Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the hassle I had with stone chipping, and the rear arches getting 'peppered' on my previous GT - I feared the worst with the new one. After 1 month, it was annoying. After 6, it was disturbing. By 11 months it was not acceptable!

To my suprise, the new car is not nearly as effected by the issue - nearly 5 weeks in.
I gave the car a good going over last weekend when the weather permitted. I'm pleased to say (for the want of a better term!), that there is only one very light stone chip on the bonnet.

I've noticed that the paint manufacturer for this car is 'PPG' versus 'DuPont' last time out - Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is anyone agreeing with me if I say that the PPG paint is of better quality, more durable, harder?

My routes remain pretty much the same - similar mileage/commutes each day. :confused:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It is quite possible the paint is softer, so less likely to chip. It could get harder with age. PPG is a major paint manufacturer. Or you might be leaving a bit of space in front. Previous owner of mine did 46K and picked up some stone chips, but was mainly a motorway driver.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think the paint job is pretty shocking to be honest. It really must be the THINNEST paint ever. I drive around 120 miles of motorway every day, yet, i like to think that i do stay reasonably far away from the car in front... but my front bumper is like a minefield with stone chips!

Rab

·
Registered
47 Posts
Agree with the paint comments, it does seem very thin. My car has only covered 11K and already is suffering from peppering on rear arches and stones on bottom - worse than previous cars (VW / Vauxhall). Also, both rear door rubbers seem to rubbing against the paint when the doors are closed, meaning the paint is slowing getting warn away down to the primer, pretty cr*p really IMO.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Remember the Bavarians suffering from acidic aerial bombardment not too long ago? All manufacturers are continuing to experiment with various finishes, with regard to green legislation,and a multitude of other factors that affect those thin protective layers between steel and atmosphere.Cost is a most important factor in this extremely competitive market. Read current and back dated articles on finishing and re-finishing techniques. It is a constantly changing world.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I started a thread about this sometime last Year as I could not believe the amount of stone chips on the front of my GT:(

I don't know if it is down to the paint manufacturer, more the processes used when applying....but, saying that, I always used to use PPG paints when I worked in a bodyshop and found them better than most other paint manufacturers.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well said Jason, I always got a good gun finish with Valentines. Then what happened? They exited the UK market. Superb gloss, perhaps a little soft, so more inclined to 'dent' than chip. This is just one of a multitude of snags the paint manufacturers are up against, trying to satisfy legislators and customers alike.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well said Jason, I always got a good gun finish with Valentines. Then what happened? They exited the UK market. Superb gloss, perhaps a little soft, so more inclined to 'dent' than chip. This is just one of a multitude of snags the paint manufacturers are up against, trying to satisfy legislators and customers alike.
We always liked working with the PPG much more than Standox ( which was the only other supplier we used) as it producd a much better finish and seemed more hard wearing after being baked. I spreayed my first couple of cars in PPG and the finish was amazing ( even though the paint application was a bit crap...should not have used my own car to try out my first attempt at applying a two layer candy:cry: ) but then had to use a Standox supply for the base coat on the last car I sprayed and was not impresssed. I shipped the shell off to have the top pearl and candy coats done using PPG as I just did not feel confident enough to get a good finish using the base I had applied ( and did not want to screw it up and have to strip back the shell again:eek: )

What paint was used on the pre facelift 156's? Mine seemed to hold up much better than the GT. It was still covered in them at the front but, considering it's age in comparison with the GT, I think it did pretty well.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
What about that layer of film that you can aply on the bonnet/arches in order to prevent stone chipping?Does it hold over time,is it visible?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
What paint was used on the pre facelift 156's? Mine seemed to hold up much better than the GT. It.
DuPont - i.e Standox was the paint used until around 2004, after that its PPG.

My 159 is pretty bad with the PPG, especially the rear doors and arches. The bonnet is similar to the 156.

The flat front was always gonna get a doing!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I've got Alfa Red on my GT, as I did on the 147 before it. Both bonnets seemed susceptible to stone chips, but to be honest, it's not something I noticed any more than on any other car. I tend to view stone chips as unavoidable battle scars your car picks up and don't really take issue with them. We had an Audi until recently where I think the bonnet was about 80% touch-up paint!

My dealer did offer to fit the film marius mentioned when I bought the car, but I opted not to have it done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My GT is far worse than any car I have owned. Suppose it doesn't help going for a dark colour but minor scratches, chips and swirls just appear from nowhere.

F

·
0 Posts
Don't know if the GT is better/worse, but my 164 was covered in paint chips (especially the painted "nose" on the bonnet) and my 156 also. My wife's BMW (which is 4 years old) has virtually none, but BMWs are reputed to have "hard" paint.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine is in the (sadly discontinued ) Brunello, made by Dupont, and it is absolutely fine, with no stone chips or damage at all.

Only damage was on the doors where they have hit my garage wall when I have opened them carelessly. But even that was quickly sorted by Chipsaway.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Don't know if the GT is better/worse, but my 164 was covered in paint chips (especially the painted "nose" on the bonnet) and my 156 also. My wife's BMW (which is 4 years old) has virtually none, but BMWs are reputed to have "hard" paint.

Cheers,

Nigel
The paint on my old (94) 164 was very soft whereas the paint on my silver 156 (1999) is ultra hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a problem when I picked up my car. There was water trapped under the lacquer and under certain light and angle it had a light blue streak on the bonnet.

Took it to a dealer under warranty came back 4 days later with the main mark gone but still lots of little marks at the botton. Called the dealer and they said that they didn't have a bodyshop so they sent it to the local Ford bodyshop?? and to speak directly to them.

Popped into the Ford bodyshop and the manager told me that the Alfa dealer told them to do it as cheaply as possible and he said they could possibly get the water out with heat lamps. I was amazed.

Anyway, the paintshop manager just said leave it with them, they would do a full respray of the bonnet under the warranty ticket that Alfa had opened with them.

2 days later - cars back with proper paint job on bonnet.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Not that it's worth mentioning( so why do it zf) armoured vehicles paint finish chips, scratches, and degrades, need repainting drab olive, sand, or camouflage, synthetic finish, leaving bullet pinging out of it! Aircraft finish is pretty durable, leaves the salt, stones, down here for us to contend with. De Lorean's finish, sink fashion, was ok, made it like driving a Lead Sledge though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What about that layer of film that you can aply on the bonnet/arches in order to prevent stone chipping?Does it hold over time,is it visible?
I had my GTA armourfended from new (well, 3500 miles, which was enbough for some chips on the wheel arches!) and while the edges of the film are visible if you go looking for them, the paint is like new 2 years later. I recommend it. Weirdly, some of the film panels that are the most obvious are the least needed. I would recommend having just the nose and the front edges of the wheel arches done, the panels behind the arches seem pointless and are the most visible. I've got pics of the film edges if anyone is interested.

I think Alfa paint is thin - in common with many makes these days - and the fact most of the car is painted, not nasty black plastic, and the vertical nose sections, don't help.

To the OP - what colout was your last GT? If the current one is silver as per your avatar, silver is usually stronger and also shows chips less...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts