Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All and Happy New Year.
Butch, my 1.9 JTD GT has started being reluctant to find Reverse on odd occasions. the gate lifts the lever comes across but won't pull back fully into reverse and then jumps out when released. So far engaging first and allowing the clutch to bite just enough for the car to move forward an inch has been enough to shift whatever the problem is and the reverse has then engaged easily just like it used to; but yesterday I had to it twice so it might be getting slightly worse.
It happened for the first time about a fortnight ago and seems to happen randomly but usually after the car has been parked in neutral for a while. All other 6 forward gears are lovely and slick ( at the moment )
Anyone had this problem? any one with any suggestions?
thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well worth doing what's been mentioned, it's exactly a problem I had when I bought mine a few weeks ago, topped up the slave and its all good again

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks very much for the suggestions.
Interesting that the weak slave cylinder would only affect reverse, I'd have thought insufficient clutch lift would affect all the gears
When you say top up the slave did you mean bleed the slave or just top up the brake/clutch fluid. H.S.T I might as well do both anyway just to be sure.
I hope it isn't a weak slave cylinder because it's only a year old. I replaced it with the clutch about 6 months ago, but I'll check it anyway.
Thanks again

I should also say it happens the same whether the engine is turning or not.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Interesting. I'm having the same issue and my slave cylinder is not an original part I believe... might be worth putting an original one to try it out.
Anyone knows what brand is the OEM one? Trw?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If only it had been that simple,
Slave cylinder working fine, Clutch arm moving plenty, brake fluid full to max and lovely and clear as it should be after only six months of use.

Lever mechanism and cables also seem fine

So any other theories gratefully received. Any gearbox experts in this forum. . what's more likely Reverse gear meshing or selector mechanism/ arms.:depressed:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are all the other gears still selecting ok? I had a problem engaging reverse and then the other gears became increasing difficult to engage. Eventually you could only select reverse by stopping the engine then engaging reverse and turning the engine back on! Turned out that one of the lugs on the release bearing had broken off...Have you tried selecting gears with the engine off? and how far does the clutch pedal go down before you can select the gears?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
there is scope for adjustment on the mechanism on the top of the gearbox. When I did my top hat bushes I undid a bolt I need not have done and had to reset it. Basically there is not enough lateral movement when moving to reverse, the mechanism needs to be slackened off and nudged over to the 1st/2nd plane a bit to allow enough lateral movement to get it into reverse. Trial and error a bit. The battery has to comeout and the battery tray and unhitch the fuse box at the front if I remember correctly.

HTH

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Both and thanks for your suggestions.
samsdads156jtd.
It's marginally worse when the engine is stationary/off and goes in far more often when the engine is turning. if you see my first post I said that actually letting the clutch out to the biting point in first so that the car moves fractionally forward will usually allow it to then engage in reverse. When it does engage it engages easily.
Clutch pedal movement is as I would expect a new clutch with new "top hats", new slave cylinder and new brake fluid to be

purple145
That sounds very interesting I will investigate that as soon as it stops "slinging it down" and report back. I thought that arm fitted on a square and couldn't be adjusted. If it can that might well help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts