Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been in ownership of my beautiful Atlantico Blue GT Cloverleaf for over a year now. It hasn't been without it's problems, but in general it's been a positive experience and I'm still over the moon I got it. I still love driving it, it puts a smile on my face and that's what we all want!

A little summary of what's been done to date:

- Dreaded metal swirl flaps removed (instant weight off my shoulders)
- Upper and lower hoses changed to Autolusso silicones
- Remap to around 200bhp
- EGR delete
- Hybrid inners fitted to OM turbo casing, following turbo failure
- Alloy refurb
- Various internal cosmetics

As for work I need/want doing:

- Brake discs; rears need replacing
- Clutch/flywheel; clutch slip is becoming quite prominent now
- Chassis and suspension upgrades
- Parking sensors; never have worked since I bought it
- Bonnet respray; someones had a (poor) effort at touching up the stone chips
- Remap tweak to 220+

Brakes:

So to start with, I'm in desperate need of replacing my rear discs. Initially I was just going to replace them with OM's, but then when I was doing some digging on here it seemed a few people on here are impressed with the MTEC discs which aren't much/any more expensive than the OM discs anyway. Most reviews I've found are positive, so that seems like a no brainer. I like the look of the drilled and grooved discs http://www.mtecbrakes.com/mtec1216.html

I then stumbled across the Performance Friction pads as they were mentioned in a couple of threads, and it seems that a good pad upgrade makes a big difference, even on OM discs. Autolusso can supply and fit these for the GT for £255.

I've always felt the OM brakes were alright, but not great. I've never done any performance mods to a car previously, the GT is the first, so I'm guessing I'll notice a huge difference when I get the upgrade.

Since I'm looking to get a bit more power from the remap I have it'll be nice having some much improved stopping power from the OM setup.

Clutch/Flywheel:

Starting to get some nice slip, and with going for a bit more power I really need to upgrade the clutch and flywheel. It hasn't been tried and tested as much as I would've liked before going for it, but I'm going to get the GTA clutch/SMF offering from Autolusso fitted. From Damien's experience to date, it sounds really positive re day to day drivability and it should be able to stand up to the torque levels I'm thinking of if it's coping with his torque levels.

Chassis:

Really want to upgrade the chassis and suspension, but after a new clutch/flywheel and the brake upgrades I really won't be able to do a full upgrade anytime soon.

Are there any relatively cheap/small mods worth doing that will make a noticeable difference? Can't imagine there will be.

As for any further work, it will have to wait. After the brakes and clutch/flywheel, chassis and suspension is definitely next on the list.

Loving the GT, and if I keep getting upgrades as and when I can, the experience is only going to get better :thumbup:

Reactions: ALFADOIT

·
Registered
59 Posts
You need to consider the oil cooler mod perhaps not cheap but my fittings were corroded imo well worth doing. Used to live on Cowpen estate really miss being up there.
:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to consider the oil cooler mod perhaps not cheap but my fittings were corroded imo well worth doing. Used to live on Cowpen estate really miss being up there.
:yes::yes::yes:
I'm taking it over to Dan at Autolusso Penrith either next month or August, will be getting it well checked out and will see what condition the oil cooler and fittings are in :thumbup:

Ah I grew up just over the 'black path' in Newsham Farm. I like it up here, especially being on the coast and still having plenty countryside nearby to blast around!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T

·
0 Posts
Well I've been in ownership of my beautiful Atlantico Blue GT Cloverleaf for over a year now. It hasn't been without it's problems, but in general it's been a positive experience and I'm still over the moon I got it. I still love driving it, it puts a smile on my face and that's what we all want!

A little summary of what's been done to date:

- Dreaded metal swirl flaps removed (instant weight off my shoulders)
- Upper and lower hoses changed to Autolusso silicones
- Remap to around 200bhp
- EGR delete
- Hybrid inners fitted to OM turbo casing, following turbo failure
- Alloy refurb
- Various internal cosmetics

As for work I need/want doing:

- Brake discs; rears need replacing
- Clutch/flywheel; clutch slip is becoming quite prominent now
- Chassis and suspension upgrades
- Parking sensors; never have worked since I bought it
- Bonnet respray; someones had a (poor) effort at touching up the stone chips
- Remap tweak to 220+

Brakes:

So to start with, I'm in desperate need of replacing my rear discs. Initially I was just going to replace them with OM's, but then when I was doing some digging on here it seemed a few people on here are impressed with the MTEC discs which aren't much/any more expensive than the OM discs anyway. Most reviews I've found are positive, so that seems like a no brainer. I like the look of the drilled and grooved discs http://www.mtecbrakes.com/mtec1216.html

I then stumbled across the Performance Friction pads as they were mentioned in a couple of threads, and it seems that a good pad upgrade makes a big difference, even on OM discs. Autolusso can supply and fit these for the GT for £255.

I've always felt the OM brakes were alright, but not great. I've never done any performance mods to a car previously, the GT is the first, so I'm guessing I'll notice a huge difference when I get the upgrade.

Since I'm looking to get a bit more power from the remap I have it'll be nice having some much improved stopping power from the OM setup.

Clutch/Flywheel:

Starting to get some nice slip, and with going for a bit more power I really need to upgrade the clutch and flywheel. It hasn't been tried and tested as much as I would've liked before going for it, but I'm going to get the GTA clutch/SMF offering from Autolusso fitted. From Damien's experience to date, it sounds really positive re day to day drivability and it should be able to stand up to the torque levels I'm thinking of if it's coping with his torque levels.

Chassis:

Really want to upgrade the chassis and suspension, but after a new clutch/flywheel and the brake upgrades I really won't be able to do a full upgrade anytime soon.

Are there any relatively cheap/small mods worth doing that will make a noticeable difference? Can't imagine there will be.

As for any further work, it will have to wait. After the brakes and clutch/flywheel, chassis and suspension is definitely next on the list.

Loving the GT, and if I keep getting upgrades as and when I can, the experience is only going to get better :thumbup:
I've had my SMF and GTA clutch for a few days. I have a morning school run in london, stop/start traffic and I wouldn't have noticed a difference. I do notice a difference when the engine is cold chatter, vibrations especially in reverse but with what it's giving me the behavioural changes at low speeds are negligible. So am I recommending the change yes, as I had some slippage on a remap and knew a SMF and GTA clutch it was the best solution. So far, it's still the right option and Autolusso have my recommendation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

V

·
0 Posts
Brakes:

Chassis:

I'd be a little wary of replacing just the rear discs with something that's very different from what's on the front (you'll change the front-rear brake balance). Also, beware, drilled and grooved discs may give you slightly better bite, but they make rather a lot of noise on hard braking. I think good enough results can be had from smooth discs with good pads.

On the suspension front, you can't do much better than an Eibach Pro S coilover set-up, along with the matching Eibach ARBs. And if you can't afford all of that at once, just the ARBs with your existing springs-dampers will give you worthwhile improvements in the interim.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had my SMF and GTA clutch for a few days. I have a morning school run in london, stop/start traffic and I wouldn't have noticed a difference. I do notice a difference when the engine is cold chatter, vibrations especially in reverse but with what it's giving me the behavioural changes at low speeds are negligible. So am I recommending the change yes, as I had some slippage on a remap and knew a SMF and GTA clutch it was the best solution. So far, it's still the right option and Autolusso have my recommendation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I think my nervousness was just down to so few people having tried this option. Having said that, more and more people are popping up with this clutch and SMF and have only said good things. I've used Dan at Autolusso Penrith since I've had the GT and he's been spot on. When he says he wishes they could provide a warranty with the kit then that speaks volumes to me, they're clearly very happy with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be a little wary of replacing just the rear discs with something that's very different from what's on the front (you'll change the front-rear brake balance). Also, beware, drilled and grooved discs may give you slightly better bite, but they make rather a lot of noise on hard braking. I think good enough results can be had from smooth discs with good pads.

On the suspension front, you can't do much better than an Eibach Pro S coilover set-up, along with the matching Eibach ARBs. And if you can't afford all of that at once, just the ARBs with your existing springs-dampers will give you worthwhile improvements in the interim.
I should've said, I'm doing both sets of discs and pads :) I never considered the front-rear brake balance though to be honest, I just thought of balance between the two rears, or two fronts. All new discs and pads anyway. I've heard the drilled and grooved are a little noisy on hard braking but that doesn't bother me as long as they stop me :thumbup:

Yea I'd love to get the Eibach Pro S set-up in but definitely going to be out of my reach at the moment. Certainly one for the future though. Eibach ARB's will definitely be the first thing done on the chassis when I have the funds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts