Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I own a 2005 GT with the JTD engine, which, apart from the need to have both window mechanisms replaced under warranty within a few weeks of my taking delivery, has been (surprisingly!) trouble free so far. Having previously owned a 156 Sportswagon with normal (i.e.non-Bose) radio/CD player, which "remembered" the previous volume level, I find the present set-up where I always have to readjust the volume after switching on somewhat annoying, as well as distracting, despite having the controls on the steering wheel. Not much to complain about, I know, but if anyone knows if it is possible to adjust the default volume I would be delighted to hear from them.

My second question is: is it possible to fit any kind of roofrack on the GT? As there is nothing offered in the accessories brochure I suspect not, but some of you may know different.

A

·
0 Posts
skiathos said:
My second question is: is it possible to fit any kind of roofrack on the GT? As there is nothing offered in the accessories brochure I suspect not, but some of you may know different.
Unfortunatly the answer to your query is no.....I was going to get a GT but I found out that GT could not take roof bars which for me was essential so it ruled it out:(. I searched high and low.
The reason is becuase the GT doors are frameless so you cannot use the door clamps which hook onto the underside of the roof as the rubber drip strips are there.
What are you carrying though? Mountain bikes?...if so I have a solution for you that you may well be interested in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I was actually wondering about whether the roof would bear a Topper sailing dinghy, but your suggestion about bikes could also be useful.

A

·
0 Posts
Well it may not be cheap, but you could get a removable towbar (which is out of sight) and attach one of these special securing racks to it so your bikes do not get pinched....www.maxxraxx.co.uk and maybe tow the dinghy

·
Registered
63 Posts
skiathos said:
is it possible to fit any kind of roofrack on the GT? As there is nothing offered in the accessories brochure I suspect not, but some of you may know different.
I asked the same question last year. There is no roof rack available from AR or even Thuile. (Strangely there are other cars with frameless door glass that have got manufacturers/Thuile racks available):confused:

The only solutions I found (for my windsurfing gear) are the X Rack:
X Rack (this is what I'd probably go for but would need to check fitment)

Or Vacurack which uses suction pads:
Vacu rack

As long as you don't mind rivetting the small plates to the roof the Melrose rack looks ideal too and more sturdy than the others:
Melrose rack

I was looking at a towbar as well. The Ellebi (Ellerbi) listed as a genuine part is over £400 +VAT+fitting from your AR dealer! Look at :
Towequipe Towbars
for a better idea of prices. Also remember that most require a small slot cut out low down on the bumper.

Unfortunately this is all theory at the moment as, 3 months after ordering, I still haven't got my new GT yet.:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for your most helpful research! It's given me a lot of food for thought and I will let people know if I go for any of these.

Has anyone any ideas on resetting the default Bose radio/CD volume as per my first question above?

A

·
0 Posts
Not sure about how to make it remember the on volume, but I think you can set the 'on' volume in the menu if thats any help?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tell me about it, the radio volume thing is the only thing that I dislike about my GT. It drives me absolutely nuts and believe me , I have tried everything to change it and you just can't.

If anybody out there does know how, then I would love to know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nope. It irritates the hell out of me too, especially since it is that fiddly digi button one has to use to get the volume up (unlike a knob in my audi).

I actually went to the Blaupunkt repair centre to ask, they told me no.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I haven't come across a solution to the volume control either, and you're right it's the only really annoying thing about the GT. No use to you I know, but the latest 147s volume set up only goes up to 10 and is much more user friendly. Iknow that sounds a bit "Spinal Tap" but it's true.

As for carrying a Topper I'm afraid you simply can't do it. We use cars from the rest of the fleet for carrying the Laser (lad's got a stonkin' big A6 estate) and we tow the GP 14 using my pal's car. Couldn't bear to shove a tow bar on the GT.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm told it's possible to change the default on the original set-up but not on the Bose - it just defaults to 20.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I'm told it's possible to change the default on the original set-up but not on the Bose - it just defaults to 20.
trust me to have the BOSE:rolleyes:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the Bose (early one - pre Dec '04) and it remembers the volume. I have had to disable the auto volume leveling though (unplug the mic or bridge a connection on the amp) - uggghhh!!! You probably have a newer system that does not have this "feature". Is there any hiss (rushing sound) on your Bose system at low volumes?

Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having seen so many threads in respect to the low start volume of the BOSE (where there is no way around it), I believe the logic behind it is the fact that the system does have "Auto Volume Leveling". I am under the impression, that even that it starts at 20, a few minutes later the AVL picks up and the level gets higher.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I asked the same question last year. There is no roof rack available from AR or even Thuile. (Strangely there are other cars with frameless door glass that have got manufacturers/Thuile racks available):confused:

The only solutions I found (for my windsurfing gear) are the X Rack:
X Rack (this is what I'd probably go for but would need to check fitment)

Or Vacurack which uses suction pads:
Vacu rack

As long as you don't mind rivetting the small plates to the roof the Melrose rack looks ideal too and more sturdy than the others:
Melrose rack

I was looking at a towbar as well. The Ellebi (Ellerbi) listed as a genuine part is over £400 +VAT+fitting from your AR dealer! Look at :
Towequipe Towbars
for a better idea of prices. Also remember that most require a small slot cut out low down on the bumper.

Unfortunately this is all theory at the moment as, 3 months after ordering, I still haven't got my new GT yet.:(
Did you get round to getting a X RACK then trickydicky...or did you find something else.I ask as I am looking for a rack for next years holiday, the X rack looks to be a good option at the moment as I dont really wat a tow -bar, and don`t want to fly and hire a car again.
Cheers Bodgit.x

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yep, if you pull the booster pin (i.e., not have it pulled high - you don't have to connect to ground) on the radio to make it think there is no Bose amp (reduce the levels), the volume setting persists. This also causes the equalizer function to reappear. However, the Bose amp sounds pretty bad if you do this!

I ended up disconnecting the "audiopilot" mic to reduce hiss (early GTs had this) - this was more of a fix than tinkering with the booster pin. So, in short, I think you are stuck with the Bluapunkt head unit resetting to "20" when you have the Bose amp if you want to retain sound quality.

edit: the audiopilot function is the "AVL" mentioned above. I found it very, very annoying! Alfa removed it on 2005 or younger GTs.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I don't get this at all on my Bose (2005) GT :confused:
:D

It's an Irish import if that makes any difference. The volume returns to the last used setting as I'd expect.

Sorry - I'm not much use to this thread :(

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't get this at all on my Bose (2005) GT :confused:
:D

It's an Irish import if that makes any difference. The volume returns to the last used setting as I'd expect.

Sorry - I'm not much use to this thread :(
The Bose amp setup was changed in 2005, so maybe the headunit firmware changed as well.

I think the reversion to "20" is related to the volume levelling as suggested above.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you get round to getting a X RACK then trickydicky...or did you find something else.I ask as I am looking for a rack for next years holiday, the X rack looks to be a good option at the moment as I dont really wat a tow -bar, and don`t want to fly and hire a car again.
Cheers Bodgit.x
Sorry Bodgit but haven't tried the X rack yet. My girlfriend has started windsurfing too so I've 2 boards and associated gear to carry and the weight would just be too much I think for the roof.

I have had a towbar fitted which is great for mounting a study bikerack to. See this thread.
Towbar pics

The small camping trailer I tow behind the GT may have to be modified so its got a sort of roofrack as at the moment I'm using my 1961 LandRover to carry the boards.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts