Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car (private) with only one remote key fob. I was told a replacement would be about £50, more fool me for not checking. I have a read a few of the threads regarding keys/fobs.
I spoke to a locksmith locally, I think he said (need to call him back) that if after locking the car with the remote could I open it again with the key in the door and without the alarm going off. I can't the alarm does sound.

Alfa want £260 and this chap locally about £130 for I believe an immobiliser key. My thoughts are I could get out of the habit of locking the car with the remote and instead use the 'blade' on the fob. That way if I misplaced my keys the non-remote fob would work :)

That I think is my solution. I could spend the £260 for the convenience but don't much fancy that. My question is simply does anybody know of an alternative?

D

·
0 Posts
I guess you have to ask yourself - if he is wrong about the alarm going off will he actually be able to code another key ?

AFAIK it cant be done but willing to be corrected.

In any event at £130 for a non-remote key I'd be tempted to just get another remote for the extra outlay - might be different at £50 or so

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The extra outlay being another £130.. Maybe you are right and I should stop being a tightwad :tut: :(

·
Banned
857 Posts
When I got mine I made it a condition of the sale that a second keyfob was supplied when I came to collect the car. I had no idea at the time how much they were but I am glad I did.

Previously had hassle over getting a spare key for my wife's Peugeot, which in the end cost me £70 but £45 of that was for the OBD equipment to code the transponder to the BSI, which was still cheaper than getting the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got mine I made it a condition of the sale that a second keyfob was supplied when I came to collect the car. I had no idea at the time how much they were but I am glad I did.

Previously had hassle over getting a spare key for my wife's Peugeot, which in the end cost me £70 but £45 of that was for the OBD equipment to code the transponder to the BSI, which was still cheaper than getting the dealer to do it.
Wise. I did knock the price down on the car but as mentioned above I did not do my homework.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts