Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my cars finally booked in to get that dreaded boot lid rattle and my loose drivers door handle fixed :thumbs: all on warrenty too:p

Its going to Bauer Millet in manchester on the 9th Jan, they said a couple of days max and they supply a courtesy car FOC so happy days.

Any tips so i can point them in the right direction to make sure the rattle gets sorted on the first attempt??

Cheers. Chris

·
Registered
15,172 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Bobda but its not the parcel shelf that rattles it sounds like its coming from under the roof lining??

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
There's a creak that emanates from some welds being missed in the factory but it was rectified in later build years (post 06 I seem to recall). To fix that noise the headlining around the top of the hatch has to be removed and some bolts & nuts fitted to prevent movement & flex. It's not a small job as the headlining is bonded in - around 2 1/2 hours as I recall. More info here; http://www.alfa-gt.org/problems.php
The official Alfa document is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wasn't really aware of the rattle in my 2007 GT until I was carrying my aged parents, who don't really appreciate the sound system. Once the music was gone, the rattle made itself known, not too bad on smooth tarmac, but anything less than smooth it was bad. I even started driving with no music or radio, just so I could hear it.

Eventually my wife drove while I was in the back, where I could pinpoint where it was coming from. It was in fact the tailgate moving slightly, so I experimented with screwing out the adjusters the rubber spring loaded bumpers fit into, one at a timetaking each to the point where the boot would no longer close, then backing off just enough to allow it to close.

Once this was done for each side, the rattle was banished :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys I've still got the rattle on a 57 GT. I'm sure its getting louder or my nerves have just become more sensitive to its noise.
I've tried the fix with some feet on the parcel shelf and that didn't work (actually took the parcel out and it was still there), also I've popped the rubber bump stop on the tailgate to no avail.
Any other suggestions that I can start to look at?

I don't think this is the issue with the missing weld points as its not a creaking and more like something banging against something else. When I first take the car out it doesn't happen but eventually whatever it is gets shaken loose and starts to rattle, and then the slightest shudder in the car and the rattle is quite loud. The BOSE needs to go up to about 15 or maybe 20 (must be multiples of 5, slight ocd :lol: ) to drown it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts