Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has been bugging me for ages, and it was the same on my 156 SportWagon....yes, front suspension noise.

I have had the car from 17k miles and its been fine up till this winter (33k miles)

Basically, when going over potholes or rough road surface at low speed, it get a hollow clunk followed by rattle rattle.

Now I have replace the both uppers and drop links and it still does it.

Also when I corner like left to right, i.e. transferring the weight of the car from side to side, I get a single 'CRACK' that comes from the passenger front of the suspension, sounds higher, rather than lower....and hence why I replaced the uppers.

Now, I only have roll bar bushes (EB Spares - any good) and the lower wishbones to suspect, although I did think that maybe the 'CRACK' is the engine mount maybe????

Any pointers???

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I get similar with the knock knock which like you I think or thought was the drop links. I have a set but have not got around to putting them on yet.
Whilst it has been cold I noticed the offside front creaks on speed humps of which I assumed were lower/upper wishbones?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the creaking is your whisbones probably the uppers. I would replace them both as they are about £25 each and can be done in under an hour each side. Just follow the guide on Alfa Workshops website.

Do both drop links also, but I don't think it's your issue. I will get the roll bar bushes from EB Spares as they are only £6 and let you know if that helps.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Thanks.
I will replace both upper and lower WB too just for good measure. I then have a reference of when and what has been done.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
Hi

It will more than likely be the anti roll bar bushes. Powerflexing is the best way forward. We have them on the shelf here. Give me a call or pop it in and I can diagnose it 100% for sure!

As for the cracking noise I would need to inspect further or maybe take it for a drive to be sure

Cheers

Loz

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yup, I'm getting the speed bump creek from the drivers side - assume one or both of wishbones will need doing. Thing that's puzzling me a little is getting a "rumble" from the drivers side front, like a slightly louder road noise. Wondering if it's bearing or some such, anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like a bearing,

Mine was more of a rumble/scrape, happened just after i got the main bearings replaced in the gear box nearly flapped i can tell you.

If you are doing the wishbones take the knuckes off and do both at the same time. Not an easy one to do its an all day job but you can take them out yourself

couple of pointers

I would advise you to disconnect the ABS sensor under the bonnet and pull it through and tape the cable to the to the knuckle for the duration rather than try to take it out, as the bolts just snap and they are a chew on to drill out. just take care when you knock the bearing out.

You will need to get the tapered hub removed from the race and pressed into the bearing by an engineering shop costs about a tenner each WARNING PUT THE FOUR BIG BOLTS IN AND BOLT THEM INTO THE KNUCKLE BEFORE YOU GET THE HUB PRESSED IN or it will cost you a new bearing.

Quinton Hazel do the bearing about £47.00 they also do a compete bearing and hubb but its not worth it for the £20.00 quid it will cost to get them pressed in.

Good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loz what's the price of those and are they split so you simply remove the brackets, cut the old ones off, then slip the new ones over?

Or do you have to remove the roll bar and slide them on,

Cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.

Had the roll bar replaced last week, what a difference. The hollow knocking has now gone.

The onle issue is that I have a rattle rattle after the offside suspension goes over a pot hole at low speed, it's driving me nuts, any ideas?

Both uppers and drop links have been replaced earlier this year.

S

·
0 Posts
Update.

Had the roll bar replaced last week, what a difference. The hollow knocking has now gone.

The onle issue is that I have a rattle rattle after the offside suspension goes over a pot hole at low speed, it's driving me nuts, any ideas?

Both uppers and drop links have been replaced earlier this year.
Possibly tie rod end (outer) will let you know as in garage as I type ....:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
We have a fix ! Trundly Rattle (as I called it) is gone ..... occasional clunk still evident coming off speed bumps but that can wait for another day ...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, Ill check it out, its deffo getting worse.

You fix one thing, and there is always another, sort it out Alfa!

I take it, it was your outer tie rod or track rod end as I know it?

S

·
0 Posts
Ok, Ill check it out, its deffo getting worse.

You fix one thing, and there is always another, sort it out Alfa!

I take it, it was your outer tie rod or track rod end as I know it?
Yes , outer track rod , it's a relatively simple op , is a DIY job but I opted to take it to a garage as tracking has to be checked after fitting anyway. Cost me £35 plus £13 for the part which I got on eBay.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I finally fixed this it was the drivers side drop link.

Manufactured by Birth and failed within a year. Also my upper wishbones (Birth) has started to squeeling again.

Lesson learned the hard way...only buy OEM spares and not cheap aftermarket ones.

Cheers Birth, you have ruined the past 18 months of Alfa enjoyment!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts