Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys could someone advise on which OBD fault code reader to buy for my GT I'm fed up spending a fortune getting the fault codes read just to point me in the right direction.
Cheers good people. Mark

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morning guys could someone advise on which OBD fault code reader to buy for my GT I'm fed up spending a fortune getting the fault codes read just to point me in the right direction.
Cheers good people. Mark
Do you have a link to the one that works on the GT please so I can just go ahead and order one, I don't want to spend time searching for ones that possibly won't marry up.many thnx. Mark

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also guys does it make any difference with mine being a Diesel JTD the one on the above is the Elm 327 OBD2 works with IPad/IPhone app so at £9 looks the nuts anyone have this or know anything about it, just wanna make sure it's the one for my car.
Regards. Mark

·
Registered
446 Posts
it's the ELM 327 model, works fine with any software just had to re-solder pins to read diff. data, default is engine, if you want to read ABS etc. you need to re-solder pin 7 to pin 1 I think, just get a schematic for the 327

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Any generic reader is ok for the later diesels. I have an 2004 diesel and every reader I've tried has worked. Should be able to buy a basic reader that gives live data, fault codes and allows code clearing for £20.
My favorite at the moment I a blue tooth thing and odb Joe on a windows phone.
MES is best but is hassle but is the only option I think for air bag.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mate will this work with an iPhone or any apple device ? I ordered the Torque one last night but had to cancel the sale as after reading it again it was only for android not iPhone ?
Cheers Mark

D

·
0 Posts
Any cheap OBD 2 adapter with Bluetooth is good you can buy on eBay or Aliexpress with a smartphone to read errors and smart choice for diagnostic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQSsUPrGLHs

Search results on eBay
Be careful with the cheap ebay ones, they are nothing but rubbish and i had to replace the dashboard binnacle in my GT after placing the reader into the OBD port :furious:

As mentioned above somewhere you need ELM327, Read the product description as some don't support diesel.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Can't see why the phone type makes any difference. The thing you plug in should just be a generic reader that outputs bluetooth diagnostic data in a standard format. It shouldn't be designed for any specific App such as Torque. Any App that can read the generic data format should work fine whether it's Android or Apple. And surely Bluetooth is Bluetooth, there are no Android or Apple versions, it should be the same in all cases so that EBay link above doesn't make much sense unless it's just a plug to sell the Torque App.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I purchased a viecar obd2 reader that is iPhone enabled and it won't pair up ? Does anyone with a GT JTD have one that definitely works with an iPhone so that I can order the exact same one the Viecar one I purchased wasn't a cheap one either as I had been warned about purchasing cheap eBay ones.
Thnx guys. Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018Z8LXUO?psc=1

I have similar to this. It works.
I used mine with torque app on android. Im not familiar with iphones but if the app is available for iphone I imagine it should be good. Maybe you could get somebody with android to try just to confirm. It doesn't need the app to connect anyway , thats a bluetooth issue , even a lap top should see it .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts