Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just one question...well actually two :)

Can anyone confirm me what`s the final specs of remapped GT JTD 0-60? Is it under 8 sec is it more like 7,5? Also what`s the curve of accelaration with higher speed?

I`m asking this because my V6 2.5 was round 7sec 0-60 so I just want to compare these data. if the specs are true does that mean that remapped JTD enters in V6 territory?

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
It very much depends on who has done the remap and how driveable it is.

Sandys, Tim and quite a few others have had the GT 1.9mjet remapped. I'm sure they'll be here in a bit...;)

Personally, I've had cars remapped, but all the 2.4 JTD variants. Whilst much quicker in real world driving than the 2.0 and 2.5, it's not got the same 'top end' pull or revs as the 3.0 or 3.2 V6 units.

Having said that I'd like one day to have a run against a 3.2 166/Brera/159 or 2.5 156 and compare them against mine. :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Not managed under 8 myself, though I didn't try too hard and was not far off (8.2), its a diesel the first 3 gears are really short, meaning you get loads of torque through a small area leading to traction issues plus having to snatch for more gears than a typical petrol, not tried since fitting the LSD as 0-60 doesn't really interest me its not an indicator of anything useful its not often I'll do a standing start when driving, these numbers don't relate to how it drives on the road though though, its pretty good.

You are near top of 3rd for 60 getting ready to snatch for 4th, this makes the 0-60 look unimpressive on paper, basically you get nowhere fast in first and second on the 1.9 with 3rd the cars starting to stretch its legs. How it compares to a 2.5 V6 its hard to say, i'd imagine its comparable.

I guess a better number to take out the pathetic first few gears would be 1/4 mile, I can do a 15.8, might not sound incredible but when you consider a number cars that will do that sort of time would have a good second or so on me from 0 to 60 I then claw it back from 60-100 where I have really good pace due to torque in 4th and 5th, these are the gears you'll be using on the road once going and they are great, runs out of puff at 120mph :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting to hear that run down Sandys, sounds about right!

Was wondering, does yours not go over 120mph? Only tried once and it pulled all the way to 130mph pretty easily (maxed out) - private road of course!

Have you noticed now with your LSD better traction from a standing start?

Tarquini, I had mine remapped to quoted 196bhp, though never had this dyno'd.... upped mpg from 35 to 40, and I definitely don't drive it any easier than before.. Lots of power from the the lower gears but didn't notice huge improvements mid to top end. In theory it should do 0-60 in under 8 seconds, though I also have not timed it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Its goes over 120 but not with the same haste as it got there, standing starts are pretty good now but as I don't want to break anything so I tend to refrain from that behaviour.

My current remap was quoted at a nice 205/210, in reality is a lot less, not cracked 190 yet despite numerous attempts. I'd be interested to hear and see any independant before/after Dynos from anyone who has cracked or got near 200 on the stock setup, I need to find out where my problem lies, whether its a car limitation/problem or just a poor remapper, although as I have all but signed on the dotted line for a Z4 Coupe, playing with JTD tuning is going to be history as shes being chopped in :lol:

Like you its the mid to high end thats lacking, the remap made thing a lot better but I'd like more, I guess the stock turbo just isn't cutting it, need more boost, might improve things if I sorted the exhaust and cooling.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Good luck with the Z4!!
Cheers, the missus is throwing all sorts of spanners in the works at the moment, throwing a little flap about kids and back seats :lol: guess she never thought I'd actually get to the point of buying a BMW due to all the derogatory stuff I have said about them in the past and suddenly its :wow: better stop him :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tarquini, I had mine remapped to quoted 196bhp, though never had this dyno'd
My current remap was quoted at a nice 205/210, in reality is a lot less, not cracked 190 yet despite numerous attempts. I'd be interested to hear and see any independant before/after Dynos from anyone who has cracked or got near 200 on the stock setup, I need to find out where my problem lies, whether its a car limitation/problem or just a poor remapper
Well first of all: Anyone with thorough knowledge of "our" 1.9 JTD(m) 16v can tell that everything above 180 bhp / 370 Nm torque for sure is overquoted.
My GT JTD is remapped by a very well known and respected Dutch tuner who is 200% dedicated to Alfa Romeo (JTDs). Car is remapped to a safe 175 (b)hp / 360 Nm torque. That's enough to steadily accelerate to 220 km/h. Topspeed around 235 is possible when I take my time.

Please don't be (mis)lead by just the bhp increase claimed by tuners. It's just a rat race and almost all tuners over-quote.

I guess the stock turbo just isn't cutting it
Good guess! GT JTD's turbo is one of the main limitations. The Alfa 159 JTDm 16v has basicly the same engine. But the 159 has an other (larger) turbo and better (stronger) clutch and gearbox. That's why the 159 has more potential for tuners than the GT JTD. (About 10 bhp / 25 Nm surplus). You should doubt the expertise of any tuner that claims the same power gain for both the GT and the 159.

Eric

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
You should doubt the expertise of any tuner that claims the same power gain for both the GT and the 159.

Eric
Thats one of a few reasons my 16V 159 hasnt been mapped, as they tend to use the same file for all 1.9 MJets.

The 159 accelerates right up to 200KMh as standard, slowly building after that.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The 159 accelerates right up to 200KMh as standard, slowly building after that.
I am sure it does but obviously it won't be to the same level as a remapped 1.9, larger turbo or not, lets face it, its a 150bhp, heavier, i'd imagine the large frontal area alone would impact your level of acceleration.

you will appreciate the extra few horses once you do a remap.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Yeah, I was just giving the standard performance perspective in case others arent pulling enough as standard.

The 159 has a torque reducing map for 1st gear - making it useless!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interesting to hear about the 159 do you think its parts are exchnageable with the GT. I really like my JTD, its just not quick enough, I was quite interested in tuning it further but it takes too much time and experimentation, I don't really have the enthusiasm for it. I am at 186bhp at the mo.
Well, I'm wondering that too! I know of a tuner that offers a kit for that GT JTD that promises 200+ , 400+ Nm torque. This kit comes - with among others - change turbocompressor, larger intercooler and modified motor management software. But I really doubt this claim, because I'm 100% sure that 400+ Nm torque will not do for a long time with the standard GT JTD clutch.

The 159 has a torque reducing map for 1st gear - making it useless!
cj romeo, can you please explain what's your problem with that.
The remap I use with my GT JTD actually REDUCES the torque in 1st gear, because the standard torque in 1st gear is more than the GT can handle. (The standard setting leads among others to dramatically invocation of the ASR system.)
Reducing the torque by a remap might surprise you, but, in terms of drivability, sometimes less is more.
In 2nd gear the torque is - for same reason - limited to somewhere between standaard and what's possible in terms of reliability and durability.
From 3rd gear and higher the torque is tuned to what's the max in terms of reliability and durability. This max differs from car to car, mainly because the quality/capacity of the turbo and the quality of the clutch and flywheel seem to differ from car to car....
Furthermore, "my" remap for safety reasons limits torque when the engine temparature is still low or to high.

Just to mention some things that imho are far more important to consider than just some plain BHP and NM claims.

Eric

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
cj romeo, can you please explain what's your problem with that.
Eric
I dont have a problem with it, I was trying to point out that this is one of the reasons why the 0-60 time of the JtD is no reflection of its real world performance as its 0-15 time is very long!

I know it needs reduced.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
:D the mapping goes on :)

well ive got a supposed 180 ish - might actually only be 175 - but does make a big diff to the car - accel is now much better and right up to red line if needed - isnt blisteringly quick, but a MUCH better drive than standard - dont notice any torque issues, but then dont really bother with first/2nd gears - third is where it all starts ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Vauxhall offer an approved remap for their (Fiat / Alfa's) 1.9 16v engine. Standard it's 148bhp, mapped and activated via the sport button it gives 195bhp:cool:

It costs c£700 though :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts