Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the alternator on my GT jtdm yesterday.
I had a quick look on here before starting the job but I couldn't find much info.
I took the alternator out from the top. As per Elearn.
So It can be done. Would I do it that way again?
No way.
On a positive note the bleeding has stopped and my wounds are healing nicely. :rofl:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feel your struggle,i did my 147 alternator as per Elearn,if i ever had to do it again i would attack it from underneath.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel your struggle,i did my 147 alternator as per Elearn,if i ever had to do it again i would attack it from underneath.
Yea. Me to!
I've had the drive shafts out a few times so it wouldn't be a problem. The reason I didn't do it from underneath was because I couldn't find any posts where somebody has said categorically that it can be done.

So. Is there anybody out there who has removed an alternator on a GT 1.9 Jtdm from underneath by removing the drive shaft?
If so why does Alfa Romeo advise to take it out from the top?

Cheers,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've not done it but I think you have to drop the back of the subframe a bit, too, as with changing the anti-roll bar bushes, to create enough space to extract the alternator.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I tried from underneath and it beat me but I was on my back rather than using a four post lift. Garage went from underneath as well but they were pretty tight lipped about the details of the final extraction. I suspect they got as far as me and used a crowbar and mallet.
Well done for going in from above. Both approaches possible but little to merit either.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I gave up from the top, with the head off. Nothing wrong with the alternator but I thought it'd be sensible to do at 80k mls. Every failed alternator I've had has died around 90k. Impossible for me with the car already on axle stands, I'd have needed to be 8 feet tall with quad-joint arms, I couldn't find the fastenings for the cast alloy HP fuel pump bracket, and it was freezing cold. 3 years on, I still have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave up from the top, with the head off. Nothing wrong with the alternator but I thought it'd be sensible to do at 80k mls. Every failed alternator I've had has died around 90k. Impossible for me with the car already on axle stands, I'd have needed to be 8 feet tall with quad-joint arms, I couldn't find the fastenings for the cast alloy HP fuel pump bracket, and it was freezing cold. 3 years on, I still have my fingers crossed.
Hi Halftone,
Not sure if I've misunderstood what your saying but the HP fuel pump doesnt need to come off to get the alternator out.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Given the similarities of the Pratola Serra engine, I did one on a TS years ago by removing driveshaft and exhaust. A couple of years ago, I changed it on the JTS doing much the same thing. It was a pain though as in both cases I had to lower and draw the timing cover end of the engine forward to remove the alternator lower mounting bolt as it fouled the inner wing before it was fully out. The only mounting holding the powertrain in was the gearbox mounting to left side inner wing.

I think the alternator removes where the exhaust runs below the engine but I think I made a meal of it on the JTS.

On my JTS, the alternator 2nd change was done at 95k. It seems alternators fail if the PAS fluid is overfilled and vents through the cap breather onto the alternator. Otherwise, alternators seem to last well over 100k (even more like twice that).

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
I did it recently on a 1.9 JTDM from below, dropped the subframe a bit but left the bottom arm balljoints in. Downpipe off, tunnel dropped, rear engine mount off, top steady off, bottom pulley & aux belt tensioner both off, O/S driveshaft out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pud237;17518333d said:
I did it recently on a 1.9 JTDM from below, dropped the subframe a bit but left the bottom arm balljoints in. Downpipe off, tunnel dropped, rear engine mount off, top steady off, bottom pulley & aux belt tensioner both off, O/S driveshaft out.
Pud237,
Looking at that procedure I don't think there would be much time to be saved, for me, doing the job from underneath on a driveway with axle stands.
Having done the job from the top and with it still fresh in my mind I reckon I could do it again in under 3 hours.

I was still aching on Tuesday though. At times I was having to lie down on the engine as I couldn't reach any other way. It was all done in a rush as i had to remove it on Saturday morning, get it to Euro car parts to ensure the replacement was correct and refit it Saturday afternoon as I needed the car Sunday morning.
As it turned out the new one didn't fit first time! But that's another story.

This week I've spoken to an independent Fiat/Alfa service engineer and he assured me that they do them from underneath.

I would be interested to know how long it takes to do from underneath though.

Cheers,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hi Halftone,
Not sure if I've misunderstood what your saying but the HP fuel pump doesnt need to come off to get the alternator out.

Steve.
The pump and cylinder head were off, along with the inlet manifold, fuel filter and oil vacuum separator, which I thought was a good opportunity to fit a new alternator from upstairs. Because the car was tall on axle stands, I just couldn't reach the damn thing - and removing the gigantic cast pump support looked like it should help access a lot, from directly above. Unfortunately I just could not work out or see where the bracket fixings were. Eventually I gave up because darkness and hypothermia won, and the alternator had nothing wrong with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts