Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
folks i still have an issue with the warning light coming on displaying number plate light failure but it comes on during the day when i have no lights on ? the lights work fine all round the car , i have seen on another thread that maybe diconecting the battery overnight could cure it, does that sound correct to the more experienced alfa techs here ?? many thnx ..Mark

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have same issue on an 06 gt 1.9.

Sometimes it happens and sometimes not, sometimes I find one of the number plate bulbs isn't working, then give it a hit and it the fixes it self up untill the next time i restart it....

Haven't opened it but seems pretty simple in my case at least

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a real ball ache mate cos when i get the warning alarm the lights aint even on so there is no fault, think i will just dissarm the warning beep and just allow it to display the message as i have checked all bulbs,wiring etc and everyhting sems ok ..that way it wont drive me insane on a long journey ...lol

·
Banned
857 Posts
Yep. As mentioned in the other thread, the plug from the bodywork to the bumper carrying the power to the number plate lights is fitted right in the firing line for spray and dirt thrown up by the right rear wheel.

No need to go to the drastic measure of cutting it out though. I took mine apart, cleaned it thoroughly, drenched the connectors in spray silicone grease and re-assembled it. Also fitted mudflaps at the time and I've never seen the warning since.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok r11co will go through that process next was a little concerned at the thought of cutting and soldering the wires i must admit ?? lol

·
Banned
857 Posts
If the connectors are really dirty then use either isopropyl alcohol spray or PCB contact cleaner spray on them. Any signs of corrosion scrape it off with a jeweler's screwdriver.

Make sure you've got them cleaned up and connect them up temporarily to test them before you go spraying them with the grease though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the same problem. Intermittent warning of bulb failure but bulb seemed ok. Replaced the bulb and no more problems, likely to be just a poor connection or the bulb on its way out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, it was me that cut the plug off :rolleyes:

In my case the plug had been dangling down loose for so long that the wires had started to breakup right next to the plug, so close it was impossible to repair properly.

If the wires look OK then cleaning the plug out should as mentioned before sort it. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thnx to all for your comments ,all taken on board and will investigate further with more knowledge thanks to you all .. Regards ..Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

I literally got my car yesterday GT JTD.

It has 3 minor issues, this being one of them (previous owner said something about a pinched wire but I thought probs a resistance error).

One being drivers check strap slightly clicking and a bit of wind noise on what seems to be the B Pillar area of passenger side..

The bulb does work fine but ill change it anyway first to see if it goes!

If not ill do as suggested and clean connector, Is it a wheel off and arch liner out job?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
11 Posts
My GT just started doing this too, haven't had a look yet but will be following everybodys advice at the weekend :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts