Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that there is a square cut out of the right hand side of the under engine guard of my GT. I have attached a photo. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Could be for the intercooler if it was a JTD. My 156 had on on the other side in the same place.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
What is it with these engine guards? Let me see, airodynamics? Keep out dirt? because everytime i need to lift the car up and get a couple of cable ties to fasten them again...can't i just remove them???

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The first time I took my Stilo to a FIAT stealership it came back with no engine guard, I called them and asked where it was and they said it was in the workshop, I could go back and have it refitted but they found the unneccesary so they didn't bother re-fitting them after services - and this was a main dealer! Even worse, Jason, Donalds Alfa knows them very well as they once employed him.....................

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
keeps the dirt out ! I would keep it even with tiewraps...

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
When something scrapes it's the under tray ... not the sump!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think we may be going slightly off track a bit guys. What I am trying to find out is why the square cut out has been put in the guard and I guess whether other GTs have the same cut out section in that position.
Even if no one is aware of the reason for the cut out, can some other GT owners let me know if they have a similar cut out on their vehicles.
I am wanting to establish if the cut out has always been there or whether it is something that has been done by the service department when the GT was last with them. I do not recall seeing the cut out when I inspected the vehicle upon purchase.
My GT is a 2.0L JTS.
Thanks.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
my 3.2L undertray is different. i have no hole like that.

:)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have no hole either, but judging by your shorts and location entry, its a lot hotter where you are than the UK. I would guess that its standard on Australian models fo cooling perhaps.

Can't see why you would want to remove the tray and mess up the airflow, any dealer that returned my car with bit missing would not getting my business again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the cut out might be for cooling purposes as well. Interested to hear from other GT owners particularly any in Australia to see if the cut out is present on their vehicles.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
The undertray on my 147 has no hole. This means that you have to remove the whole thing to change the oil. I ve noticed that the aluminium aftermarket version in has a hole in, so I assumed it was so you could change the oil without having to remove the whole undertray.

Undertray is for aerodynamics by the way, not protection, a bit of plastic isnt going to offer much protection!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2.0L JTS GT delivered new in Queensland in 2005 has the same hole. Air conditioning works hard here in summer, I suspect it just lets air circulate better around the condensor. Mine is very professional -not rough at all.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
147 2.0 TS UK spec. has the hole and a sensor clipped top left ( sorry for quality of photo, mobile phone, early morning etc ), guess sensor is for engine management or climate control. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts