Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around the beginning of November the front passenger side suspension started making a groaning/knocking noise. The GT went into the garage towards the end of November and that was solved with a new upper suspension arm/bush and shock bearing. Problem solved......well nearly!

Since then the same front passenger side wheel has been making a metallic knocking type of noise. The only way I could describe it would be, you know the type of noise you get when you have a stone or nail lodged in your tyre you get a, pretty regular, tapping type of noise as the wheel rolls. This new noise I have is the same, in that the noise happens on a regular patter, but is defiantly more metallic. It almost sounds like something is knocking against the wheel, or some part of the suspension.

The noise has also coincided with a fall in consumption and the number of miles im getting from a tank. If you will indulge me, ive been tracking my mpg since getting the GT and if I list the results since May of this year you can see the drop off in performance:

27 May - 562 miles - 40.8mpg
22 June - 547miles - 43.8mpg
13 July - 559miles - 44.8mpg
14 August - 566miles - 44.3mpg
3 September - 514miles - 44mpg
21 October - 530miles - 42.2mpg
20 November - 493miles - 39.9mpg <--The GT went into the garage on the 7th Nov for the suspension issues.
8 December - 500miles - 40.1mpg
22 December - 461miles - 37.8mpg

My current tank is looking like another 460miler!

Since getting the GT iv'e changed my driving to be more conservative mostly, changing at 2k revs etc...so to suddenly drop from getting 540 miles from a tank on a regular basis to sub 500 stands out to me, combined with the noise, makes me think something is wrong!

Anyone have any idea what might be making the noise?

Thanks! :smiley2:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i had a noise that took a while to figure it was a droning noise then when u steered a thumping noise.........it was a knackered wheel bearing.
have u have that wheel of the floor and spun it......i think mine made a slight ticking when it was unweigthed and spun.....there will be no play in the wheel top to bottom as the drive shaft holds the bearing firm
Gary

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it helps, the knocking noise continues when using the breaks, that to me rules out a breaking issue. You suggest a wheel bearing problem?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
my noise continued when braking and costing...i was thinking it was diff or cv joint and a mate went for a spin and said wheel bearing
not saying it is your problem but it may be something to look at, mine was passenger side rear bearing that was shot.....they seem to catch the water been close to the curb in deeper water.

jack ur car up spin the wheel and hold the coil spring......apparently you can feel vibrations via the spring if wheel bearing is shot.......maybe binding wheel bearing is responsible for drop in economy? cooler weather means less mpg anyway

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jack ur car up spin the wheel and hold the coil spring......apparently you can feel vibrations via the spring if wheel bearing is shot.......maybe binding wheel bearing is responsible for drop in economy? cooler weather means less mpg anyway
Sounds intresting, will give that a go this weekend! :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Jack up each wheel and spin it. As it turns, rest your finger tips on the spring. If the bearing is shot, you will feel a vibration through the suspension.

Also watch the tyre carefully, if the suspension or bearing is shot, they can end up like a 50p piece. SO you get the same "bearing" drone from the tyre.

And if you are planning to diy, there should be a "how-to" very soon .. I've just done a rear on my 156 ;)

Also, check each wheel that a balance weight isn't knocking against something .. steering joint, etc. With very little clearance a weight in the wrong place or too thick will catch.

Other option, drive shaft CV failing, brake disc warped and catching on backing plate or something else, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A wheel bearing would make a low rumble - I would jack the car up and check that the brake backing plate is not touching or possibly a balancing weight.

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
Really? Ive gone from averaging 540ish miles a tank to 470ish miles, that cant all be due to it being winter! :confused:
Ate too much over Christmas...

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ate too much over Christmas...
Cheeky get! :p

@gazza82, @albero, all good points. If the weather is good looks like I know what im doing this weekend! :thumbs:

·
Registered
656 Posts
For a dunce like me, where/what is that/looks like? :eek:
The damper is about halfway on the passenger side driveshaft. Its a round lump of rubber about 2 inch diameter 4-5inch lenght. Its bonded to the driveshaft and is there to eleminate vibrations.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
just like to add something to this mate regarding the mpg....on thinking back i was only getting 55 mpg on a run as opposed to 60 while i had the noise/problem.........slightly binding bearing causing drop in fuel?? its back up to what i should be now.......how does that tally with your drop in mpg?

Gary

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@alid1, thank you I'll remember to check that out!

@hdseven, well before the noise I think I was averaging 44-45mpgish, and now ive been around 38-40mpg. Defiantly been a noticeable drop off in mpg since the noise!

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well there you go, a broken exhaust support bracket! 40 quid later and I have a silent running GT! :thumbs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts