Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been planning this for a while but now i have a cheap runabout for work i can treat the GT as more of a special occasion car for the weekends.

Now, i'm well aware that its a good idea to leave the handbrake off, is it agreed that its best to disconnect the negative lead on the battery to stop it running down ? The car will still be used every weekend for a country road blast and for the odd Alfa show in summer months.

Any tips for keeping it in optimum condition will be gratefully appreciated

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Parked up for a week at a time?

Wouldn't worry about special prep for that to be honest... Maybe get an Optimate charger or similar for the inevitable time you forget to unhook the battery lead, but otherwise for a week at a time I'd just use it normally.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My V6 is a weekend and occasional weekday car that lives on the drive. It sometimes doesn't get used for a week or so but its not really an issue. In the winter when I do short journeys it occasionally needs a battery charge from a trickle charger. The only other issue is rust on the brake discs - can be a bit noisy for the first half mile.

S

·
0 Posts
I use mine Only on the weekends sometimes every 2 or every 3 weekends and its fine (as I have a work van) The drive is Level so I just leave it in 1st Gear and even after 3 weeks of no use its fired straight up.
I've never Disconnected my Battery since i've owned it.
On the odd occasion I will grab the Alloy wheel while its sat there and pull it just to make sure it rolls freely (hence being in left in gear it will still have 3 inch's of movement) as no one likes the massive jolt you get when the rain attacks your discs and you have to drive through the stickiness of a surface rusted disc.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My V6 is a weekend and occasional weekday car that lives on the drive. It sometimes doesn't get used for a week or so but its not really an issue. In the winter when I do short journeys it occasionally needs a battery charge from a trickle charger. The only other issue is rust on the brake discs - can be a bit noisy for the first half mile.
Cheers, i hope rust on brake discs can be kept to a minimum, as it will be kept garaged when not in use.

I think i may well appreciate it more now its only being used at weekends and special occasions, will also give me a chance to get it immaculate, doesn't stay clean for long enough when used every day !

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Parking up for a week isn't "storage"
If the battery runs down in a week you have a problem that you need to fix.
It should last much longer than that (ie several months).
Brake discs are cast Iron, so will rust, but will clean up after a couple of stops and will be better in a garage as long as you don't park them up wet.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, i understand how its not exactly viewed as long term storage, but on occasion it may go a couple of weeks without use and i'm keen to keep it from deteriorating

Any comments welcomed, thanks

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I still wouldn't be disconnecting the battery.
As you will have it in a garage, do you have mains electricity in there?
If you do, you can connect up a small trickle charger (ie Accumate) if you are concerned about the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts