Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my 159ti was written off due to a female in a little volks up hitting rear passenger door, I have just picked up an okish GT as I may be getting company car possibly, issue I seek advice on is this- after buying car the housing for rear spring gave way at 70mph on motorway, spring went through rear drivers tyre causing instant blow out, (thanks God no cars in lanes to either side as I try to gain control swerving back n forth through all lanes) garage replaced sock free of charge, garage said spring was ok and wouldn't replace, I paid for that as I thought it made sense, also paid for otheeside as it looked just as corroded and I couldn't risk it happening on other side,so new shocks n springs on rear all round,

Problem is now when taking left bends at speed, i.e mainly slip roads, don't notice it at lower speeds, the car gives a skuttle like side to side movement, feels very dodgy, could this be poor fitting of parts above? Or not assembling other parts correctly that were removed to allow shocks to be fitted? One other thing, the back end now seems to sit way higher than front, sorry for long winded post, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The rear ride height is not really a surprise. The dampers/struts were rationalised by many companies offering aftermarket units and fitting one of these often produces incorrect ride height. Possibly the best place to get rear dampers for the GT is Alfa Workshop. It may be best to contact Jamie first to ensure of the correct parts though. I believe the GT has similar rear suspension turrets to the 156 SW which is why they are different from 156 saloons and 147s.

Scuttle shake... I think this is often a symptom of worn front dampers. They are particularly wear prone whereas the rears corrode the spring platforms. Thankfully fronts are cheaper than the rear. My budget choice with lowering springs is Koni Str.T but I believe TRW have dampers up to the job. Psircos, I previous member (now using a different identity after the website re-vamp) used these in this 156 Veloce. I think TRW may also produce suitable rear dampers for the GT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply fruity,. It just seems odd that this skuttle like sensation only appeared after getting rear shocks down which leads me to believe it must be something wrong on the back, also the skuttle feeling defo feels like it's coming from the rear of car, never felt anything like this in a car, your ride explanation seems plausible, very annoying since they were OEM parts, is there any fix for this, it makes car look very odd, on the damping side it actually feel fine, not too soft or hard etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try giving your rear wheels a wobble and check around the arms to see if anything is loose after fitting the new shocks. I had a similar feeling, although at all speeds, when my alignment bolt was loose. Also keep an eye for movement in the rear arm bushes.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I wonder if it needs a 4 wheel alignment. If the rears are misaligned weird, evil things happen. My 147 wasn't far out but could still feel like something was worn, unpredictable and jiggly as weight transferred from one back wheel to the other, changing the rear-wheel input to the steering. I expected worn control arm bushes, but alignment totally fixed it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
All good replies which I won't contradict. Anyway, I didn't really pick up on that it seems to come from the rear. That is strange. If the garage created an issue, it is their responsibility to investigate and possibly rectify. As a consumer, you would have to give them a chance to inspect and rectify.

I don't see why it should be arms unless they needed to use overly brutal methods to remove the rear struts from the lateral arms. If so, the bushes may be damaged (excess heat used). It may have been unavoidable or perhaps due to a lack of experience or finesse on the mechanic's part but it may have simply been seized incredibly badly.

I think that is the most likely thing. Strut top mountings would simply knock. Our cars use 3.15mm of rear toe-in (a lot) to reduce understeer and add a little lift-off oversteer. The rear tyres are forever fighting each other and this manifests as a bit of high speed instability over bumps.

It also has a tendency to wear the tyres progressively more towards the outer shoulders. That is another reason for alway fitting new tyres to rear then swapping to front once fronts are worn out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good replies which I won't contradict. Anyway, I didn't really pick up on that it seems to come from the rear. That is strange. If the garage created an issue, it is their responsibility to investigate and possibly rectify. As a consumer, you would have to give them a chance to inspect and rectify.

I don't see why it should be arms unless they needed to use overly brutal methods to remove the rear struts from the lateral arms. If so, the bushes may be damaged (excess heat used). It may have been unavoidable or perhaps due to a lack of experience or finesse on the mechanic's part but it may have simply been seized incredibly badly.

I think that is the most likely thing. Strut top mountings would simply knock. Our cars use 3.15mm of rear toe-in (a lot) to reduce understeer and add a little lift-off oversteer. The rear tyres are forever fighting each other and this manifests as a bit of high speed instability over bumps.

It also has a tendency to wear the tyres progressively more towards the outer shoulders. That is another reason for alway fitting new tyres to rear then swapping to front once fronts are worn out.
He did say fruity that they were a nightmare to come a
Without breaking, it's going back in tom, will gives you update, in meantime power steering fluid was dumped lost power steering, hoping it's just burst pipe and not the pump, don't see how pump failing would dump all the fluid in one go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update guys, a rear arm bush is gubbed which is causing movement and the skuttle sensation, the other issue regarding power steering, a hose has busrt, and guy is struggling to get one from any where but alfa at a weeks lead time at least, still to enquire, over 300 quid for the part, can't believe some of these parts are hard to get aftermarket, nightmare! A boy in trade says he thinks he has one that fits but he needs to check!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts