Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've had a leak from my power steering system for a couple of weeks ,I've now got round to getting it into the garage to get it looked at, the garage reckons the front pipe has been chafing on the steering cable and it's worn through, therefore leaking fluid quite badly, they are saying it's a big job to replace as it's a real ass to remove and means removing the radiator and sub frame ? Really ? Anyone got any knowledge of this issue and does their remedy sound feasible? Albeit expensive
Cheers guys
Mark

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't have experience of a GT, but my 156 steering fluid cooling pipe sprung a leak once, where I was loosing fluid. The 156 system runs from the rack round the gearbox side of the engine bay, from a couple of flexi pipes to a metal rigid one running under the radiator to the driver's side where there is a coil with several turns and back under the radiator on a parallel pipe to the first and back to the rack past the gearbox. One of the pipes under the radiator had chaffed on a bolt somewhere under the radiator and sprung the leak.

I got a replacement from a breakers and managed to fit it without removing the radiator, the front bumper, the subframe, event the under-shield and all was well with a little extra rubber packing to prevent it happening again. From your description, it is not exactly clear where your leak is. I'm guessing it's in a similar place from how you describe what needs to be removed. So hope this offers some help...

Incidentally, I saved one of the rigid pipes to use as a gearbox oil filler as the hole to fill it is on the back of the gearbox and no way of getting a bottle of oil near it without making an horrendous mess...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
AFAIK, the hose/pipe assembly is not pressurised as the pressure hose goes straight to the rack (unless someone can correct me).

That being the case, perhaps some sort of repair section could be put in place.

Also, I don't think the radiator should need to be removed but possibly its small supporting subframe (not the suspension subframe).

Even if access is absolutely needed to the rack banjo bolts, perhaps removing the sump is less work.

Removing the subframe may sound bad but even that isn't too bad. The exhaust under the sump needs to be removed, disconnect ARB links, remove strut horseshoe brackets, loosen center under-car plate, disconnect wishbones from ball joints, remove 2 steering rack bolts, PAS mounting on n/s (easier with n/s driveshaft removed), powertrain torque mounting and remove the 8 subframe mounting bolts.

3 hours out and in, I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts