Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Has anyone modified their V6 3.2 litre to 3.8 litre and what was the HP gain from doing it? Cost wise, something you would do or...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If you are in South Africa, ask Oom Dawie de Villiers (his workshop is at Zwartkops) for information. He knows all there is to know about converting the Busso V6 to larger capacity.

It's a big, expensive job, obviously.

I have driven a few 3.7 and 3.8 litre conversions and I wasn't too wowed, though it obviously does have more power. It seemed to me that most of the gains were at the top end of the rpm range, though I suppose that could be down to tuning.

Also, as I suspect you may not know this, the 3.2 litre engine in the GT is exactly the same as the 3.2 in the 147 GTA.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are in South Africa, ask Oom Dawie de Villiers (his workshop is at Zwartkops) for information. He knows all there is to know about converting the Busso V6 to larger capacity.

It's a big, expensive job, obviously.

I have driven a few 3.7 and 3.8 litre conversions and I wasn't too wowed. It seemed to me that most of the gains were at the top end of the rpm range, though I suppose that could be down to tuning.
Cool thanks, I am up here in Namibia so getting someone to do it for me here is out of the question unless I drive down to Zwartkops, that's in the Cape, right?

Can you recommend someone who can fit a turbo for me down there at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi

Has anyone modified their V6 3.2 litre to 3.8 litre and what was the HP gain from doing it? Cost wise, something you would do or...
Autodelta have huge experience in modifying 3.2's to normally 3.7 litres , if you go on their website or give them a ring you'll get all the information ( 020 88383535 ) , best of luck !

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autodelta have huge experience in modifying 3.2's to normally 3.7 litres , if you go on their website or give them a ring you'll get all the information ( 020 88383535 ) , best of luck !
Yeah I was there yesterday, I can send my engine there for a rediculous amount of money and they send me back the 3.7....not really worth it for me since I am too far away.

So to gain some decent HP, rather go turbo, supercharge or send Busso to UK?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Sorry to have to say this, I don't mean to be insulting, but I really really pity that car.

From the way you talk, I'm terribly afraid that it's going to end up butchered. And then in a ditch, after the non-upgraded brakes and suspension couldn't save it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to have to say this, I don't mean to be insulting, but I really really pity that car.

From the way you talk, I'm terribly afraid that it's going to end up butchered. And then in a ditch, after the non-upgraded brakes and suspension couldn't save it.
I don't think the hp gains warrant brake upgrades/suspension upgrades, what do you suggest to add more hp?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I suggest you leave it alone.

Or if you are going to do it, do it properly and get it done by a real expert. This will cost you a lot of money. If you are not prepared to spend a lot of money, leave it alone.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you, the autodelta 3.7 is also supercharged to get those hp's, just tired of those goddamn gti's with their dsg brrrrrrbrrrrrrr brrrrrrr's pulling away from me. Damn u VW!

there must be something one can do that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and a left ball and with the xchange rate as it is, there is no way to even think about importing anything worthwhile...:(

·
Registered
376 Posts
just get a gti with their dsg brrrrrrbrrrrrrr brrrrrrr and put a chip in it

Reactions: El 4 Romeo

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I hear you, the autodelta 3.7 is also supercharged to get those hp's, just tired of those goddamn gti's with their dsg brrrrrrbrrrrrrr brrrrrrr's pulling away from me. Damn u VW!
There are cars that are faster than your car. This is normal. Unless you buy some mad Koenigsegg or something, that is always going to be the case.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't want a bloody Golf....everywhere u look you see a Golf gti and hear that rediculous DSG, like farts brrrrrbrrrrrr..brrrrrrrr and gone is he. I know there will always be a faster car than mine, but a Golf?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Some Golf's may be quicker but I've never found out because they've essentially become invisible to me on the road. Drive your Busso and smile knowing you're driving a work of art!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, a Golf.

It is more than a decade newer than the basic technology in your car. What do you expect?
That's what I want the guy in the fart-rocket to think when he looks at me and then I am gone...this should be possible, either turbo or supercharger or bring it up to 3.7.

I mean it's ludicrous, they flogging the dsg now like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Not all of them beat the Alfa though, I left many in the dust, would love to see one pull with me to 230 and get away from me, no way.

brrrrr-fft ffft, brrr fft ffft- GO TO HELL DSG!

I essentially want to build an unsuspecting GT with enough horses to outrun at least, at least a Golf, is that too much to ask? Without paying with my left nutsack, yes, it will be expensive, but what would be the most practical, cost effective upgrade to the GT to achieve this?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The current mk7 Golf GTI with DSG takes 6.5 seconds to get to 62mph (100kmph) and onto a top speed of 153mph
The Alfa GT 3.2 v6 which is 11 years older also takes 6.5 seconds to get to 62mph and onto a top speed of 151mph.

Alfa's are known to be very reserved on published performance figures and some independent tests have done a 0-60 run in a 147/156GTA at under 6.0 seconds. I don't know if this is the case for the GTI.

The GTI's should never be leaving you behind, you should be able to put up a very good fight, in the grand scheme of things there is nothing in it. learn to drive better would be my answer.

If you want to make a true GTI killer then from those specs all you should need is a Q2 or Quaif diff so that you can actually get the power down, A set of wizard decat manifolds, performance air filter and a good remap and you should be pushing 280bhp. 50 more than the GTI at the cost of less than £2k. As an added bonus the brakes and suspension should still be able to keep all that power in check.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The GTI's should never be leaving you behind, you should be able to put up a very good fight, in the grand scheme of things there is nothing in it. learn to drive better would be my answer.
He already proudly said that there's a hole in his exhaust, which would be sucking power.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, I can put up a fight but that's where it ends unfortunately with most fart-rockets. Thanks for the advice though, I got the K&N sport air-filter already, planning on fixing the back-box :), although I was advised to stay away from re-maps as they only cause problems....

·
Registered
913 Posts
You will not gain anything by adding a sports KN filter.

As others said - first thing to do is a conversion to CF2 (catless) exhaust manifolds. Then take care of your suspension (like Eibach ARBs, KW coilovers), brakes, and install a Quaife LSD (one of the best mod there is). Some people also change a throttle body for a bigger one (from Ferrari F360, or some other cars) and change the intake plenum for a carbon fibre one with bigger volume - like this one CFAB01 Alfa V6 plenum with ECU bracket - ACT Performance Products - your source for after market TVR upgrades, components and performance accessories.
You will have to make a remap after all that, but with a healthy engine you can probably get over 280hp. For a better induction sound you can also use a straight carbon or stainless steel induction pipe (Autodelta is selling carbon fibre one).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny story, I went to an "expert" here and he said "these cats have sensors and if we modify these or take them out or whatever the whole system will be confused and I will actually loose power, so there u go, I would love to have all those things done to the Alfa but there is nobody who can fit the mods in my area. :((

1 - 20 of 43 Posts