Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bizarrely one of my rear parking sensors has disappeared into the rear bumper? Is it easy to remove the rear bumper? Or is there a way of disabling the sensors altogether? Many thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The sensor is installed from the back of the bumper and is a bayonet fixing to the holder installed from the front, there is a spring over the the body of the sensor to keep tension on it. It may be either the sensor or holder that has broken. Is the holder still in the bumper?

If it is it should just pull out if the sensor has fallen inside. However you may have lost the spring and/or holder but all are available as separate spares. Bear in mind all 4 holders have different part numbers.

I don't think you need to remove the bumper to replace any of them, I replaced the inner offside when it packed up without removing the bumper, the other 3 looked to be accessible.

Lie under the bumper reach up with one hand at the back of the bumper and the other hand on the outside, holder and sensor in either hand, push together and twist.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Going to have a look at that this week, if it's possible to access the inner sensors without moving the bumper... I'll give it a go - ta :thumbs:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your replies guys. It's the rear sensor next to the number plate, the holder is still there managed to find the sensor with spring attached inside the bumper. So looks like I shall have to take it off to fetch it. Thanks GT blackline shall read them at the weekend and fetch it out a bit of arildite should hold it in place.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No probs, Hex. Hope you get it sorted.

As Pub says, some people are able to slip their hands behind the bumper when its still attached to the car, but this seems to only work for less than 3% of Alfa owners. I did try that method, but there was no way I could get my hand behind there. Besides, I really wanted to check for loose wiring or rust/damage to the other sensors. The bumper will only take less than two hours to remove and replace.

Best of luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Old thread, new(ish) bloke!

Recently when we took the GT to one of those hand wash car cleaners, one of the idiots pushed one of the centre reversing sensors into the bumper, thinking it was the boot release! I mean, how thick can you get?!

It seems to me, the easiest way to fix this (as I have all the parts) is to remove the number plate, cut an access hole in the bumper, fix the sensor back in and pop the number plate back!

Problem solved!

JH

·
Registered
558 Posts
my advice is to take off the bumper, fix the one that is damaged and strengthen the others. Only for the left one you don't have to remove the bumper ( ez job anyway ).
in my case, left one fail first. Fixed without removing the bumper. After few month , I had to fix first near left one , and then the right one ( removing bumper twice ) .
unfortunately I didn't take the photo, but I'm telling you, take off the bumper, and add reinforcement to each sensor
it is especially recommended if you use a car washer under high pressure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts