Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I think the thermostat on my GT might be on it's way out?
It's taking much longer to heat up, though this could be just down to our recent arctic weather?, but once it's up to 90 degrees it normally stay's there but it's started dropping to 70'ish when sat in traffic, lights,etc.
From searching the forums, this does seem to be a symptom of thermostat issues, but I wondered if anyone could tell me where the thermostat is located (& if it is a job I could do myself) and also where a good place to buy one from would be?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Hmm not so sure. If it runs at 90 when driving it is working. It will drop in traffic in this cold weather due to it being so cold and you taking the heat out of the engine to warm the cabin. JTD's don't produce as much heat as petrols anyway so when it is idling in the freezing cold it will drop. I'd say you are alright. If it starts dropping off below 70 when driving then yes your stat has failed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Joss,

I was going to keep an eye on it & see if it's still playing up when the weather warms up.
Just out of interest though....where is it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Cheers Joss,

I was going to keep an eye on it & see if it's still playing up when the weather warms up.
Just out of interest though....where is it?
If you take off the plastic engine cover, it is located on the right side of the engine block (i.e. looking into the engine bay from the front of the car) but is partially covered by other bits and bobs. As I recall, it required some slim tools to get a decent grip on the bolts holding it on and get around the obstructions.

My own experience with the GT is that when the thermostat started going wrong, the temperature gauge needle would fluctuate all the time, struggling to get up to 90, then dropping back to 70, then repeated again.

Having replaced the thermostat, it stays rock solid at 90 once its get up to that operating temperature and stays there regardless of whether I'm in heavy traffic, speed, or using the internal heater.

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi mine does exactly the same did the top hose check all ok the colder it is the further it drops when you slow down or get caught it traffic . Joss is right diesels dont retain there heat in cold weather unless you are driving at a reasonable speed ,been puzzzling me the last few weeks this has think its an Alfa trait lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, again, I think I'll just keep an eye on it & see if it sorts itself out when it warms up a bit.
Fuel consumption doesn't seem to have gone up so hopefully it's ok.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hmm not so sure. If it runs at 90 when driving it is working. It will drop in traffic in this cold weather due to it being so cold and you taking the heat out of the engine to warm the cabin. JTD's don't produce as much heat as petrols anyway so when it is idling in the freezing cold it will drop. I'd say you are alright. If it starts dropping off below 70 when driving then yes your stat has failed.
+1

My Jtd is the same in this weather. Runs at 90 when moving, but in these freezing conditions its around 70c at the lights. Move off, back to 90. I kept an eye on it too at first then realised it was weather affected/cabin heater on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I havent opened one, so i have completely no idea but is it at all possible to replace the internals of the thermostat housing with universal bits? Just thinking of other ways to reduce the cost in this economical climate.......:)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
+1

My Jtd is the same in this weather. Runs at 90 when moving, but in these freezing conditions its around 70c at the lights. Move off, back to 90. I kept an eye on it too at first then realised it was weather affected/cabin heater on.
same here.

out of curiosity ...is it measuring the temp of the coolant or the oil ...or something else lol

I'm still learning about cars!

M

·
0 Posts
Coolant... sensor is on thermostat housing.

Doubt you can replace gubbins as it has two valves in the thermostat. Alfashop do oem ones for a good price but I see the same. New oem stat, new water pump and when it's cold an I a just about town it struggles to get temp up with interior heater on. No sure it drops as low as 70 though but then line below 90 is actually 80 not 70 like a lot of people think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the sake of anyone who has stat problems, the gt stat is found on a bunch of other cars, get the part number or ean number and do a bit of searching u will find that some are quite a bit cheaper than others. Dont search by car because you will get the higher price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts