Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GT Reverse Gear Query / also what is this connector?

1242 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  piedthepiper
Guys,

Does your reverse gear sometimes clunk/grind into place when you select it?

Sometimes it goes in smooth then other times a clunk/grind?

My civic and every honda I have had has done this, was wondering if alfas do it too?

Still learning about my first alfa

Also what is this connector, I removed the rubber cover as I was being nosey and saw it

Cheers,

Bilal

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,048 Posts
Morning. :)
Reverse gear doesn't have a synchromesh on it and is also a straight cut gear (think British touring car noise but only in reverse) so it can be a crunchy affair as the gears try to mesh as theyre spinning in the box. It's worth not rushing reverse selection from another gear as they'll still be spinning quickly and won't mesh easily.

No idea what the connector is though!

· Registered
3,229 Posts
Stop, put the clutch down and count to 3. Then put reverse in and it won't crunch. You have to give the clutch plate chance to stop spinning. Crunch=wear. No idea about the connector I'm afraid
Along similar lines, rather than crunching which seems to be about having revs above idle or forward speed above zero, I sometimes find it doesn't engage reverse satisfactorily.

To solve that I use double declutching, i.e. clutch down -> neutral -> clutch up -> clutch down -> reverse. No delays, fast as you like. Used to be standard practice, I guess, in the absence of synchromeshes in forward gears, and reverse doesn't have one, so why not...

There are threads about that connector on here. Possibly something to do with an optional phone or microphone. A search should turn up an answer.

G

·
Iirc it is for a mic patching in connection to the Bose amp so you can amplify your conversation via the speaker system while also muting the music of the stereo... Don't ask me how it works, never used it or seen it working. I just followed the cable once:D

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iirc it is for a mic patching in connection to the Bose amp so you can amplify your conversation via the speaker system while also muting the music of the stereo... Don't ask me how it works, never used it or seen it working. I just followed the cable once:D

Ah nice one...I had a feeling you'd know and now I know its of no use to me then lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.