Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on how to remove the carpeted panels on sides of the centre console on the GT?

Can't seem to work out how they come off, have given them a yank but don't want to force any harder in case they break.

Any ideas?

I'm trying to find the phone connector, to connect up my car kit.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
they are merely clipped into position.

nearer the front, there is the single plastic round clip that is visible. but under the gearstick area, they are hidden (moulded into the back of the panels). these are very firm, so you have to pull hard!

:)

S

·
0 Posts
they are merely clipped into position.

nearer the front, there is the single plastic round clip that is visible. but under the gearstick area, they are hidden (moulded into the back of the panels). these are very firm, so you have to pull hard!

I have a 147 but I agree 100%

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers all, gave it a hard yank and it came straight off. Managed to break one of the plastic clips off though..... grrr.....better get the Araldite out.....

Still can't find the phone connector though, any ideas? Can't seem to see it through the hole behind the head unit either..........

·
7,713 Posts
Still can't find the phone connector though, any ideas? Can't seem to see it through the hole behind the head unit either..........
are you looking for the unused white plug? i initially couldn't find it either; but it was there!

exactly what do you need it for? there are probably alternatives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are you looking for the unused white plug? i initially couldn't find it either; but it was there!

exactly what do you need it for? there are probably alternatives.

Want to use it to connect up a Nokia CK-7W car kit, which I've removed from another vehicle and hence don't have the correct muting adaptor. Plus don't want to have to start hacking into the wiring to get a switched live feed.

Currently trying to get the cup holder out to look behind there, can't seem to get that out either........

close to giving up...... :(

·
7,713 Posts
cup/cardholder is just clipped into position. if you extend both drawers, then grasp them firmly with both hands...firmly pull outwards. alternating left and right (pulling one side then the other) to rock it, can help. it will likely 'give' suddenly, so don't whack yourself in the face or get a shock. :D

if you want the kit to function with the ignition and stereo off, then you should connect the nokia powerwire to a 'constant' live feed. the kit will only draw very low current when operational, so it is usually fine to tap into the headunit's main powerwire (A7 in ISO plug). i expect it draws no current when unused.

if you want a 'switched' wire, then you can alternatively use the cigarette lighter powerwire. it is the 'middle' of the three wires (others are ground and backlighting).

the headunit has a 'mute' input wire if you require that. it is in the GREEN mini-ISO plug. there should be a schematic sticker stuck atop your factory headunit to help define which wire.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
CK-7W need both constant 12V and switched 12V for correct installation. It has constant 12V to continue in the call even if you park the car and switch the engine off to be able to finish your call. When you hang up, the unit switches off instantly. The switched 12V is there to turn it back on when you turn the ingition on.

2 other options:
1. You have an option to connect both wires to constant 12V, but in this case the unit will be always on and will not pair with your phone when you start the car automatically and you will have to do it always manually from your phone. And unpair when you leave the car as otherwise it will stay connected till you really leave about 30 m from the car. And it can drain your battery as well.
2. You can connect both wires to switched 12V. In this case the unit will work only when your ignition is on. This means hanging up the call when you turn the engine off. Other problem is that there is a power interruption between ignition on and turning the engine on. You can see it on your radio. If you leave more than 3-5 seconds between ignition on and engine on (engine check for example) the phone will pair automatically, but will loose connection during engine startup and most probably will need to be paired back again manually .

The best way is constant 12V from the radio and switched 12V from the radio or cigarette lighter.

·
7,713 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
On My 147 I hooked up the switched 12v to the HU's CD Changer
power feed so that you could use the handsfree without having
to turn on the ignition or acc.

i.e. it turned on/off with the stereo.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The phone connector has the switched feed in it, so there is no need for these heath robinson solutions to mis-wire the kit, just connect the +12v to the +12v in the phone connector, and IGN to IGN in the phone connector.. worked for me ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers for the advice all.

I'm going to have one last go at finding the phone connector over the weekend before I start hacking the car wiring.

Think Im going to have to take the heater control panel out to find it though. Have tried taking the ash tray out and there's another panel behind it stopping me get to the loom. Alfa certainly don;t belive on making things easy eh.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If it helps, I found mine right down by the heater vent on the drivers side... if you follow the ISO connectors back to the loom, then go down the loom slightly you should find the T junction where the phone connector joins the loom, just follow this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For reference for anyone else doing this; found my phone connector behind the heater control panel. It had been taped back on itself and secured to the loom, which is why it wasn't hanging down, and why I couldn't pull it up from behind the head unit.

Cheers for the various help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts