Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am still getting used to my GT lol

I have noticed that when I fill the car up to say a 1/4 tank, I park her up on my drive (flat) and come back and start her, the fuel needle has dropped one or maybe two lines on the gauge and my range has dropped quite a bit??

Is this normal?

I have also had an issue where i turned her off and started her again and the needle went from the top of the red to all the way down to the bottom and telling me to refuel asap.

I know on most cars the bottom half of the tank vanishes quicker then the top half of the tank

does it need resetting or looking at or is it just the GT way? I want to full tank her and see what real range I get but if the fuel gauage isnt being true thats not gonna be much use haha

Cheers

Bilal

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
If they're anything like the 156's I've owned, there can be a massive difference in readings depending on the camber / slope you are parked on...

Just a quirk I've got used to :)

G

·
0 Posts
Exactly as Jon says... They are quirky. There isn't much you can do about it either... A live feed gives the exact level it reads in the tank at the time you turn off but when you get back in the car and the fuel has settled depending on the relation of the car to the road surface, it can have a completely different reading. The location and relation of the fuel pump/sender unit in the tank and the design of the tank itself don't exactly help either!

In fact, it can be said that going round a long corner you can either have no fuel reading or a full tank... On other marques, they have a regulator sensor and relays that settle the gauge to an average overall reading but doesn't give a real time live feed effect to the gauges... Is that better? Yes and no... At least with an Alfa its a live feed scenario so far less complicated and a lot less to go wrong with the system, just confuses the owner that's all:lol:

It can be alleviated by keeping the tank topped up though which seems to settle the gauge reading to a slower level of reading;)

G

·
0 Posts
Man these alfas are quirky motors!

Quirky.... But damn good:D:cheese:

Think of them as a wife... bloody awkward when you only want the basics out of them but yet there is that glance, that look, that feeling that just makes you fall in love with them all over again!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Yup, gotta love 'em :thumbs:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been saying the alfa gt is like a hot woman, you are willing to put up with a bit more attitude and grief then normal because when you look at her you are like wowwwwwwwwwwww

and every do often you find a women that has everything you want and you love her regardless of her faults! lol

K

·
0 Posts
I used to find that nose up gave higher readings, as did the offside being on the kerb. It's better than the Volvo system where, when the light comes on, it stays on. I jacked ours up briefly at the weekend and triggered the light even though there was 1/4 tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts