Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all, brand new to the forum and for my first post, a barrage of questions!!

I finally took the Alfa plunge after years of wanting one (and wimping out and buying german instead), and picked up a lovely 2007 GT JTDm Blackline last week. I'm absolutely loving it, can't stop looking back at it when I've parked up! But there are some teething problems I'm noticing.

First, the engine seems to struggle to start sometimes. I suspect glow plugs are tired and need replacing, but there isn't an error message of any kind. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Assuming it is the glow plugs, which ones should I get - there is widespread talk of longer and shorter plugs. I assume I need the shorter ones for the JTDm 150 but would like to be sure.

Second, I noticed a damp area in the boot, inside the right hand cubby. I'm assuming water is getting in somewhere, any ideas? Light fitting or drains somewhere maybe?

Lastly, the gearstick is a little vague, is this just a characteristic of the gearbox? The car has done just under 120k, all gears work properly and are easy enough to find, but I wouldn't mind tightening up the change a bit.

Any help is much appreciated!1

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Unlikely to be the glow plugs, it should start easily this time of year even if the glow plugs aren't working at all.

The plugs are the same in the 150/170, part #46792355

Having said that mine can be a be funny if I put the key in and start cranking straight away, only way is to stop, turn off the ignition, turn ignition on and wait for the lights to go out then it will start straight away.

When was the last time it had a service? Might be worth giving the usual suspects a clean, MAF, MAP, EGR.

Do you mean the high-up plastic cubby hole with the door just under the parcel shelf? Finding water leaks can be a real PITA, if the car is wet simply opening the tailgate can cause water to splash everywhere. As you say, seals or ill-fitting light cluster. Mind you it wouldn't be the light cluster if the water is all the way up there. If all else fails get in the boot and have someone on the outside with a hose.

Plastic 'top hat' bushes can cause the gear change to stiffen up preventing the stick centering, quite a few posts on the subject. Mine will be really stiff if the car has stood for a while, I've had the replacement bushes for a couple of years, one of those round-to-it jobs.

Welcome to the forum, you'll find us a friendly bunch.

All the best, Pub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unlikely to be the glow plugs, it should start easily this time of year even if the glow plugs aren't working at all.

The plugs are the same in the 150/170, part #46792355

Having said that mine can be a be funny if I put the key in and start cranking straight away, only way is to stop, turn off the ignition, turn ignition on and wait for the lights to go out then it will start straight away.

When was the last time it had a service? Might be worth giving the usual suspects a clean, MAF, MAP, EGR.

Do you mean the high-up plastic cubby hole with the door just under the parcel shelf? Finding water leaks can be a real PITA, if the car is wet simply opening the tailgate can cause water to splash everywhere. As you say, seals or ill-fitting light cluster. Mind you it wouldn't be the light cluster if the water is all the way up there. If all else fails get in the boot and have someone on the outside with a hose.

Plastic 'top hat' bushes can cause the gear change to stiffen up preventing the stick centering, quite a few posts on the subject. Mine will be really stiff if the car has stood for a while, I've had the replacement bushes for a couple of years, one of those round-to-it jobs.

Welcome to the forum, you'll find us a friendly bunch.

All the best, Pub.
Hi Pub, thanks for the reply. Good to know, I'll have a poke around the various gas flow areas and see what I can find. It's strange, the car sometimes starts right up, sometimes struggles and splutters into life with a plume of smoke! It's been recently serviced, but I don't know to what level, as I don't know the garage that did it.

Yes, that's the cubby hole I'm talking about! I'll keep an eye on it and see if the dry weather sorts it out, otherwise i'm off hunting for leaks, much joy...

The bushes I've read about, I don't think that's actually the issue - the gearstick centres without a problem, there just seems to be a lot of play in gear and not a lot of definition between them. Might just be me being fussy, I'm used to a Skoda Fabia with a gearbox that is nice and slick, minimal movement in gear and easy definition between them. Don't know if I'm describing it very well!

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,449 Posts
The gear stick play will be the bush at the base of the gear stick that has broken.

There are a few differences depended on the model of the car, but a few videos show the different problems.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,449 Posts
And the water leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much Paul. I've done a good bit of driving in it today and it does seem to be getting a bit stiffer, and not springing back to the centre from 1st/2nd in particular, so I will have a look at replacing the bush when I can. Had a bit of rain last night, the cubby hole is still dry this morning, so hopefully that was just a bit of water coming off the boot lid!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New top hat bushes on order, will fit them next weekend when I'm off work. Also need to get an alignment booked, the car is pulling to the left just slightly, and the wheel is a little off centre in the same direction - only a small niggle but it'll bother me if I know I can get it sorted!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
For the starting issue it’s well worth having a look at swirl flaps, on a 2007 I would assume it has plastic manifold with metal flaps that can and do break off causing ingestion and damage to engine.
Unfortunately only way to tell if they are there or not is to remove manifold

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a look last night and it is indeed a black plastic manifold, EGR/manifold clean and swirl flap removal is most definitely on the cards - I do not want to have to spend 3 or 4 figures on a new engine!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Luckily most of the time even if it has ingested flaps it is not a massive amount of money. I put recon head and turbo on mine as both were damaged. Head was £250 exchange from autolusso and turbo about 150 exchange I think. Plus the belts and gaskets etc.
But it is better to get it off ASAP and remove them is still fitted as they are a ticking time bomb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts