Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to you all.
I've been really suprised to find Alfa GT's used car prices have dropped within my car spend budget but due to past horror stories & press releases i've never dipped my toe into Alfa ownership before, but due to the GT's style, exclusiveness & equipment levels for the money i am really tempted. I have sourced advice from a friend of the family who own's & loves his 147 (he adviced me to contact yourselves at AO), his advice has helped but his knowledge is limited as never owned GT. I would greatly appreciate any experience's owners have had with there GT's (highs & lows), issues/problems to look out for, common problems & general ownership cost's. I am currently seaching GT's coupled with the 1.9 multijet diesel engine but i've been advised 10,000 miles a year (approx 45mins being the longest continuos journey a day) just isn't enough to warrant the diesel & would suffer from carbon build up's, if you agree with this then what kind of mpg return could i expect from the petrol engines in the real world?
Many thanks

Andy :confused:

·
Banned
173 Posts
The 147 and the GT are very similar cars mechanically and they share many common parts. The 1.9 JTDm is a strong engine that if looked after properly will serve you well! Points to look out for are full service history, especially at the cam belt has been changed - they are due at 70k or 5 years, but most people advise that they are done every 4 years or 60k. Along with this, you should check if the water pump has been changed at the same point in time as these tend to be one of the reasons for premature failure of the belt and pump. Another thing to look out for is an overley heavy clutch as the mechanism can cause problems on see models. I tend to have a similar time level of commute to yours, but mine is all dual carriageway, so it has a great chance to clean out the engine. I'm certainly happy with my 147 JTDm! And if looked after properly, you should too!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Hi Andy, welcome to AO, come along to the West Midlands meet on Wed 26th Jan 7pm onwards and meet owners and check out GT's there should be a couple there at least.
Also check out 'Simplyalfas' the local indi people they might have a GT for sale.

G

·
0 Posts
Andy....I only do 6/7k a year and as an example £40 worth of fuel in mine lasts me 2-3 weeks whereas in my previous 159 3.2 that £40 lasted a week (less sometimes). Plus with the GT's you haven't got the dreaded DPF so it shouldn't give you any problems. Shameless plug but mine is for sale (almost, no pics yet) and all the jobs are sorted

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/317168-heads-up-gt-jtdm-up-for-sale.html

I am getting 39mpg at present with most of my driving in the city, a 3.2 V6 will give you late teens/20 at most with this sort of driving and a 2.0 JTS probaly mid 20's up to 30 at very most. Plus if you like fast cars then 3.2 aside the 1.9 (once remapped) is quite a bit quicker than the 2.0 JTS, it is a fun car to drive though don't get me wrong but it may not feel the quoted 165bhp as has to be revved to get the best from it, hence the low mpg. Test drive both, you will soon know which one is for you

There are no lows are far as I am concerned. It is a fantastic looking car that turns heads often, that is extremely practical (I have a wife, toddler, teenage and dog and we all travel in it in comfort), handles fantastically and is quick and a great crusier. To me it is almost the perfect car. I say almost as mine doesn;t have the 3.2 V6 engine lol!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your speedy replies. Good to hear that a decent run on fast roads does work to limit the carbon build up with the multijet engine as i do a mixture of national limit dual carriageways & motorways along with the inevitable stop start traffic of ring roads & inner cities.
Really glad the subject of cambelts has been brought up as i was unsure of intervals between changes & as with most vehicles of same age the water pumps.
As mentioned by nickmoff can you please explain alittle further on what a overlay clutch is? I have also been warned to feel for smooth gear changes as bushes within the selector are common for wearing? Whilst on subject of clutches are the GT petrol & diesels fitted with dual mass flywheels & if so any common problems there? as working with commercial vans & such most manufactures offer a solid replacement due to the problems caused by clutch dust clogging up inside the flywheel.
As for the 3.2 petrol idea- I too can only dream as insurance & running costs i imagine will all be high. Nice to hear that £40 of fuel goes so far in the diesel- i'm currently getting through £40 every x2 wks in my astra petrol.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Sorry Andy, I meant 'overly' as in 'more than you'd expect' heavy clutch. I believe the diesel has a 'dual mass flywheel' as on the 147. I don't know much about the petrol's but I am a real fan of the GT/ 147 diesels as they are full of torque and pull really well. I think you are right about checking for smoothness of gear change and I would also pay attention to suspension bushes as it is a known problem on the 147, not sure about GT but may as well give them a good check. Really, I think the diesels don't have a lot to worry you, if they are looked after properly! I get about 40-45 mpg out of 147- happy shopping!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for yoyr help, looks like i've got to really start visting a few motors for sale.

G

·
0 Posts
2.0 JTS is a 3 year or 36k cambelt change, diesel is 5 years but I would recommend 4 years

The 1.9 JTDm definitely had a heavier clutch than other cars I have driven...and a bit of a creak :lol:....but as I have played football for nigh on 30 years I have pretty stongs legs so barely notice :lol:

I don't think you'll have any problems witht he mixed driving you do...the 1.9 JTDm is amazing on the motorway...effortless. The only reason I'm getting rid is I barely do any motorway driving so am not getting the best from it

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Welcome Andy I purchased my first Alfa which is a GT and I love it I can't stop finding an excuse to go out in it. Enjoy let us know what you get :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Andy, welcome. I've had my GT a month and love it to bits- only word of warning is that you may spend more on fuel as you'll find any excuse for a drive! Used to do about 500 miles a month, done 1200 since I've had it!! Brilliant car. Also, if you're not into remapping for insurance etc, there is a 170hp diesel which has a nice bit more grunt when it comes to it, and takes about 1.2 sec of the 0-60 time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had my 05 plate for 4 years this year. Nothing really major has happened in those 4 years. I don't think I spend no more than £500 - £600 a year in maintenance, that includes independent servicing, MOT etc. It's the best car I've ever owned and I've been down the VW and BMW route. Plus you will be in an exclusive club, cause I don't see many GT's. Only problem is I don't know what car to change to next! 170 bhp GT diesel sounds nice!

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi mate look out for the boot rattle pain in arse to sort out, the squeek from from suspension could be upper or lower wishbones easy to do.Also go for a fast drive on motorway listen for wind noise from windows need to be over 80 or so to hear it it can be bad also pain to fix.Open close door watch the window it should drop a few mills when you open it the when you close it it should raise a few mills do this several times if theres a problem this will show it up .Its a good car just make sure Cam belt and water pumps been done .

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've had my 2.0JTS GT for almost 5 years now, and still love it. No real issues in that time. Cambelt change is expensive, but I've only had to do it once so far. I get 31.5mpg from mine, according to 6 months data on fuelly.com. So fuel economy isn't a patch on the diesel, but then I don't do loads of miles and just didn't like the feel or sound of the diesel. Petrols should be quite a bit cheaper to buy than the diesel too.

The GT is a really nice car, and a LOT of car for the money you can now get them for. I'm thinking of selling mine (04 plate, 58K miles) - for around £4K - so if you're interested, let me know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Andy,

Made me laugh reading this as Im in the same boat, currently driving an Astra G 2.2 and thought I'd join AO before I purchased a GT 1.9 JTD to ask plenty of questions before buying my first Alfa too :)

Im looking to buy around summertime with a 6K budget. Has to be black with leathers tho. How much you looking to spend?

Already spoke to Steve at Angel tuning too as professional remap is best way to get 40Bhp and more torque (without spending 2k more on a cloverleaf lol) and not bad of £270.

Happy GT hunting

Lee

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Had my GT Q2 for 11 months now, had a derv 159 before that for 2 years.

A very practical car as well as all the other good stuff. I've got 2 lads and we still manage to get all our camping and sports gear in the GT.
I even get my lovely new Giant Seek 2 Urban bike in the back, a bonus!

I feel that this generation of Alfas does need a little more TLC than the newer (as in the 159) generation. Service is an absolute must. Needs to be the proper oil at the proper intervals or earlier.
Did my cambelt and water pump at 64K to be sure.

It seems to be a car with loads of character, mostly good, but the odd annoying trait or two. Rattles come and go with no apparent reason!

I think it is a storming car, and for the money they are going for these days, an utter bargain. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I think most has been said re suspension and cambelt service.

I bought mine because a couple of months previous I bought on a whim (almost) a '97 Spider. The Spider is gorgeous with the 2.0 TS engine. Alfa petrol engines sound very nice.

Anyway I bought the GT but was considering a 159 2.4 diesel, a 2004 CLK 270CDi, Passat and an A4 Cab.
My GF loves the GT so it kind of pushed me in that direction.
I love the looks (though I now think rosso or a silver would have been better than black). I have 17" alloys (no idea of the name) which do suit it well. Grey leather interior (with a Liquidleather air freshener) smells and looks the dogs :). As you say the spec is quite impressive and the Blaupunkt stereo in mine sounds OK. I do not intend to remap (though many say I should) as for me there is plenty enough power and I have currently two weekend cars anyway.

I hate the ride though on anything but dual carriageways and motorways I find it a bit crashy and hard. I have purchased new drop links (need to fit them) as there is a knocking sound from the front.

That is my only criticism of the car but I am old now :lol: so perhaps my back is just not upto it like it was. The ride in both my weekend cars is actually better :eek: or maybe I am not in them as much so forget!

Lastly I do about 150 miles a week on 'A' roads and motorways about 50/50 and get 40mpg out of the 1.9 M-jet. I used to get about 37mpg out of my old Rover 25 1.6 petrol, though that was in warmer weather so probably not the best comparison. I'm told diesels take longer to warm up, so on not so long journeys like mine they are not as good as you might expect? I still don't like the noise a diesel makes and this 4-pot is no exception. I did get a ride in a 2.4 Brera and that sounds sooo much better IMO. Very quick too but then a bit **** on economy from all accounts (friend from Yorkshire has a 159 and hates the MPG).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'll agree with everything above.
I use mine daily for work commute, it's great. Can fit 2 greyhounds and suitcase in the boot with seats down and the torque is superb! Nice 6 speed gearbox and the one thing no one has mentioned is that without fail, every single one of us will admit to parking it and then keep looking back at it, 'cos they are so damn beautiful!!! its an addiction.
Steps to heaven:
1. Buy GT
2. Drive it (and you wont want to get out)
3. Fall in love your bella GT.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I did get a ride in a 2.4 Brera and that sounds sooo much better IMO. Very quick too but then a bit **** on economy from all accounts (friend from Yorkshire has a 159 and hates the MPG).
I think this is more to do with coming from Yorkshire than Alfa fuel economy.. :D

·
Registered
26,130 Posts
In a GT - the 2.0 JTS also - since 2.5 years. 156 SW before that, same engine.

Both have been exemplary.
Nice, nimble, a pleasure to drive.
Beautiful to look at, a pleasure to be in.
No irritating creaks or rattles and the suspension is quieter on my GT than it was on the 156.
It's a practical car too - be it on camping trips, carrying bikes or dogs, long hauls with lots of luggage.

.../... I get 31.5mpg from mine, according to 6 months data on fuelly.com .../...
I struggle to get as many as 27 mpg (26.8 with 17.400 miles tracked) :( and it has started drinking oil like there's no tomorrow once over 65.000 km - the 156 was better in that respect - better consuption, less oil, same engine though. Must be down to individual engines.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts