Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
And there was me feeling badly done to because the hoses, pipes and cooler on my 16 year old Saab were both knackered and unobtainable. If you need hoses and pipes, get in touch with a hydraulic hose manufacturer. They should be able to make them using yours as a pattern.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
As mentioned above we have developed a full fit to replace both pipes and cooler, the problem has been we have had to have the fittings made that go on to the oil filter housing

Kit will be available in about 2 weeks and will be half the price of the OEM kit and much better quality

Ned

·
Registered
12 Posts
Temporary fix!

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I was led here after a google search, my GT 07 started with the dreaded drip from the oil cooler, looking at the prices of the parts and being in Cyprus (extortionate postage!) I decided to see if I could sort it myself ( 40 yrs a mechanic) The pipes on mine were ok, just surface rust, it was the alloy extension on the cooler that was the problem, the top 3-4mm has corroded away and 2 attempts to reseal the joint failed, to cure the problem I filed down the offending extension to make it flat again, then, as the rubber "o" ring sits quite far back on the pipe, I then ground 3-4mm off the end of the pipe so the seal sits within the extension again. hey presto!!! it's fixed, just a good lathering of grease is now required to prevent further corrosion, I hope this may help others in a similar situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seems I have the dreaded oil cooler problem.

Driving home yesterday afternoon and decided to stop off at the in-laws, thankfully as it happens. Got our of the car to find a puddle of oil at the front wheel and a very oily arch liner. I think if we had continued on our journey we could have run in to major problems. Couldn't get the wheel arch liner off due to some very stuck screws and limited tools with me, so have had to leave it sitting for now. Borrowed a car to get home and there is a lovely line of oil along the road.

I take it it will be a case of jacking it up, removing liner and undertray and unbolting everything?

Seems the Autolusso kit is the best port of call, not great when having to convert to the Euro!!!

Just changed the oil and filter in last couple of weeks as well, c'est la vie!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Seems I have the dreaded oil cooler problem.

Driving home yesterday afternoon and decided to stop off at the in-laws, thankfully as it happens. Got our of the car to find a puddle of oil at the front wheel and a very oily arch liner. I think if we had continued on our journey we could have run in to major problems. Couldn't get the wheel arch liner off due to some very stuck screws and limited tools with me, so have had to leave it sitting for now. Borrowed a car to get home and there is a lovely line of oil along the road.

I take it it will be a case of jacking it up, removing liner and undertray and unbolting everything?

Seems the Autolusso kit is the best port of call, not great when having to convert to the Euro!!!

Just changed the oil and filter in last couple of weeks as well, c'est la vie!
Can you temporarily just blank it off until you get the car home? Careful not to overheat the oil

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Can you temporarily just blank it off until you get the car home? Careful not to overheat the oil
The faff of undoing the unions by the oil filter and diverting the flow back on itself isn't worth it.. At that point you've half done the replacement job...

Wrong time of year to be driving about without the oil cooler too!

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
You can't blank it off but you can disconnect one of the pipes from the cooler back round in to the housing as a temporary get you home, i.e. remove the cooler and one of the pipes

I am not recommending do this but it will get you home

Ned

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a van that I am in most of the week anyway so not stuck for it and it is not in the way where it is. Rather just take it apart and do it once.

No doubt Ned I will be in contact re. parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Day off yesterday so it was off with the old cooler, can definitely see where the problem is.

Have just received the new kit which should keep me busy for a while when I get time to get back at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have a van that I am in most of the week anyway so not stuck for it and it is not in the way where it is. Rather just take it apart and do it once.

No doubt Ned I will be in contact re. parts.
I fitted an Autolusso kit back in May. I can vouch for the quality of the kit and it's also really easy to fit too.
Getting the bumper off was the hardest part!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I fitted an Autolusso kit back in May. I can vouch for the quality of the kit and it's also really easy to fit too.
Getting the bumper off was the hardest part!!
The fittings certainly look like they will take a bit of wear and tear alright.

Was a straight forward job removing the old one with exception of a few stubborn screws/bolts and got the bumper off without any hassle.

Have left everything stripped so will be just bolting all back together and hopefully that will be that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
GT JTDM Oil Cooler Leak

I too have the dreaded leaking oil cooler problem - made itself known with a few drops of oil which luckily the missus spotted when she was parked on some concrete paving, a look under the front right hand side revealed the problem, oil weeping from the oil cooler pipe connections - luckily (?) we don't have an undertray on our GT so it was easy to see. I have ordered the AutoLusso kit which at about £300 is half the price of a genuine cooler and pipes. Their website has some pictures of how to change it which I hope will be helpful next week when I get round to changing it - it seems they have had to change the bracket from the one shown so it will be a little more fiddly as the new bracket needs some fettling to fit. so we will see.

picture below is the current state of the original cooler and pipes - for some unknown reason the picture gets turned upside down once uploaded, but you can see the issue and what to look for on your GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
That pic makes the connection look like its just covered in waxoyl .....rather than a leak

Curious to know how you get on with the swap over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

61 - 75 of 75 Posts