Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
iv got a GT blackline 1.9d. it doesn't make noises when changing gears or anything like that, but just before the clutch hits the floor it goes really stiff for a split second then it's down all the way. Has anyone got any ideas what's up with it, it only started yesterday

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hi all
iv got a GT blackline 1.9d. it doesn't make noises when changing gears or anything like that, but just before the clutch hits the floor it goes really stiff for a split second then it's down all the way. Has anyone got any ideas what's up with it, it only started yesterday
How does it feel before it's stiff?

Mine was just like this and the slave cylinder was leaky, shortly thereafter the clutch failed! Release bearing gets stiff/worn, puts extra pressure on the slave, slave fails, then the clutch packs up...

Start putting some money to the side for a new clutch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does it feel before it's stiff?

Mine was just like this and the slave cylinder was leaky, shortly thereafter the clutch failed! Release bearing gets stiff/worn, puts extra pressure on the slave, slave fails, then the clutch packs up...

Start putting some money to the side for a new clutch!
I'll get on the phone tomorrow Iv not had the car long it's still under warranty and if that's a no go. Ill get reading up on the consumer rights act

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
solved

just thought id let you know I found out what was up with the clutch. I got told about a garage near mine that's hidden away down a back street, sells top end cars Ferraris, porches etc. I asked him to have a look, he drove it 20yards and said its the clutch casing. ( I got told he knows his stuff about cars)

Iv just heard back from the garage where I got the car from, they said that the casing is knackered and there putting a new clutch in it

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
What's a clutch casing, never heard such a term before ? I'm guessing it doesn't refer to the clutch bell housing since that would require a new gearbox to repair.

Garages will always try and change a complete clutch regardless of whether it's required or not simply because it's more cost effective as a job than doing something simpler that would also solve the problem.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
sounds exactly the same as the issue I had, inconsistent pedal feel and typically goes stiff. Followed the guide for putting oil down the clutch fork shaft, relaced the bearing or seal for the clutch fork on top of the gear box and generously greased the end of the slave where it meets the clutch arm. Sorted in an hour. But if you are getting a free clutch done its a result, but it may well feel better for coming apart and releaseing some crud rarther than the new clutch itself.

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts