But quite looking forward to it, should be a fantastic car to cover distances in!

I wil be packing my RAC card though...

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Thanks - I suppose the question was 'is the diff in the GT any stronger than the GTA and 156' so you've answered that one; yes, slightly!
GT 3.2 has the same diff as 147 GTA and 156 GTA - they are supposedly hardened versions of the diffs found in the GTV 3.0 V6 and the 156 2.5 V6 and other V6 Alfas going back a few years.

I would say yes, it probably needs one, if you are to have any confidence in being able to put down a lot of power in anything other than a straight line without the diff letting go. But I've seen too many failures to think anything else, perhaps there are a lot out there happily going about without failing.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Choices I guess are to get the q2 done for however much they cost these days, £6-700? Dan will correct me! ...Or wait for it to go pop and add a few hundred quid (and the inconvenience of getting the car recovered when you hadn't planned it) on top of that to get the gearbox stripped...

C

·
0 Posts

It was seriously cheap and I couldn't leave it, wasn't even on my radar and wasn't looking for a another car. Seems mechanically sound, great history, just slightly tatty on the body. It's going to live in centreal London so I don't really care. The thing killing it was bad advertising on eBay classifieds and being in the middle of Scotland - flying up Tuesday to collect and bring home, going to be a looooong day back to SW London.

But quite looking forward to it, should be a fantastic car to cover distances in!

As Pud said, its the same as the GTA diff and therefore not really up to the job as the traction control puts even more stress on it -

The 147 GTA and GT 3.2 have a TC system that reduces power and brakes the spinning wheel where the 156 GTA just reduces power.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts

It will add value to the car when it comes time to sell it, or you could just drive it until it breaks and we will buy it from you

Q2’s fitted are currently £750 inc VAT and I can’t see it getting cheaper any time soon

The car does sound like very good value for money, you saved money buying it you may as well spend some of what you saved on it, good luck whatever you decide :thumbs:

Ned

·
Registered
98 Posts
How inherently week are the non-Q2 diffs then?

First I'd heard of this. Can't be bothered changing a diff aswell. lol. How much are gearboxes second hand should it pop one?

·
Registered
397 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
How inherently week are the non-Q2 diffs then?

First I'd heard of this. Can't be bothered changing a diff aswell. lol. How much are gearboxes second hand should it pop one?
The diff is fairly easy to change. You don't need to remove the gearbox to do it for a start. I know you can swap it without dropping the subframe too but if you're doing it for the 1st time I would recoomend that you do.

I'd say that you don't NEED to swap it for an LSD on the basis you don't boot it out of junctions with any degree of lock on or habitually give it stick in 1st gear. Its still not a guarantee it won't pop though.

It's catastrophic as often as it's not when the do fail.

Gear box replacement is, as far as Im concerned, an engine out job. You can drop just the box on its own but I've found it quicker and easier to drop the whole lot.

The gearboxes are hard to find as they are gta specific. So they're expensive. A 156 2.5 v6 box will fit the gt 3.2 and the gta's but it has a shorter final drive.

A 3.0 166 box has the same final drive (or thereabouts) but the diff housing is different. You'd need one off the gta box or a 156 box. Not really an issue but the housing forms one half of a casing that has been line bored. So it might leak.

C

·
0 Posts
Depends if you have a magic spanner to get on the starter motor bolt under the rear exhaust manifold.

C

·
0 Posts
I don't even have a pit. Just a drive with a cheap 3x3m gazebo if it's really peeing down.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Short answer- yes.

The GT like the 147 GTA (due to thier TC system) put even more strain on the diff than the 156 GTA or GTV and 166 3.2's.

Mine popped at 35k miles and 2.5 years old, shattering the gearbox casing and leaving me straded 100 miles from home, because I pulled out of a junction in the rain. The only alternative to a Q2 is to turn off the ASC every time you start the engine and drive like a granny in anything other than a straight line.

You got the car for a steal so spend a little on it now and live in peace.

Cheers,
Chris.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts