Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the switches to GT seat heaters supposed to illuminate when activated? Mine do not (though the heaters work just fine). If so can the bulb be replaced or would it mean a whole new switch?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I've never had cause to remove mine so I can't comment on possible bulb replacement, but yes they should illuminate.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The seat symbol should glow very dimly (hard to see in daylight) a red/pink colour, also when turned on you should see a yellow light in the pips.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Are the switches to GT seat heaters supposed to illuminate when activated? Mine do not (though the heaters work just fine). If so can the bulb be replaced or would it mean a whole new switch?
Whole new switch is £40, I'm sure you could solder a new one in from Maplins.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confirmation everyone. I'm torn between my OCD for everything to work exactly as it should and just being grateful the seats heat up! Think I'll wait for the warmer weather to fiddle with it!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
On my old GT the symbol lit up but could never feel any heat from the seat!!

Must have thick skin or something...... (New Mazda seats are toasty though.........)

·
Registered
59 Posts
On my old GT the symbol lit up but could never feel any heat from the seat!!

Must have thick skin or something...... (New Mazda seats are toasty though.........)
The LED's in the switch are separate from the circuit that powers the heated seat. One LED is always lit, the other comes on when you press the switch in.
The reason the seats stop working is because a) the switch can't handle power and burns out or b) The soldering on the switch is abysmal and breaks free.

The seats take about 5 Amps and on my switch the plastic connector had darkened around the pin that powers the heating elements, but the problem was a loose connection from the heated seat pin to the little circuit board. Due to the extra heat I guess this is the most likely pin to come loose.
Re-soldering the pins would sort it out.

I know this because I was checking my heated seats last week, and the solder joints on all of the pins where perfect examples of what a bad solder joint would look like. I expect most of these switches that have failed could be repaired fairly easily, rather than dumping £30-40 on a new one.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I know this because I was checking my heated seats last week, and the solder joints on all of the pins where perfect examples of what a bad solder joint would look like. I expect most of these switches that have failed could be repaired fairly easily, rather than dumping £30-40 on a new one.
Would you believe mine has packed up today (was OK yesterday), to much rain to investigate thoroughly, had to pop out with Mme. Pub and she said her seat wasn't warming either. Both switches are illuminated and also the yellow LEDs glow on both when pushed.

I quickly pulled F45 which put out all lights on the switches. Worst case I suppose the heating elements in both seats have gone, could the switches also be at fault?

Can't say the last time the passenger seat was tried.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
59 Posts
My seats were the same, with the lights illuminating but the heat not coming on.
If you've got the switch out and you have a multimeter you can check if there's a bad connection. Looking at the underside of the switch with the connector at the bottom the pin furthest to the right provides power to the heating elements, with the switch on you should see a connection between that and the pin furthest to the left (though I might be mistaken about that one)

You could also check the wiring under the seat, there is a heating element in the back of the seat in series with the one in the bottom, if the connector to the rear element has come lose it'll break the circuit and neither will heat. There's a bunch of wires that split a few ways, one goes into the seat, one heads to the switch and the other goes to a connector for the other element, that's what you'd want to check.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yeah, I had a little look at the weekend. I'm getting 12v to earth on the 2 red wires (pins 1 and 2) and nothing on the other 2 when the switch isn't pressed.

With the switch pressed I'm getting around 5v and 12v on pins 3 and 4 respectively. Pin 4 is the one that looks like it gets a bit hot as there's some discolouration around it.

So, looks like all the wiring up to the switches and the switches themselves are ok. I can see the heating pads are separate with their own wiring from the ePer diagram. Interesting that if the backrest packs up both with fail, I'll leave for now and maybe get the seats out when the weather improves and I have more time.

I'd imagine replacing the heating pads will be tricky and time consuming.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I had a little look at the weekend. I'm getting 12v to earth on the 2 red wires (pins 1 and 2) and nothing on the other 2 when the switch isn't pressed.
Pub
Pub, how do you get the switch out? Do you need to just take that plastic bit that it sits in out first?

You are right, reckon replacing the pads would be a major hassle!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Pub, how do you get the switch out? Do you need to just take that plastic bit that it sits in out first?

You are right, reckon replacing the pads would be a major hassle!
If you've got small hands, raise the seat as high as it will go and it's possible to push the switches out from underneath, failing that a thin, flat bladed screwdriver will prise the switch out.

Yes, the surround is all part of the switch, it's that outer gap where the screwdriver needs to go.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you've got small hands, raise the seat as high as it will go and it's possible to push the switches out from underneath, failing that a thin, flat bladed screwdriver will prise the switch out.

Yes, the surround is all part of the switch, it's that outer gap where the screwdriver needs to go.

Good luck

Pub
Cheers Pub, I'm hoping to check it over the next few days. Will let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'd imagine replacing the heating pads will be tricky and time consuming.
I recently swapped my heated Alfatex interior to heated red leather, but as nobody on here wanted the old interior I stripped it for parts, chassis, switches, plastic trim and seat back tilting cables. What I never kept was the seat heating pads, as these were glued to the cushion foam and would not of come off without a big mess.
I think that if my heated pads failed I would leave them alone. Also the seat back folding mechanism, if a cable were to snap I would take the seat to a local trimmer, as this would be a step too far for me to do.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Cheers Pub, I'm hoping to check it over the next few days. Will let you know how I get on!
Excellent! I'll be interested to see what you're getting on pins 3 and 4 voltage wise, as unless there's an earth under the seats somewhere I can see how they get their power.

I would've expected 12v across those 2 pins but I ain't getting that.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I put the seat all the way down and you are right I have smallish hands and can get in there pretty easy. However, try as I might, I can't get the swithch to budge and lessons learned from the past tell me that just that much bit more force will result in spilt milk! Both my seat heaters work so I'm of the thought maybe to leave well enough alone. I'd love for the illumination to work because the usual passenger in the car tends not to know if it's off or forgets :biglaugh: Also if it's there and was meant to work the OCD in me wants it to!!

Is there some sort of 'clip' that I have to push in to release them? Seems there might be from what I could feel but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Answered my own question. There are two push clips either side of the switch. Was able to get my fingers on both and press/push. Come out easily after that. Didn't have time to do the actual work but will report back if/when I do.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Delighted to report that, for no apparent reason, both seats are working.

Alfas, don't you just love them?

Pub

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Delighted to report that, for no apparent reason, both seats are working.

Alfas, don't you just love them?

Pub
Must be cuase it just warmed up a bit and you don't really need them :biglaugh:

BTW I just got mine out and had a look to replace the illumination. Looks like a little 'red' lightbulb is what I need. Anyone know where to get these? Don't see these types of bulbs anywhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts