Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Last week I fell for a 2005 GT JTD with 30000km on the clock. Loving the looks and the drive in the short distance I've covered so far, but I have noticed a few problems over the past couple of days:

1) Occasionally the "Water in diesel filter" warning is shown during the self-tests when starting. Haven't seen it while running. Do I need to drain the filter or is the sensor just being a little enthusiastic?

2) Also during self-tests, the oil level is shown as MAX. Previously I thought this was normal but on reading the manual it seems to indicate overfill. Took a quick look at the dipstick this morning and it's certainly at MAX but doesn't seem dramatically over. Do I have to worry and if so what's the easiest way to suck out the excess?

3) Rear 1/3 seat was folded down and won't lock back up despite vigorous encouragement. What's going on there?

For info the previous owner did a service about 6 months ago at 22000km and the car's still under guarantee. I'd like to fix the niggles above myself if poss or, failing that, see what the garage can do under guarantee.

Any advice much appreciated, TIA

- Cloudmonkey

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Hi all,

2) Also during self-tests, the oil level is shown as MAX. Previously I thought this was normal but on reading the manual it seems to indicate overfill. Took a quick look at the dipstick this morning and it's certainly at MAX but doesn't seem dramatically over. Do I have to worry and if so what's the easiest way to suck out the excess?

I did exactly the same, saw the max level showing on start up thought nothing of it until I read the manual. Best drain some off, apparantly it can do serious damage if overfilled, just remember always go by the dipstick . I took mine back to the non alfa garage, & they drained some off under warranty,as they supplied the car serviced, I then had the sensor checked at the Alfa dealership

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO :)

Can't help with your queries, but try posting them in the GT lounge as there should be someone there who can knows the answers :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hi all,

Last week I fell for a 2005 GT JTD with 30000km on the clock. Loving the looks and the drive in the short distance I've covered so far, but I have noticed a few problems over the past couple of days:

1) Occasionally the "Water in diesel filter" warning is shown during the self-tests when starting. Haven't seen it while running. Do I need to drain the filter or is the sensor just being a little enthusiastic?
I have had that once or twice not long after filling up, it happened whilst driving along and I put it down to dodgy fuel, if yours comes up all the time I would change the filter, I think its the one you can see at the back of the engine bay (don't quote me on that :lol: ) so could be easy to replace and not expensive?

Mines has been like that from day one, personally I'd say it was fine. 44k miles on mine and it gets a regular thrashing I've had no trouble, so long as its not over max should be OK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If this warning remains, contact your dealer.

Don't worry about this. My GT JTD has done 90.000 km and has always indicated "MAX. oil level" on startup. All the others I drove did exactly the same.

3) Rear 1/3 seat was folded down and won't lock back up despite vigorous encouragement. What's going on there?
This is a well-known GT issue. No doubt some other forum members have experienced it and know how to fix it.

Eric

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
As said by others above, the 'Max Oil' level has been showing on my GT since the day I got it and the actual oil level is fine :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated by an alfa newbie!

I'll get all that checked out next week at the garage. I'll ask them to take a look at the Xenon adjustment too (I keep getting flashed by oncoming drivers as they swerve off the road, covering their eyes ;-), though apparently that may not be covered under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts