Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for info about fitting snow chains to fit my '55 GT jtd with the optional 18" multispoke wheels (and the little brakes!) and have come to the conclusion that it's just not going to happen.
The SnowSocks (or any variant) don't appear to be approved by the French for use in the Alps so that rules them out and I'm loath to buy a set of the Spike Spider type chains at £250+ aswell as taking up heaps of boot space (which will be limited) and adding 2000+ miles to the existing Pzeros. The most cost effective option therefore is to buy another set of wheels secondhand with tyres already fitted...

Does anyone know if I can fit standard 156/147 15" steel wheels with 185/65 tyres AND fit snow chains whilst still maintaining enough clearance past the upper suspension arms??
If so, then are they all the same spec with the same offset etc?
I appreaciate there will be a difference in the speedo reading but it will under-read rather than over....

Any experience gained and shared will be much appreciated :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
bit late now fella all the snow has gone :lol:

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I think the subtle clue is "for use in the Alps":rolleyes:

I'm not sure about 15" wheels -they may fit as the GT is based on the 147 - if not there are plenty of tatty 16" alloy wheels about off 156/147......

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah but the problem is that even the tyres on the 16" and 15" alloys are too wide as standard. Steels it has to be!

Is there a difference between the bolts used for the alloys and steels? I know that there has been with every other car I've changed wheels on but as 'most' alfas come with alloys anyway it seems a little silly to have different bolts for the few cars with steel wheels...... (i'm guessing anything Fiat would have the same bolts size for steels?)

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
15" steel rims will be fine, as would 15" alloys.

You can use the alloy bolts on steel rims, but you shouldn't use steel rim bolts on alloy rims.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
In France the Michelin Easy Grip's ( as used by Nev) are approved. From recent experience I can say they work really well.:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,191 Posts
Have been using standard size chains on my 185/65R15 winter tyres without issues for years - first on the 156, using the same set (new tyres :)) on the GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts