Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, had car 3 months now love it to bits, fitted tunning box very pleased with the increased power that gives.Previous owner serviced it, but ignored all little problems Ie heated rear window only top half works,elec window pass side has a mind of its own tried the soft reset loads time works for a while then problems start again, headlight ajusters not working at all ,now have a knock from front N/S car has just passed its MOT so ARB bushes and whishboness should be ok any one got any ideas what problem might be,wipers when you wash screen the wipers should wipe it sometimes it works sometimes it does not its an ALFA I here you say. This is my first one and i am finding this out to my cost.Done little jobs on it since i got it as it has been neglected a bit. new headlight bulbs ,new wipers ,getting paintwork sorted by detailer tues.Wife wittering in my ear this car is costing us,I say its an ALFA dear its 5 years old got have a few problems, sigh ,sort one out another appears.Still it certainly not boring being an ALFA owner.Just wish I could afford to sort all little problems out will soldier on, tackling one at a time, while keeping my fingers crossed as I sort one another, does not appear. Not to hopefull .

·
Registered
912 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything major there at all. What's all the panic about!?

If you can't drive it without waiting for the next problem to show up then you're gonna stress out, wish you'd never bought it, trade it in for a Toyota and then slag Alfa's to everyone else. RELAX! ;)

How many miles has it done?

Do you know if it's had a new battery at all? That might cure the window problem.

Wipers, bulbs and paint get worn on ALL makes of car. CHILL! :cool:

The clunk will almost certainly be an upper wishbone that needs replacing. They probably missed it on the MoT. No biggie.

The intermittent wiper thing - so what? Just flick the stalk if you want it to wipe. I think it's programmed to wipe or not depending on how long you hold the wash.

Heated rear window might be a bit of a pain but it ain't going to leave you stranded is it?

Oh, and good choice of car - WELCOME :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Knocking is more likely to be ARB bushes than upper wishbone. MOT would have picked up wheel movement if upper wishbones are worn enough to knock whereas the ARB is difficult to pick up and probably wouldn't worry a tester so much even if there was slight looseness there. Mine was knocking during a recent MOT but still passed. I haven't got around to working out what's causing the problem yet, but am pretty sure it's not upper wishbones.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Heated rear window problem is likely to be a damaged element, easy to do if you overload the rear of the car, close the tailgate and hit something.

As for windows and knocking suspension, well, no surprises there.

The headlight adjusters is an unusual one, can't recall any complaints there, just had a quick look at the manual and it seems fuse F13 is for 'headlight aiming device' , which is shared with LH dipped beam, so providing your headlights are working it can't be the fuse. Must admit after owing a BMW E34 5 series back in the 90s, where the headlight adjusters siezed through lack of use, I regularly try mine to make sure they're still functioning. Mind you the BMW adjusters were exposed to the elements, it seems quite protected at the back of the headlight area on the GT.

The wash/wipe function is an oddity, on mine the wipers will sometimes start moving the moment I pull on the stalk, other times I have to hold the stalk back a good few seconds before the wipers move.

Season's greetings

Pub

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi would never slag the car off, think it a really good car love driving it, and the fact its an ALFA is a bonus. The mileage is 43 thousand and its an 06

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the replies.The wash/wipe prob is the same as yours pubsinger so maybe its just foible of the car

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought a 55 reg GT JTD too, second owner, my first Alfa, now 6 years old and 55000 miles so similar to yours. Lots of minor problems but the basics are all fine and frankly delightful. My wife, initially sceptical, says the car has lots of quirks and she has given it a pet name and I think she likes it now. My advice to you based on similar experience is (1) tackle the problems one at a time (most irritating one first if they are irritating you) and for each one start by searching this forum because there is a lot of traffic here and someone else is bound to have posted the correct answer already, and (2) Alfa fit some pretty weedy batteries (amazingly there doesn't even seem to be a minimum spec for a GT battery) and at your car's age the battery is probably on its last legs; you will cure or prevent a lot of electrical gremlins simply by replacing it with the most powerful battery that fits. Again search this forum for 'gt battery' to get lots of experience from other people including me. Get this job done before winter weather really starts.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Tbh i'd expect the same minor faults on something like a bm. Alfas are unfairly treated due to poor past history. On the plus side the issue will probably cost you a quarter of what it would if it was a german marque on the front

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Knocking is more likely to be ARB bushes than upper wishbone. MOT would have picked up wheel movement if upper wishbones are worn enough to knock whereas the ARB is difficult to pick up and probably wouldn't worry a tester so much even if there was slight looseness there. Mine was knocking during a recent MOT but still passed. I haven't got around to working out what's causing the problem yet, but am pretty sure it's not upper wishbones.
+1 for this answer, i had worn anti roll bar bushes and it passed mot, could possible be drop link but test would have found that, or should have.....!!
ARB nock if a fast quiet one where as drop link is slower kind of bang

·
Registered
912 Posts
+1 for this answer, i had worn anti roll bar bushes and it passed mot, could possible be drop link but test would have found that, or should have.....!!
ARB nock if a fast quiet one where as drop link is slower kind of bang
Thinking about it: +1 Also.

I remember now that the upperwishbone is more of a squeak and the ARB bush is what knocks.

Mine's a December 2006 model, also with 43,000 miles on it and I recently had to replace both upper wishbones and ARB drop links. Fortunately it's a job I can do myself so not very expensive. Labour shouldn't be more than 1 hour a side.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Actually with the low mileage I'd have said the knocking is probably drop links rather than ARB bushes. These things seem to last no time at all in some cases. Nice and cheap to change.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Tbh i'd expect the same minor faults on something like a bm. Alfas are unfairly treated due to poor past history. On the plus side the issue will probably cost you a quarter of what it would if it was a german marque on the front
This ^.

Had my GT about a month now I think. Picked it up on the day we went to the NEC Classic. I have so far replaced a lower turbo hose and bought a second key, which still needs programming. Whilst the hose had a hole I got a Water in fuel warning and then shortly after the EML came on.
Hose replaced and the light continued to stay on so I have bought a cheap bluetooth ELM OBDII connector off eBay. On Friday coming home from work I decided I would plug it in an try my free copy of FiatECUScan and without word of a lie in less than a minute the light went out before I got home and stayed out.
My GT is so damn good she knows what I'm thinking, more than just a soul (and a diesel too) but thinks for itself too :lol:
The bluetooth ELM is good aswell. I have just left it plugged in and got a free app for my Android, the novelty will wear off soon I think! Tried the laptop and all the engine stuff is there at least.

Not used the Spider much due to bad weather, but I do think these cars are a bit different from the rest even this diesel.

My Passat was not unreliable as such but used to look good at Christmas with all the dash lights on :lol:
A 95 and then a 96 Honda Accord have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned, the worst being a Ferrari Mondial which for the first four years required regular praying just to start it :lol: It was fine the last year of ownership when I eventually cleared all the electrical issues up. It was 27 years old when I sold it mind :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts