Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Someone on here has and provided photographs:)

The search facility is easy to use (honest).

I found this for you though;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Firstly I'd like to say that it should be against the law to put a tow hook on an alfa ;) ... but ... as you're looking for "detachable" then I would assume it's only for occasional use, therefore I would say look at the economics of it ... it cost a couple of hundred pounds to get one fittered, so if it's only for a couple of times a year to attach a trailer to take stuff to the local tip, then it would be more cost effective not to get it fitted and just hire a van for those times ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: GT + towbar?

Yes you can ! I had a detachable towbar fitted to my GT so that I can use a bike rack instead of carrying mountain bikes inside which when muddy is more of a crime in my book than fitting the towbar in the first place!

Had it professionally fitted but it took two attempts to get the electrics sort of right, but even now the rear parking sensors are not switched off when in use and the reverse light does not work on the bike rack ( it works fine on our other car). There is a small bumper cut underneath but its not visible and you do have to be carefull reversing of sloping driveways as the clearance is reduced even with the towbar tucked up tight to the bumper. Its not cheap though at £395 fitted but as I use mine on average twice a week well worth the investment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here's mine on the Eurotunnel. I took my mountain bike to the Alps.

Since then I've taken up to two bikes on rides all over the place. The bikes can get covered in mud and I'm not fretting over putting them in the boot:D

It's a GDW kit with detachable tow hook. The bike carrier is a Thule.

Altogether this is much quicker than putting on roof carriers. I do the whole operation in less than 10 minutes including securing bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Firstly I'd like to say that it should be against the law to put a tow hook on an alfa ;)
I have one on mine. It's detachable and very seldom used.

The great thing about it is that it's hidden by the diffuser (on a GTA). And the diffusers hard to reach mounting bolts (inside the bumper) have to be unscrewed in order to remove it and attach the hook. Is that italianess enough for a dispensation from the no-hook-laws? :p

DJ
--

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those things that rub up the paint work, block your already limited rear view, and stop you from getting into the boot without removing the entire set up. Not for a regular mountain biker like me. In winter especially, I like the quick quick setup times (no faffing around with straps and other fiddling things in the dark), the tilt function allowing ready access to all my biking gear in the boot.
Plus I didn't think there was a suitable anchor point along the top of the hatch. You are pulling back rubber seals to do that?
I'm too much of a perfectionist.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You're right. Thing is -who can I trust to install a detachable towbar that (a) won't cost the earth (b) won't be too visible / won't cause the rear bumper to look too bad and (c) won't cause havoc with the rear parking sensor? I do a lot of biking living a few k from Llandegla and the North Wales trails -I usually just take the missus' Aygo! (thats where I use the bell-bar fixing on the strap-on). If you have any recommendations - anywhere in the UK - for who you used for the towbar install i'd be grateful.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll get you a better photo of the car without the Thule on it....one with tow hook and one without.

As for fitters, well, I can't recommend the place in Basingstoke I went to. I had to finish off or fix parts of their installation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My detachable towbar is a BRINK and its a great bit of kit, very easy to attach and detach the swan neck ball. There is a small bumper cut underneath the bumper that cannot be seen once the towbar is fitted and I reckon you still wouldn't see it if the towbar structure was removed for any reason. With the swan neck removed its not that noticeable that a towbar is fitted, I use mine for attaching a Atera bike rack and regularly have 2 sometimes 3 mountain bikes on the back of the car.

The reversing sensors still work fine when you don't have the swan neck and bike rack on, but the ability to switch them off when you have the rack fitted would be a nice feature. I didn't think of it until after the fitting buts its on my list of things to do!

Mine was fitted by Mercia Towing in Hereford 01432 277333 they have a mobile fit service but your probably a little too far away for that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas - i'm getting the GDW towbar thru towequipe - the reverse sensors issue are a fact of life I had same issue on my previous car - but that was a passat estate! - and at least having the towbar as a detachable means its limited.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas - i'm getting the GDW towbar thru towequipe - the reverse sensors issue are a fact of life I had same issue on my previous car - but that was a passat estate! - and at least having the towbar as a detachable means its limited.
You won't regret it mate. I've been using mine a lot recently for MTB trips out to Wales. A mate saw the whole set up (thule tilting carrier & GDW detachable tow bar) and reckoned it is "the way forward". He has an SUV but wants to keep the interior free for carrying people and luggage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tanuki - i got the towbar delivered, i'd be really grateful if you could show some close-ups of your car with and without the towbar on, friend is a sparky and reckon between us we could do the job :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Jorgie, how did you get on with the fitting of the towbar?

I'm looking to get one (for mountain bike rack, and motorbike trailer), not sure if to pay for the fitting to be done or not?

·
Registered
149 Posts
No problems, very discrete. cost £150 for local guy to fit it, plus of course the towbar cost. pretty weighty but got the car re-mapped. if you use bikes a lot then i do recommend it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts