Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a short while away from alfas (145 cloverleaf and 147 ) I am looking to get back
So my dilemma is how much room in the back of the GT I currently drive a Mk 1 TT and although it has 4 seats there is no way an adult can sit in the back... absolutely love the GT but really need a car that fits 4 adults...
If not it looks like a 159

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
413 Posts
Depends on the height of said passengers.. All four of them that is - because if the front ones are too tall, the rear ones can't have legs below their knees :biglaugh::yikes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on the height of said passengers.. All four of them that is - because if the front ones are too tall, the rear ones can't have legs below their knees :biglaugh::yikes:
This is true. I am 6"4 and with long legs I have the drivers seat right back to the end of the rails. There's room for somebody to sit behind but not comfortably. However, someone slightly shorter would be alright. As long as the seats aren't all the way back and your passengers aren't over 6"2, I'd say you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
413 Posts
This is true. I am 6"4 and with long legs I have the drivers seat right back to the end of the rails. There's room for somebody to sit behind but not comfortably. However, someone slightly shorter would be alright. As long as the seats aren't all the way back and your passengers aren't over 6"2, I'd say you'll be fine.
I'm 6'2", and I definitely wouldn't want to sit behind myself in my 156. If people in front seats are 6' - then people in the back should be no taller than 5'10". I wouldn't even recommend exceeding the 5'10" due to head height restrictions.

Reactions: spara155

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The GT is pretty roomy in the back for a coupe, but as others have said tall people may struggle in the back. It also has a huge boot, especially with the back seats down. It’s certainly got way more room in the back than a TT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 6'2", and I definitely wouldn't want to sit behind myself in my 156. If people in front seats are 6' - then people in the back should be no taller than 5'10". I wouldn't even recommend exceeding the 5'10" due to head height restrictions.
Last week I went for a drive with my girlfriend (5"10) in the front seat and my mate (6"2) in the back behind her and they were both comfortable

·
Registered
312 Posts
We have a TT in the household, and people with legs can't really sit in the back - especially not behind the front passenger seat, as 'fully forward' allows barely 10cm of leg room.

I have toyed with the idea of a GT over the years, and have been able to settle in the back of all that I've looked over - although I wouldn't want to ride there longer than 10 or 15 minutes.

The 159 has plenty of room, but it's a significantly bigger car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My GT was much roomier and practical than my 159.
The enormously big boot and the hatchback make her the best choice for big trips.
The only drawback is that the front seats don't tilt a lot to allow easy access to the rear seats. But once someone is there, is comfortable enough.

PS: I am 5' 10''

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I,m 6 foot and usually move my seat forward a click if i have rear seat passengers.. they are usually happy for journeys of a couple of hours .. but then thats usually on a night out where their drinking at least on the way home. lol

·
Registered
998 Posts
I,m 6'' ft and can get in the back with the front seat in my normal position, slightly tight but i'd say its ok.

Have had 4 passengers in before, no complaints, only 5 mile journey though

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I think that Terry is only willing to compromise so far as the choice is either a coupe or saloon. I understand preferences though but for practical reasons, the choice should be GT or Brera or alternatively 156 or 159.

They are all getting older now but for economic reasons, I'd rather take my chances on the older generation especially if handy with spanners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies I do prefer a coupe to a saloon but never considered the brera so might have a look at those ... desperate to get back in an Alfa ..although I have enjoyed the TT it’s been a labour of love fixing the weekly boost leak.... and it really is a 2 seater
So many options Gt / 159 / brera.... petrol /diesel.. the only criteria for all is it has to be red... at least that’s a start
Recommendations welcomed at the moment I’m leaning towards GT Jts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Your choices could be good but are also fraught with danger.
On Brera, beware front subfame- they corrode. It's a wide car with only 2 long doors. 159 doors are shorter though. Both are heavy though (1.5+ tons but even the GT 1.9 JTDm is getting on for 1.4).

GT sill and floor corrosion is becoming an issue but at least any corrosion is fairly obvious and more easily treated.

In any case, getting something with a Fiat derived engine is wise. The 2.0 JTS is noted as being fairly troublesome but I think wiring issues (coils and O2 sensors are not difficult for auto electrician). It will always have a bit of a thirst for 10W/60 oil though. They carbon up the inlet valves and tracts but I wonder if inlet manifold removal and using a turbo cleaner (with valves shut on each inlet tract would be a cheaper way to clean it out). I don't think they are generally any worse than the 1.9 JTD 16v engines though. You get more for your money though but it doesn't mean it will work out cheaper.

Just have a look in the respective forums for the common problems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think that anyone looking at regularly seating four adults should be looking at a GT, or for that matter a coupe, unless it is a big 6 series Beemer.
The GT will however seat two adults in absolute comfort, and as I found out a couple of months ago, take loads of luggage on a continental holiday. The boot is a really good size for this class of car, and we used soft luggage on the back seats, and then boxes (wine etc) in the boot.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Brera is only 2 seats in the back. However, that's the least of its issues. Nice to look at but very little else positive to say.
GT with a busso is the way to go. Can't see them becoming any cheaper than they are now.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts