Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that some kind soul has damaged my xenon headlight, which I noticed on Friday morning. The inside of the headlight was fillled with condensation - not just a little but a lot of water droplets. It looks like someone reversed into the bumper (very slight scratch) but touched the headlight unit too. There is a tiny hairline crack at the base of the headlight.

Anyway, dealer wanted £800 for a new unit. Local garage suggested taking out the fog light bulb, which is the easiest to access on a GT (just twist off the back cover) and turn on main beams and take a hair dryer to it. I stuffed a couple of silica gel moisture absorbing sachets that you find in electronics packaging into the hole where the foglight bulb goes too.

Lo and behold, after about half an hour I managed to get rid of all the water and the silica absorbed it all. To seal the hairline crack, I simply drew a line of superglue over it. It is entirely invisible because luckily the crack is on the bottom edge and concealed by the bumper. £800 saved except for a little time and effort.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I discovered that some kind soul has damaged my xenon headlight, which I noticed on Friday morning. The inside of the headlight was fillled with condensation - not just a little but a lot of water droplets. It looks like someone reversed into the bumper (very slight scratch) but touched the headlight unit too. There is a tiny hairline crack at the base of the headlight.

Anyway, dealer wanted £800 for a new unit. Local garage suggested taking out the fog light bulb, which is the easiest to access on a GT (just twist off the back cover) and turn on main beams and take a hair dryer to it. I stuffed a couple of silica gel moisture absorbing sachets that you find in electronics packaging into the hole where the foglight bulb goes too.

Lo and behold, after about half an hour I managed to get rid of all the water and the silica absorbed it all. To seal the hairline crack, I simply drew a line of superglue over it. It is entirely invisible because luckily the crack is on the bottom edge and concealed by the bumper. £800 saved except for a little time and effort.
The xenons are horribly expensive. You are lucky you could seal the crack :thumbs:
I have a small sachet of silica gel stuck on double side tape on the back cover of each headlight :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The xenons are horribly expensive. You are lucky you could seal the crack :thumbs:
I have a small sachet of silica gel stuck on double side tape on the back cover of each headlight :)
147's are notorious for headlight leaks. Run a bead of silicone sealant around the join of the lens to body. Then dip your finger in water and run it over the silicone to smooth it into place. Should solve it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have a similar issue. Plus my dipped beam has gone. Dealer initially quoted for a replacement unit at £1000+, then got reasonable and suggested only bulb needed replacement. I'd done my reading on here and had seen the threads on hairdryers and silica gel pads. So though I'd let dealer get and replace bulb and I'd just dry unit out.

Dealer quoted just under £250 to replace. Apparently one hour labour required. To drop bumper etc. Now I've read about many a mangled hand on this thread replacing bulbs on GT's. But isn't that what the pro's get paid for? Not to go the long way round?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Have a similar issue. Plus my dipped beam has gone. Dealer initially quoted for a replacement unit at £1000+, then got reasonable and suggested only bulb needed replacement. I'd done my reading on here and had seen the threads on hairdryers and silica gel pads. So though I'd let dealer get and replace bulb and I'd just dry unit out.

Dealer quoted just under £250 to replace. Apparently one hour labour required. To drop bumper etc. Now I've read about many a mangled hand on this thread replacing bulbs on GT's. But isn't that what the pro's get paid for? Not to go the long way round?
£250 [:-o] to replace a £45 lamp! Was he wearing a mask and riding a horse shouting "Stand and Deliver!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
GT headlight condensation problem

Im having the same problem in both headlights on my GT. Think the cover seals may be the problem.

For a quick fix im thinking about using the sachet's of silica gel. Im thinking about removing the back covers and sticking the sachets to the inside face as above. I have a couple of questions though:

1. Will these be a fit and forget solution? or will I need to replace the sachets every so often?

2. Is there any risk of the sachets getting too warm / melting within the headlight case?

Also, I have been advised drilling a hole in the headlight for the condensation to escape will do the trick, is this good advise?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Im having the same problem in both headlights on my GT. Think the cover seals may be the problem.

For a quick fix im thinking about using the sachet's of silica gel. Im thinking about removing the back covers and sticking the sachets to the inside face as above. I have a couple of questions though:

1. Will these be a fit and forget solution? or will I need to replace the sachets every so often?

2. Is there any risk of the sachets getting too warm / melting within the headlight case?

Also, I have been advised drilling a hole in the headlight for the condensation to escape will do the trick, is this good advise?

Cheers
The solution I found worked best on my GT was to coat the seals of the cover with silicon grease and refit (also have a small sachet of silica in each one and have had no problems RE getting too hot, I just check them every few months to see if they need replacing). Hope this helps, matey:thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that, thats great. I didnt want a fire risk on my hands!! haha.

Do you have the xenon headlights? only asking because I do and not tried yet but reckon it'll be a bit tricky removing the covers. Thats why I was kinda hoping it was a fit and forget job and not have to keep checking on them.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Thanks for that, thats great. I didnt want a fire risk on my hands!! haha.

Do you have the xenon headlights? only asking because I do and not tried yet but reckon it'll be a bit tricky removing the covers. Thats why I was kinda hoping it was a fit and forget job and not have to keep checking on them.
Mine are the 'normal' ones:) I reckon the silica doesnt really do that much (mine are always dry but check them as its quite easy with the standard lamps) if you can get a good seal between the cover and the unit and make sure the inside of the unit is as dry as possible before you grease it:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts